1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"Why did you decide to resign from your previous job?"

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by alla_ova, Mar 19, 2016.

1. alla_ova

alla_ova Occasional commenter

What would be the best answer?

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

The truth. Without being negative about the school.

Best wishes

3. alla_ova

TheoGriff, the truth is "the school is amazing, I love my students and colleagues, but one of my colleagues made my life so miserable, that I decided to resign”.

I don’t think I can say it though. :-(

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Does this ever get asked in this way? Isn't it usually "Why did you apply for this post?" - the answers to which can and should be phrased positively in terms of what you believe you can bring to the school.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quite right.

Tell us about yourself - dream or nightmare question?

Best wishes

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. alla_ova

Well, usually yes, you are right. But during my recent interview (when I was asked about my children and political views) I got this question too. (Why did you decide to leave your school? - I want to teach a wider range of classes). Btw, it was the HT who asked this question.

7. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

My local authority's standard application form (still almost universally used, even though most secondaries are now academies) asks for a 'reason for leaving' for every job in the applicant's employment history.

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Are you currently unemployed, then? This could explain why this was asked.

Best wishes

9. Middlemarch

Indeed and almost everyone answers that with something like "to progress my career".

10. alla_ova

Not really, I am self employed and studying (although I would prefer to be employed, of course :rolleyes:).

11. alla_ova

Yes. :D
    What would be your suggestions, how I should answer this question if ever asked again?

12. Middlemarch

As I said that most people have always answered it - did you infer from my comment that I thought it should be any different? I didn't.

alla_ova likes this.
  13. alla_ova

Thank you, Middlemarch! :)