1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why can we not have the same end date?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by subman68, Dec 15, 2015.

1. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

My Teacher wife and I both stop on Friday
    I have 1 son stopping on Thursday this week (hope he enjoys the empty house for 1 day) Starts the same day as me in Jan
    I have 1 son that stops on Tuesday next week and starts back 3 days after I am back at school. No after school club or child care available as it is a school holiday time(yeah but that is when I need it)

Between the 4 of us we all have different holidays in Feb. Why can education not get it act together and give us the same holidays?

2. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Because different schools in different communities have different needs. In our authority they're set by cluster, so each secondary shares term dates with its feeder primaries. Rural schools may arrange to have inset on the dates of major stock sales, to minimise absences. Island schools may coordinate holidays so that they're grouped into larger blocks to allow for travelling time for people going away. I've no interest in seeing holidays dictated by what's convenient for leafy Edinburgh suburbs where education ministers and civil servants live.

sub3 and Flere-Imsaho like this.
  3. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

If I live in one region and the next door one has different holidays, I do have an interest. Quite a big one. The only bonus in differences is if you're in a position to jet off somewhere cheap, for example, if you get two weeks in October. Otherwise it's a gigantic pain in the tonsils. Our region was set to give us a 10 day holiday over the festive period this year, 11 days off last year, until a number of us wrote in suggesting that given the increase in sickness rates last year perhaps a rethink might be in order. Or maybe they came to that conclusion on their own. You never know.

4. subman68

subman68 Occasional commenter

Am I reading this correctly. We should do the holidays so that we can take the pigs and cows to market? Have we just travelled in time to ye golden days? I understand that we changed holidays so that kids could help with the harvest, (I love a Ayrshire spud.) but the big machine is doing that job now.

I live in the central belt. in what would have been Strathclyde. I am 30 min drive to Glasgow City, East Ren, Renfrewshire, West Dunbartonshire, Inverclyde, North Ayrshire. add 10 min more and I can get to another 3 LA's. Lets face it most of the people in these areas never see a sheep, cow or any sort of crop unless it is in a text book. So why when so many people are being inconvenienced can we not get the holidays right.

Let the Highland folk do there thing, it is good for them, but get a grip and sort the rest of us out.

5. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

South Lan and East Ren had big long summers - over seven weeks - so it is paid back in shorter Christmas Eve. However I urge anyone who is in these LAs to argue for religious observance as the feast of Christmas does not end until the 7th, not 6th of January, the feast of the epiphany.
    Scots Law (whatever your own humanist/spiritual persuasion may be) cites Christmas as a fundamental religious holiday. Most LAs observe this with Easter but not Christmas. That part of Scots Law still stands for schools.
    Boxing day this year is a Saturday so it becomes even more interesting. The following Monday is now Boxing day, pushing the end date back to the 7th of January. Therefore no teachers or pupils under Scots law should be returning to work until after the seventh of January this year but could be made to work up until Christmas Eve either way.

sub3 likes this.
  6. inthered

inthered Occasional commenter

Subman, I'd trade a long weekend in September plus a week in October for a fortnight in October anytime. Having done both, the two weeks make a huge difference, even if you're not lifting tatties. What's wrong with getting the holidays roughly at the same times? We have the same number of days to do, after all. And the most useless long weekend is the Central belt second May weekend; I've lost count of the number of times I've had to be in school overseeing our SQA exam on one of the days. We used to get a day off in lieu, however...

7. BillyBobJoe

I've no problem with councils choosing to coordinate their holidays in places of high population density where people might conceivably work in one area and have children in another, so long as those of us with different needs are still allowed to set ours locally. What I'm opposed to is any attempt to coordinate nationally which would inevitably result in getting whatever Edinburgh wants and sod anyone else.

SIB13 likes this.
  8. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

In the days when parents were trusted about Holliday's it would not have mattered that there were small differences between Holliday dates. But Mr Gives thought he knew better.

9. BillyBobJoe

Eh? Last I checked parents take their children out of school around here pretty freely for holidays, in some cases for months. This isn't England.

Yoda- likes this.
  10. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I some times wish I was Scottish...

SIB13 likes this.
  11. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

It is a shorter Christmas holiday due to Easter falling out with the Spring Break (I hate that term).

I like our October break and I wouldn't change it to 2 weeks, as I'd prefer to have more time off in the summer. I never understand why people want to be off when the weather is dreadful and we have long dark nights.

As of around 0448 on the 22nd Winter has officially started....

12. Potatoes005

Potatoes005 Occasional commenter

Spriiiiiiing Breeeaaaakkk...

Can't remember now where I heard that but it always makes me laugh.

We'll be having "recess" and "Principals" instead of Headie's shortly just you wait and see, America is swooping over.

13. SIB13

SIB13 New commenter

Only sometimes ....

Yoda- likes this.
  14. SIB13

SIB13 New commenter

A two week October break is good for the (northern?) Scots who like to venture abroad but can't thole the heat of summer in many places. Hoping to hit southern USA to visit relative this October but couldn't contemplate it in the summer hols.
    I can understand, for those of you with the luxury of living/working for different authorities, that having different holidays for each can be a pain.

ScotSEN likes this.
  15. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Was brought up with a two week 'tattie holiday' and when I started teaching had one too. When I moved North and returned to teaching hated the one week Ocotber break and was thrilled when we moved to two weeks. One week is really not long enough to relax and enjoy a holiday.

16. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

And yes as a pupil I did go tattie picking! I'm that old!