1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why can't children write their names on work.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by eal2, Jan 30, 2011.

1. I had some work on display (for a climate walk) and now I want to stick it into their books (for a book scrutiny) but...
    Half of it hasn't got names on and I can't recognise the writing. I have a lot of work on display but this was stuff I would have got the children to put into theri books when they did it but, as we have to have a room which an interieior designer would be proud, of I shoved a load more up.

I do so love the way education takes words and changes them - climate = loads of pictures on the wall, sharp pencils , tidy desk etc these were all things we were given an ofsted style judgement for.
    Satisfactory = unsatisfactory

2. I had some work on display (for a climate walk) and now I want to stick it into their books (for a book scrutiny) but...
    Half of it hasn't got names on and I can't recognise the writing. I have a lot of work on display but this was stuff I would have got the children to put into theri books when they did it but, as we have to have a room which an interieior designer would be proud, of I shoved a load more up.

I do so love the way education takes words and changes them - climate = loads of pictures on the wall, sharp pencils , tidy desk etc these were all things we were given an ofsted style judgement for.
    Satisfactory = unsatisfactory

3. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

*** is a climate walk??????

4. When my class fail to write their names on their work I tear up the pages in front of the whole class. We then go through books, see who has what missing and keep them in at playtime to do it again.
    A few days of that and they never fail to write their name on something from that point on.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Seriously, what a load of utterly ridiculous bollocks.
    A piece of advice:
    https://www.tes.co.uk/jobsHub.aspx?navcode=6

6. SMT go round and comment on ( critisise) the way the class looks, is arranged etc. how exciting the dispalys are etc.

7. I will try that pff.

8. I have sheet collecting monitors who collect up all the sheets before the kids leave for break/go home. They won't collect a sheet without a name and the kids can only leave once they have had their sheets collected. Year 3 class.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I told my class once (maybe twice) at the start of the year that they had to write their name on all pieces of work done on sheets.

If they forget then they stay in at break/lunch and write their name out 50 times. I had some forget early in the year, but it doesn't happen anymore.

10. Blimey, some severe punishments dished out here!

11. I have to agree with Devonsent on this on. These punishment do seem very severe, and I would hope that no teachers in my school used such a method, or indeed that my children's work was ripped up in front of them - how disrespectful!.
    What happened to holding up the work and askng who it belongs to, or putting the sheets out on a table at the start of the day for children to find their own.

12. inky

inky Lead commenter

I wouldn't make a child write its name out fifty times but I wouldn't endorse the sloppiness by wasting time at the start of the day either. My children soon become familiar with my old enemy Mr Anon and what becomes of his work.

Nowadays I ask ther children to check [at the start of a lesson] that the person next to them has written their name. It appeals to their tale-telling instinct.

13. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I ask one child from each table to collect the work from their table and to check for names before collecting. Then one child is responsible at lunchtime for checking through the pile and sorting out the no names thing. They generally know each other's writing and love going out onto the playground to bring in children who have forgotten to name their work. Bossiness is sooo prevalent. By the time I see the pile there is little chance that there are no names. And children generally know it is theirs when I give them back out anyway.

The only 'punishment' is that they can't possibly get a merit, however good their work, if I don't know who's it is. Occasionally a child is fed up with themselves because of this, but hey ho!

14. Finding their own work doesn't have to be during lesson time. It can be done in break time if needed. You would expect the teacher to know the writing style of their children by now.
    You could ask a persistent 'offender' to hand out the piles of unlabelled work so they get a feel of how frustrating the task can be. Worked for me (older children mind you).
    Ripping up the work is far too extreme in my opinion. What does it say about the value of the work to the child?

15. I agree, I'd never rip up work. I do however refuse to mark it. I usually write "No name = not marked" at the top! If it's something we've marked together and I've collected in to check over, I would then write "No name = no house point". It tends to be the brighter members of my class who are in too much of a rush to get done who forget to name their work, so the no house point tactic works well with them, as they are used to getting HPs!

16. You tear up the work they have just spent time on in front of the whole class??!

17. I was thinking the same thing. A bit harsh. I can recognise most handwriting now anyway and if a few sheets has slipped through all I have to do is ask the children who don't have that sheet in their books to identify.
    I use very few worksheets these days anyway, even with Year 3.

18. I've never gone that far - I do ask once, ask twice then the kids see me deposit it on the top of the stuff in the bin (where it can be retrieved if needs be).
    It's when they write their name at the top of work in their books - and fail to see the flaw in the fact their book has their name on the front cover anyway... yet STILL won't put their name on work!!! That particular bit of kid logic gets me every time.

19. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

Or try not to lots of loose leaf work. I know it is annoying when children don't write their names, but some of these punishments are severe, I'd hate to see what would happen if a child actually broke a serious rule.

How hard is it to remind the children to write their names on their papers? Tell them before you do any work on this write your name. At the end remind them, make sure your name is on your work.

20. When you have a whole group of children who stare at you blankly when you ask who the pile of no name work belongs to there isn't much place for it other than in the bin.
    The children know that their name goes on the sheet before they start anything. The DHT once walked in, saw a child working halfway through their sheet with no name at the top and removed it from them to put it in the bin.