1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why do agencies make life so difficult?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sam29, May 2, 2012.

1. I had a phone call with an agent this morning who insisted that they have to do their own CRB despite me having 3 enhanced CRBs all less than 12 months old - one of them is a "portable" one. Out of principle, I said I wasn't willing to pay for yet another CRB and no longer wished to register with them. Her response:

She offered to deduct the CRB cost from my earnings instead of asking me to pay up front. When I asked if she could guarantee work she said no but they have plenty and £44 is peanuts compared to what I could earn. When that didn't work she asked if I didn't think I was being short sighted about such a small amount of money. When that didn't work she asked why I'd submitted their enquiry form if I wasn't serious about supply work!

I'm guessing she had some kind of quota to fill for new candidates, but I won't be one of them!

2. I had a phone call with an agent this morning who insisted that they have to do their own CRB despite me having 3 enhanced CRBs all less than 12 months old - one of them is a "portable" one. Out of principle, I said I wasn't willing to pay for yet another CRB and no longer wished to register with them. Her response:

She offered to deduct the CRB cost from my earnings instead of asking me to pay up front. When I asked if she could guarantee work she said no but they have plenty and £44 is peanuts compared to what I could earn. When that didn't work she asked if I didn't think I was being short sighted about such a small amount of money. When that didn't work she asked why I'd submitted their enquiry form if I wasn't serious about supply work!

I'm guessing she had some kind of quota to fill for new candidates, but I won't be one of them!

3. I don't blame you! £44 isn't peanuts when there's not much work around. What a smug g*t!!

I refused to sign up to an agency because they wouldn't accept my less-than-a-month old because "the agency the CRB is with is in the same local authority." I had to pay for a new one (I refused). Then they said that they could help with paying for it if I agreed to do 'other' work (the agency also operates as a supply agency for all the LA work, including cleaning) but they wouldn't help to pay for it if I was just registering as a supply teacher.

The CRB they refused to use has since been 'ported' to 2 other agencies.

4. If they think 44 pounds is 'peanuts' why don't they pay it themselves? After all it probably only works out as one day's commission that they would earn from you on top of what they pay you!

5. tuftyaurelius

tuftyaurelius New commenter

Ask them for a "portability form"! Why should you keep paying out? Totally unacceptable and corrupt to fill the coffers of the CRB![​IMG]
    DON'T PAY! ENOUGH OF THIS NONSENSE!

6. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

Since we're on my favourite topic of agents I thought I would add my own gripe. I had an agency call and say they needed to do another CRB as I hadn't worked for them for so long and been unemoyed. They wanted ne to pay for another CRB when it's there fault I'm unemployed and had to sign on! I've refused to join any more agencies and the reason why they are all charging is because they aren't making as much money, but still need a healthy client list which gives the impression they are highly successful when pitching to schools. It's amazing there ate still so many around. I'm getting out of teaching as I'm sick of having no money. All supply teachers should think about moving on as there just isn't enough jobs.

7. forgive me as i may have mis-understood here; can you please clarify why it is an agency's fault that you are unemployed.

8. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

I assume he feels that they took him on and promised him work but it did not materialise.
    He's done his bit - is qualified, available and waiting by the phone.
    They've not found him work.
    And now they want him to pay another £44 to do it all again..

9. Since a CRB is a legal requirement ask the agencies if such a fee is being regarded as a registration fee to join them and see what their response is.

10. 44 quid is a lot of dosh when you get £63 a week JSA to live on like I do!
    Good you told them to jump in the lake!

11. that still doesnt mean the agency are accountable for the teacher being unemployed. surely they were unemployed when they went to the agency in the first place.

12. Please stop being so picky!

I've had this happen to me. Agency said they needed a new CRB because I hadn't worked for them for 3 months. I was available. if they'd phoned I would have worked and wouldn't have needed a new CRB. As it happens I managed to 'port' one - but they still kept hold of it for a month when another agency needed to see it.

13. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

A teacher with an agency would not be unemployed since the agency is their employer, instead a teacher without work would be under-employed. Now that is being picky.
    Back to being serious, an agency might require a new CRB if you have not taught for 3 months and therefore been out of the Education system. They want to be sure you haven't been up to no good in that interval. On the other hand if you have been teaching but for another agency your CRB is still valid and there is no need to re-new it. You might be asked for a recent reference if you been doing a long term stint but unlikey to request a reference from their rivals if the time was spent on daily cover.
    They are unlikely to be interested in a reference from any thing other then a teaching post and if you have been "banged up" for three months it would be very unwise to use your cell-mate "Slasher Sid" or even one of the "screws" as a reference.[​IMG]