1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do dog owners/walkers...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Aug 18, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

I don't mean the guitarists, but the dog eating!

2. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

I would be happy to be molested in similar circumstances.

Go on @lanokia do your worst..

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Nooooooo

Why lay temptation at a weak man's door? Turn back from the path of sin and embrace the ... Love a good fondle haha ... light of salvation!

Dragonlady30 and primarycat like this.
  4. vannie

vannie Star commenter

There aren’t enough likes in the world for this. My boy is very nervous with a high prey drive. He likes to roll smaller dogs. He has a yellow bandana and is always on the lead. I have to scout before I can take him in the park (where all dogs should be on a lead) because there are always dogs running amok. Of course if my dog snaps at them he’ll be vilified. It really upsets me. ‘He just wants to play’ and ‘he’s just being friendly’ ... I always say ‘he’s a killer keep away’!

5. stanley4shoes

stanley4shoes Occasional commenter

It has a huge impact on where we walk, places with lots of sheep and mountainsides are a favourite at the moment (sadly neither on our doorstep) because very few dogs are off lead. The potential for injury, behavioural and physical, is huge, but somehow those being responsible with on lead dogs are the bad guys

vannie and primarycat like this.
  6. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Some dog owners are quite simply, lack wits. While many dog owners are decent responsible types, others haven't got a clue about how to train and properly look after a dog. In my experience, the ones with the least idea always go for the biggest dogs. I don't blame the dogs.

mothorchid and nomad like this.
  7. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Say 'hello' - oh, he's just being friendly. Give him a pat. Come on now. What a lovely set of white teeth. He's really smiling you know. ha ha

8. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I am a dog owner bur I hate it when other people's dogs jump up at me. Sometimes when I'm in the field and it's really muddy a dog will jump up and it gets my jeans all dirty. If an owner apologises then it doesn't feel so bad but there's one dog in particular, a little cockapoo, who does it and its owner never tells it off nor apologises to me,
    In my experience it's the little dogs that do it. Bigger dogs tend to be trained not to jump up by their owners because of their size but some owners with little dogs don't seem to think it matters.

JosieWhitehead, nomad and vannie like this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Cats are for people too lazy to own a dog

Grandsire likes this.
  10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

That's ridiculous I like cats more than dogs but when I worked full time I couldn't have owned a dog if I'd wanted to.

11. burajda

burajda Star commenter

Brings back happy memories. Dad put up a picture of snooker playing dogs in our living room.

nomad likes this.
  12. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I really hate dogs jumping up at me, or slobbering on me. Most dog owners don’t understand this. I also hate the smell of dogs - some people’s houses and cars make me want to gag.

I can admire beautiful or cute dogs from a distance, but I don’t want to own one, although the well-behaved little white dogs that French women carry round the shops seem like fun.

However, I have honed my cat-charming skills over the years, to the point where people who say ‘Don’t bother, he’s not friendly’ are then surprised to find their cat stretched out on my lap having its chin rubbed and its ears ever-so-gently pulled (mine love that!). In fact, I’ve rarely met a cat I can’t get on with.

mothorchid likes this.
  13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

15632EE5-A6BE-4605-AB1C-94453A1E0FEF.jpeg
    @nomad Jesmond dog would not trouble you.

a) he does not like water.

b) he would only reach your knees

14. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Id be happy if cat owners could somehow prevent their unwelcome beasts from sh!yt1ing on my grass. Or otherwise just shut up about them getting pans of hot water flung. Havent had to to do it yet but was away for last 4 wks, On catch-up.
    Take random ****-beasts in. or stop complaining.

bombaysapphire and nomad like this.
  15. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I’ve come home from holiday to find my elderly female cat has suddenly started using my lawn instead of digging nice holes at the back of borders. :eek:
    Don’t know what’s caused this sudden laziness but I’m hoping it’s a temporary blip and normal service will be resumed. I had a rescue cat once which always did this but he’d had a traumatic time as a kitten and so hadn’t been taught by his mother how to dig a hole. It’s foul, though.

Water is the best way to deter cats. I’ve turned the hosepipe on cats myself - there’s a vicious dark tabby which attacks my elderly cats and it simply doesn’t respond to verbal shooing.

16. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Dog owners usually control where there pets dig and defecate.
    Cat owners are quite happy to let their pets dig and defecate (and kill wildlife) on my property.

Aquamarina1234 likes this.
  17. vannie

vannie Star commenter

Cats never really ‘belong’ to anyone. It’s the global cat conspiracy. Read ‘Six Dinner Sid’ ... cats don’t want you to know what ******** they are.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  18. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Which is cat-owner-speak for "not my problem!". ;)

(Not directed at you, @vannie, but my next door neighbour certainly subscribes to that view!)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
  19. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

My cat's an indoor cat. When he wasn't he only went out for very short periods and not very far.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  20. vannie

vannie Star commenter

I don’t have a cat. I have a dog. I pick up it’s poo.