1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why did you become a Headteacher?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by panandtilt, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

It's all about the children and improving their lives. Plus the staff, plus the community, plus the buildings, etc, etc.

No day is ever the same and you can't go into work saying 'I'll do this today' and so on (at least not in a small school) as children are unpredictable as are staff, parents etc. You try to be proactive and think you are succeeding but then something happens and you must react.

That's what makes it special!

If you want an office job then being a headteacher is not one - in my small school experience!
    Sorry sounds a bit waffly but it's from the heart.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I had an amazing head who once said to me that whenever he was having a naff day, he would just leave his office and go for a wander around the school and find some children to talk to. He used to worry that teachers thought he was getting in the way of lessons, but he needed to do it to maintain perspective.