1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY DID YOU WANT TO BECOME A NURSERY TEACHER questions and shared experiences

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Janelaneplane, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hello-

I am thinking about dong a PGDE in early years with a view to becoming a nursery teacher. I have some experience at a primary school lined up for next year but nothing with reception as yet so I am trying to find out as much information as i can on here to see what people thinking about being a nursery teacher- if you have the time to answer any of these questions it would be most helpful!

What drew you to this age group?

what do you think are the biggest challenges of working in a nursery today?

Are there any patricualr challenges SCOTTISH teachers face you can mention?

What are the best things about your job?

What are the worst things?

Are there other job routes you would think about pursuing if you decided to leave this profession-

if they are related to childcare what might they be?

Do you feel that you get to bond with the children in nursery or do you feel your role is more adminastrative and the teaching assistants get to enjoy their time with the children more?

Can you work part time as a nursery teacher and follow other interests in your life- such as making art?

Do you have any opinions on Montessori/ steiner education

If there are any good blogs/posts you think might be relevant to me that you have the time to pass on at all that would be amazing!

Thank you so much!

:)

ps sorry for spelling mistakes i cannot work out how to edit and go back on this forum thing

Are there

2. rosiecg

rosiecg Occasional commenter

Hi - have put my answers under your questions....

What drew you to this age group?

I worked as a teaching assistant in a primary school for 3 years, and was lucky enough to move around all the classes. I enjoyed my time in foundation the most, especially the days when the local preschool joined us for some sessions. I like the fun, playful side of the EYFS and how it enables children to make connections and learn independently.

what do you think are the biggest challenges of working in a nursery today?

Paperwork and recruitment of quality staff.

Are there any patricualr challenges SCOTTISH teachers face you can mention?

Not in Scotland so can't help!

What are the best things about your job?

I teach an early years class in a special school. I get to have fun all day, I get away with wearing comfy, practical clothes rather than smart clothes, I see all the tiny steps of progress my children make each day, and I learn something new each day.

What are the worst things?

I have a bad back from crawling around all day, and from lifting children. Because I have so much fun and enjoy my time with the children it means I have to do all my paperwork once they have left, which can take a while. Some of the staff I work with don't have the same attitude as me about the importance of play and this bothers me.

Are there other job routes you would think about pursuing if you decided to leave this profession-

if they are related to childcare what might they be?

I have worked as a teaching assistant, a care worker, a residential summer camp leader, and as manager of a private nursery. I have enjoyed them all but teaching early years in a special school is the best thing that has happened to me career wise.

Do you feel that you get to bond with the children in nursery or do you feel your role is more adminastrative and the teaching assistants get to enjoy their time with the children more?

Like I said above, I make time to play! However when I was managing a private nursery I spent 90% of my time in the office, which wasn't great.

Can you work part time as a nursery teacher and follow other interests in your life- such as making art?

I have only ever worked full time.

Do you have any opinions on Montessori/ steiner education

I think they're both very interesting approaches and I use aspects of them in my classroom but I wouldn't follow one the whole time.

If there are any good blogs/posts you think might be relevant to me that you have the time to pass on at all that would be amazing!

The Imagination Tree has some great ideas for play based activities.