1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why didn't they...? Improbably movie plots

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Middlemarch, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

In the spirit of my Corrie scripts thread - and because the Sound of Music is on telly yet again - I thought I'd start a new thread in which I invite people to share their 'Why didn't they just...?' or 'They wouldn't have done that!' or 'That would never happen!' points about films.

I have long said, about the Sound of Music, that the part at the end of the music festival - where the Von Trapps sing 'So long, farewell' as some sort of cover for their escape - is pointless. This is because they couldn't leave until the last family member came off stage, so they gained less time than if they'd legged it as soon as their previous song was over and left Max to stall for time with the judging, etc.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  2. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Die Hard is on tonight.

I expect it to be improbable from start to finish but nobody watches it for the plot.

midnight_angel likes this.
  3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I pipe up with this several times every half hour! Soaps, dramas, films. The lot.

I like the DH franchise. I think I watch it mostly for car chases and Bruce doing deadpan.

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. Middlemarch

Duh! Just noticed I put "Improbably" rather than "improbable" in the thread title. Why can't I edit it?

5. Middlemarch

Oh, me too, GDW! Which will come as no surprise to most people. Friends who watch TV (or discuss TV) with me have taken to giving me a particular, long look when I go off on one of these rants, to which my stock response is "It's a disease, isn't it?"

6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Enders (followed by the wife) has me boiling with rage. Takes implausibility to stratospheric heights. Not good for my blood pressure.

My mantra? "Just for the sake of building dramatic tension. Just for the sake of......It's only fiction. It's only fiction."

7. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

It's often been said that the endless Lord Of The Rings trilogy could have been reduced to a half hour short if Frodo had been given a lift to Mount Doom by the one of the eagles. Simples!

8. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I stopped watching soaps years ago when I found myself shouting at the screen, 'Shut up and just listen for once!!'
    Of course, it is in the nature of soaps that misunderstandings occur simply because folks don't listen to each other but I just found it SO irritating!! :mad:

I s
    agree about TSOM. As if the doors wouldn't be guarded!! :rolleyes:

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

So that your sins are visible to all.

Middlemarch likes this.
  10. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

My mother observed once that she didn't like Midsomer Murders because the people on it all "had so many hang ups with each other." I did point out that one had always murdered several of the others so a few issues with each other were essential to the plot!

badger_girl likes this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Empire puts a simple metal grill over the exhaust port for 'heath and safety'... Luke's missile harmlessly deflected, Rebel planet destroyed, Leia killed and Rebellion crushed.

Edit: Yes, it was Star Wars... what you gonna do bout it?

12. Middlemarch

"Leia killed"? You absolute barsted! I haven't seen it yet!

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

There was no grill. Hence...

14. Middlemarch

Oh...

15. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

But it was released in 1977!

I'm meaning New Hope, not Force Awakens.

16. ninenotes

ninenotes Senior commenter

Its Bruce's sense of humour that makes the difference to those films.

He doesn't pretend they're Shakespeare.

17. Middlemarch

Ah, but you see, I just saw the words and assumed it was a spoiler! I see now that I was mistaken on two levels.

18. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Die Hard 5 is ... terrible... it isn't a Die Hard film... number 4 is moderately OK as long as you retain healthy skepticism.

Die Hards 1-3 are the only really decent ones.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

No worries... Now the real spoiler is .... kidding!

20. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Pretty much any movie involving time travel disregards the fact that the Earth moves through space as it orbits the sun and the solar system's position changes as the universe expands. Simply going back in time will mean the Earth is no longer in the same place as when you set off from the present. You thus end up stranded in the icy vacuum of space for a second or two before the internal pressure inside your body makes you go pop.

Only one sci-fi story I know of makes reference to this, and it's not a movie.

sparkleghirl likes this.