1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why do academies have Principals, and LA schools have Headteachers?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by fairport, Oct 6, 2013.

1. fairport

fairport New commenter

Why do academies have Principals, and LA schools have Headteachers?

It's a question that ha bugged me. As soon as a school converts, the job title (even if it's the same person) changes. But why?

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Let's hope that both the HTs and the Principals have principles!

And if you want to start investigating the titles for The Boss, try the independent sector for variety..... High Mistress; Warden; Master; all sorts......

3. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suspect that it is because some individuals wish to dissociate themselves from the grubby business of actually teaching, and becoming an academy (where the National Standards for Head Teachers do not apply) gives them the opportunity to do this by giving themselves the title of 'Principal'.

My view is that all Heads of School, whatever they decide to call themselves, should be required by law to teach something each week - even if it is a single lesson.

It annoys the hell out of me to see certain HT and Principal colleagues demanding standards of planning, preparation and marking from classroom teachers while, at the same time, having lost all sight of what this actually entails.

I also believe that a HT who teaching a proportion of the timetable will generate considerably more respect from staff than a HT who considers the job beneath them.

4. I believe that the STPCD states that HTs should teach though Gove has said on so many occasions that HTs can do what they like and that includes given any title they like to any member of staff. In addition to that of course Gove can completely change the TTCPD

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I guess they don't all change titles.... my HT stayed as HT after academy conversion, and a friend was a principal at an LA school before conversion