1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why didn't I think of that!

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by adelady, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Meatballs. I thought I'd solved the even size problem by using an icecream scoop, but there's always the problem of the very last one. Is it too big, too small, too inconvenient.
    My sister tells me she watched our uncle making meatballs the other night. Used a big, wide based bowl to mix up. Then he mysteriously started pushing the mix down with the flat of his hand.
    He flattened it out and cut it into 8 equal sections like a pie. Picked up each 'slice', rolled it into a ball and proceeded as normal. So he got exactly the number he wanted, perfectly even for cooking.
    So now I'm feverishly planning to do tiny meatballs, which have always failed before when using teaspoons. I'll plop the mix onto some baking paper and flatten it just like a scone mix. And cut it into perfectly matched squares - and then roll them up.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I do this! Same for kibbeh, etc. I've always put it down to my OCD (can't bare unevenness!).

3. RJR_38

RJR_38 New commenter

I'd never have thought of doing it like that either! Very clever.... *makes mental note of this technique for next time*

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm, I thought everyone did a similar thing!! When I'm making kofta for a large BBQ I make the meat and spice mixture up, divide in half, then continue halving the mixture, like cutting into 8 but end up with about 100 kofta!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Just like Mum. [​IMG]

6. That is what I do [​IMG]

7. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Well having been adopted as 'English Mum' by about 20 Arabic lads, suppose that does make me an Arabic mum! [​IMG]

8. henriette

henriette New commenter

Me too - it is what my Mum (very not Arab!) used to do as well and taught me to do from about the age of 4 or 5.

9. If this is so common - and I thought it would be - how come you never see recipes or chefs or TV cooks recommending this technique?
    And, horror of horrors, how many other perfectly obvious tricks are we not using generally.

10. Probably lots! This is why this forum is such a great place, as none of us are fussy TV cooks - we are more practically minded [​IMG] (have you seen how they whip the cuttings onto the floor, for example? None of us would do that in our kitchen!)
    See those TV cooks - they take a carrot and snip snap chop it up like Speedy Gonzalez.
    We normal people chop more slowly, but place 2 or 3 carrots next to one another and cut through all the carrots at once.

11. Btw - when making cookies (depending on the consistency) I do not roll out and cut with a cutter if they are to be round.
    I roll it into a sausage shape and cut off the circles with a knife...

12. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Ha ha! That's what I do too! Small tip I picked up from an old M&S cookery book!

13. me too, and the meatball stuff.

I'm allways suprised by 'illogical' cooking. My mum bought a filter coffee maker years ago and used to drag it over to the tap to fill. Se was stunned when I took the jug, filled it with the amout of water I wanted as coffe (does that make sense - i wanted half a pot of coffee so i half filled the pot with water) poured the water into the filter machine, put the pot back and switched on.
    I slice onions in half before peeling them - easier to peel.

14. I too cut my onions in half to peel. It is almost painful to watch OH struggling to peel a whole onion, especially as his nails are too short to be useful.
    I don't really make meatballs but I do divide my mince mix into even sections when making burgers. I also put these in one of those BBQ fish holders for cooking as it makes turning easier and they don't fall apart before they are cooked if I've got the consistency wrong.
    When I was a student I used to fill my mug in order to pour just the right amount of water into the kettle (I was quite tight on water and electricity use).
    Washing up bowls are good for making bread and they are cheaper and sturdier than most large mixing bowls. I do have a separate bowl for this though and don't just grab the one out the sink.
    To make life easier get someone else to wash up [​IMG]

15. henriette

henriette New commenter

Drying pots and pans on the hob.
    O/h had never seen anyone do it till me met me: am I odd in this one?

16. Odd? Not unless I'm odd too...[​IMG]

17. Na! That's just obvious!
    I dry other metal stuff in a low oven (like my pestles and mortars)- I hate rusting!

18. Just found this forum - I've been bogged down with weightier issues - what a refreshing change!

Yes I dry metal stuff on the hob - I've got a range
    Don't care too much about the size of my meatballs - but ... I am fanatical about my cupcakes being even and flat so they can be iced. I use an ice cream scoop for this, only half fill the cases and slam the tray on the counter to make sure that they are flat before they go in the oven - result beautifully risen, but flat cakes ready for icing.

keep em coming!

19. My sister did that with muffins - and always wondered why they came out flat! I thing she had her magazine cuttings confused.

She isn't a natural cook!

20. ROFL - that is what we all do in Germany.
    I find the idea of dragging the whole thing over to the tap quite sweet
    [​IMG]
    Ditto.