1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why did you become a teacher?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by thekizzaa, Mar 2, 2016.

1. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

A lot of things I've read on this forum since joining have been quite negative - stories of management bullying, being overworked and bad behaviour.

However, there must be something positive about this job that enticed us mugs into this career in the first place, but I'm struggling to remember now.

So why did you become a teacher? And what positives do you have about the job? (apart from a long summer holiday!)

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3 things

1. What else can I do? :( Would have liked to have been a barrister but that's too much like hard work.
    2. My husband of the time was a teacher so it was fairly obvious to fall in with that.
    3. The holidays.

I absolutely hated it. Eventually grew to tolerate it. Finally enjoyed it. Only took 30+ years.

foxtail3 likes this.
  3. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

If I'd known what was going to be inflicted on education, I wouldn't have done it.

guinnesspuss, rosievoice and cissy3 like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why not count the long summer holidays? Always a key factor for me!

Plus - love for my subject, a belief that this was a 'safe' occupation, a desire to work with intelligent people (both staff & - some - pupils), plus a good pension.

Not sure I'd make the same decision today! And if the long summer holiday goes, forget it!

5. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

I was told in an careers interview as a young man that the person could think of no better choice for me.
    After 2 years in a bible college i was 'told' through the scriptures I was to go back and teach the people of Israel(ie here)
    So with no qualifications whatsoever I undertook 2 years night school and gained my 3 'A' and 7 'O' levels and ended up in a teacher training college.Much to my suprise I must admit
    Loved teaching.still do at near 70, but not the modern system.
    I miss badly the buzz of the classroom and the work with young children and the joys and tears of such places.

6. Futureleader

Futureleader Occasional commenter

Free paper. Couple of free red biros.

sabrinakat, T0nyGT and lindenlea like this.
  7. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

My quick answer was always, "Because nobody would pay me to lie around on the settee all day".
    I've got out of teaching and am now a Cover Supervisor, still get the contact with kids which I enjoy but the downside (like the pay) is a lot less.

8. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Also the pay and the pension. But that was then. I don't know if those are good reasons any longer.

9. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

As a child I loved school and could think of nothing better to aspire to than teaching - it was always my only career choice.

Now, I'd do everything I could to prevent either of my much-loved nieces (aged 10 and 15) from entering teaching.

guinnesspuss likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Putting ideals before practicalities when taking 'A'-Levels, I had planned to go into either research biochemistry or forensic science. Had offers at Imperial College for both. Then I found out what scientists (particularly those employed by government departments) earned.

Quick rethink, and after discussion with a couple of really inspirational teachers, decided to follow that path.

Pleased I did, since it allowed opportunities to work overseas as well as in U.K.

Wouldn't go into teaching now, though, despite the fact that I have enjoyed the job so much.

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Being a single parent with a small baby, I wanted long holidays and short days. So I did a PGCE and then taught EY for 30 years. As it turned out, I enjoyed it very much and it paid the mortgage.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  12. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Lack of imagination on my part. Someone said "You should be a teacher" and that was that. No real interest in the job until after I took an 8 year break to have my own children and then returned with real interest and enthusiasm and discovered one or two people were impressed with me so I capitalised on that, took two degrees and got promoted. Then, when everything began to drift away from me I still enjoyed the fun of the job. I ended up with a good salary and pension.
    My granddaughter (6 1/2 ) loves school so they must be doing something right at her place anyway.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

It was what I wanted to do when I was five. I went off the idea for about thirty years and then after doing a lot of work with young people and training, I decided to do my PGDE. I like the challenge, variety and the interaction of the classroom.

badger_girl likes this.
  14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

1. Wanted to carry on using languages
    2. Secure job, good pension
    3. Great holidays if I had children

Adored the job for many years.

badger_girl likes this.
  15. anon8315

anon8315 Established commenter

My dad really.

He was a deputy headteacher and so inspiring (it's not just me who says so: the testimonies at his funeral said the same.)

He taught me to love literature - it seemed only fair to pass it on!

On placement I discovered an unexpected upside: how hilarious teenagers can be!

Noja, sabrinakat and Lascarina like this.
  16. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Thinking back to the early days, I used to get excited about going back to start a new year. Couldn't wait.

Noja likes this.
  17. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It was a HUGE part of my life for so long - the relationships and learning to handle difficult people, the studying, the thinking and talking about how children learn, the funny funny things that happen in schools.

18. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

* It's a good laugh
    * the holidays

Mostly the first one though. Teenagers are hilarious

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Because I did not do the right A levels to do Speech Therapy

20. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Almost exactly the same as Lascarina except that I did a four year BEd Hons. I went to what was then a Teacher Training College when I left school but didn't like it and dropped out after a term. When I had my baby some years later and needed to sort my life out I went to Goldsmith's which was the nearest place to where I lived and loved every minute. I also enjoyed the job for 30 years until just before the end.