1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why can I still not get an interview?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by lauraee66132, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Hi all,

I qualified to teach secondary science in June last year and have had major problems getting so much as an interview, which really frustrates me as I'm a great teacher and people I know who are not have managed to make themselves sound good enough on paper to manage to get something!

A certain amount, I am allowing to be sheer volume of applications (the last job I got an interview for had 72 applicants) but some of it has to be my letter of application. When I was doing my PGCE my tutor, the uni careers service, a friend of mine (who is a teacher) and the professional mentor at my final placement school all looked at my letter and gave me different advice, now I don't know which way to look!

At the moment, I'm following the format (suggested by the CM):

1. Why I want THIS job
    2. 3 things about teaching that I am particularly interested in/that I find particularly important
    3. A brief summary including some of my personal interests and how they can serve the whole school

All of my letters are written from scratch - no copy/pasting from previous letters, addressed to the head teacher personally and professionally laid out.

Where am I going wrong??

(apologies if my paragraphs don't turn out - they don't always)

2. Hi all,

I qualified to teach secondary science in June last year and have had major problems getting so much as an interview, which really frustrates me as I'm a great teacher and people I know who are not have managed to make themselves sound good enough on paper to manage to get something!

A certain amount, I am allowing to be sheer volume of applications (the last job I got an interview for had 72 applicants) but some of it has to be my letter of application. When I was doing my PGCE my tutor, the uni careers service, a friend of mine (who is a teacher) and the professional mentor at my final placement school all looked at my letter and gave me different advice, now I don't know which way to look!

At the moment, I'm following the format (suggested by the CM):

1. Why I want THIS job
    2. 3 things about teaching that I am particularly interested in/that I find particularly important
    3. A brief summary including some of my personal interests and how they can serve the whole school

All of my letters are written from scratch - no copy/pasting from previous letters, addressed to the head teacher personally and professionally laid out.

Where am I going wrong??

(apologies if my paragraphs don't turn out - they don't always)

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Google Chrome eats the paragraphs, I understand.
    What seems to be missing from your letter is any reference at all to whatt he school is actually looking for.
    Are you including an Executive Summary with your applications? If you are asking yourself What's an executive summary?, then the next bit of advice is to open the Welcome thread and read the shortlisting clickables, where all will be revealed!
    You are not the only NQT still trying to start an induction year, it is very hard for you. This post gives some overall advice to NQTs, step-by-step for getting a post to start your induction year.
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/t/454715.aspx?PageIndex=1#6315983
    It is not easy for you, I know. But do try the advice here in the welcome thread.
    Best wishes

I shall be contributing to the Seminars on Saturday 8th January. TheoGriff Job Seminar
    Look forward to seeing you!