1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why can students still gain their vocational qualifcation without passing English and Maths?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by EducatingYou, May 8, 2016.

1. EducatingYou

EducatingYou New commenter

To get a full apprenticeship qualification it is compulsory to pass all units including Functional English and Functional Maths unless you have already passed or you have a GCSE grade C or above . I know the students don’t want to do English and Maths but it’s a compulsory condition of receiving their vocational qualification, so they attend classes, study and revise for the exams. However, this is not the case if you on a full-time vocational course at college.

If you are under 19 you have to do Functional Skills or GCSEs in English and Mathematics but you don’t have to pass to get your vocational qualification. You can still move to the next level of your vocational subject even if you fail English and Maths. Can anyone tell me why the government hasn't linked English and Maths to full-time vocational courses as they have apprenticeship courses? If a student knows they have to pass all units including English and Mathematics to receive their vocational qualification wouldn't they start attending classes, study and revise for exams?

2. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

I'd thought they did have to carry on until they passed these?
    But I suppose the argument could be that they are maybe in a job once they've got their voc?
    Let's face it, until recently you could get a job at 15 once the GCSEs were finished and never gain any quals in your life. I know lots who did, and if they were happy in their job for ever, I guess they're a lot better off than most in this life.

3. EducatingYou

4. EducatingYou

5. burajda

burajda Star commenter

yep. you could have a couple of CSEs leave at 15, get a job, live in a council house, raise a family, have enough for a few beers, days out and a decent family holiday.
    Ancient History, there are no jobs for the unqualified. Apart from the small minority who may have the nouse or the luck to run a successful business.