1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why didn't I think of that!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by adelady, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Slicing onions?
    If I'm going to peel and cut several onions, I pop them in the freezer for a little while before. It cuts down the tears.

2. The trick when peeling and slicing onions is to breathe through your mouth, not your nose.
    No tears.

3. Or buy Spanish onions not English ones.

4. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I had a moment of inspiration yesterday just before I roasted a chicken. I don't know about you, but I've always found the wings to be a pain for 2 reasons. Firstly, being smaller in section than the rest of the chicken they overcook. Invariably, the dog ends up eating them. Secondly, I don't find it easy to remove them from a cooked bird when it's hot and they get in the way of slicing he breast efficiently.
    So I cut them off before it went into the oven, which was much simpler, and when they were cooked, 1/2 hour before the rest, out they came. The dog still ate them, but in future I think I'll freeze them, and when I have enough, I'll use them for my smoked chicken wings in chilli sauce recipe.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Great idea, but for me the wings are a cooks' perk...(along with the chicken's oysters)! I quite like the fact that they're overcooked and love attempting to eat them, whilst far too hot, juggling them around in my mouth and breathing in and out frantically, as I dish everything up...[​IMG]

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

I'll tell you something somebody ought to find a great idea for is how to get nice crisp chips home from the chippy without them going soggy. We had fish and chips last Friday. It's only a 3 minute walk away from our house. I nicked a few as the girl was wrapping them and they were absolutely brilliant. By the time I got home though, they had lost their crispness as usual.

7. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

I always find the following helps:
    1. Decline vinegar in the shop, as it has a tendency to gently steam the chips on the way home. Add your own once you get home. Furthermore, the vinegar in chip shops doesn't even seem to be vinegar these days (worryingly called "Chip Shop Non-Brewed Condiment"), and certainly isn't Sarson's.
    I also have a theory that having the salt applied in the shop might help keen them crispy, as it might draw some moisture out, in the same way that springling sea salt over freshly cooked roast potatoes keeps them crispy, but I haven't tested this yet!

2. Decline the offered plastic bag to carry them in, which encourages the chips to gently 'sweat' inside on the way home. Ask for a paper bag, which allows some of the steam to 'breath' through, or if they don't have such a thing, decline a bag altogether, but be sure to carry the wrapped chips by the corner of the bag, so that your hands don't absorb the heat of the chips.

8. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Jeez, folks. There is an easier way round this problem. Eat the chips on the way home! [​IMG]

9. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Great idea...I can see it now:

Mrs909: Hmmm...where are the chips? Your fish is here, as is my battered sausage...but I can't see the chips anywhere
    Me: Well, you see, it's like this...I hate soggy chips, and Si off the TES cookery forum says...etc....etc...etc...
    [​IMG]

10. Si N. Tiffick

Living out in the sticks, a takeaway always meant a long drive (10 miles to the nearest when I was a child though there is now a chippy 3 miles away). Accompanying my dad to get the Chinese takaway had its perks- we always ate the prawn crackers on the way home!

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Great minds, CQ..[​IMG]

12. Do you know, btw, that in Europe, they still think fish n chips are served in newspaper?
    I have had to destroy many an illusion in ESL lessons by telling them we are no longer allowed to do so.
    My, how I miss that though... childhood memories of black and greasy fingers...

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Wow...although might be my lack of years but I only remember them serving them in white paper which was wrapped in newspaper...do miss the black greasy fingers though!

True Facts about chips:
    1. They taste better eaten outside, either walking along a warm sea-front esplanade, sat on a wall or at a bus shelter in fine drizzle and cold wind, slightly drunk.
    2. They taste best of all when eaten by the sea with the ozone tang of the briny depths in your nose.
    3. A shared bag tastes infinitely superior to eating your own bag.
    4. A few stolen chips from someone else's bag always taste best of all.
    5. Even though strong tea is clearly the best drink to have with chips, when eaten outdoors they should be washed down with a tepid can of coke, making your burps chip-flavoured for the next ten minutes.

14. Agree with all of that!
    Best place in the world to eat fish n chips is Whitby. Buy at the bottom, then race up to the top between the whalebone, then sit on the grassy bit (as you can rarely get a bench) and fight off the seagulls.
    Sit crossed legged on the grass and eat from each others' portions. Throw a chip or two to the seagulls and wait for them to fix you with a hard stern expecting a bit of fish.
    Flap around with your hands and throw scraps at them. Expect them to descend again within seconds.
    Make a trail of fish batter with tiny scraps of fish, like in the fairytale with the witch in the gingerbread house, and you have peace.
    Best is if you have just been on the beach for a couple of hours - your lips are salty and the vinegar stings.
    Pure bliss.

15. Si N. Tiffick

We've just returned from a week on the Yorkshire coast. C remarked to me on our first day there that the town we were staying in smelt of vinegar. He wasn't wrong- that and chip fat. And not in a good way. We didn't have fish and chips while we were there- the smell put me right off.

16. When I go to Scotland, it reeks of booze.

17. Si N. Tiffick

LOL! Sauchiehall St in Glasgow most probably does!

18. Well our local chippy still wraps in newspaper!

It simply puts it round the first layer of white paper. It is a time warp - including serving bread and butter and a hot water urn on the side for making mugs of tea. It is the cheapest and the best tasting fish & chips around.

19. lol
    I was up that way in May, Filey, Scarborough, Whitby - had fish and chips in all of them.
    To make sure your chips are crisp
    put the oven on low before you go out
    find a chipshop that cooks in beef dripping if you can.
    Put the fish and chips in the oven for 5 mins when you get home.