1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why-british-teachers-fleeing-overseas-international-schools?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by numberwhizz, Nov 13, 2019.

1. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Working in Private non profit schools abroad. Couldnt tell you what its like working in a private school in the UK, but there must be similarities.

2. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Im not sure who told you this. MFL teachers are two a penny, and the vast majority of international schools will, and prefer to emply native speakers. There are plenty of teachers from all over the world that also want to work abroad.

Really? People keep saying there's a shortage...

3. dumbbells66

in near 14 years of international teaching (3 continents), I have only ever met 1 non-native MFL teacher in an international school. Admittedly I have worked in good IB schools (far more of these abroad than any other system). I'm sure there are plenty of low-end British schools that would consider you.

At decent international schools, if they want a Spanish or French teacher they will recruit in Spain or France. It goes the other way, they don't tend to employ French or Spanish teachers to teach English

4. Idiomas11

Idiomas11 Occasional commenter

Ah I see what you mean now. The election result has me thinking of leaving UK and weighing up my options...EFL teaching it is then!

5. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

The problem is, that when teachers leave the UK, they take their politics and unprofessional behaviour with them, creating a problem there. If I went to teach overseas, it would be in a school where I would not have colleagues from the UK, or even start my own elsewhere and hire locals only, not from the UK.

6. yasf

yasf Established commenter

MFL is on its way out in many international schools. More and more schools prioritise EAL, Mother tongue and the host country language. That covers the IB's language requirement for 90% of students.

As an ex-Spanish teacher who now teaches EAL internationally, I would recommend that route. Do become properly qualified (not just TEFL), and you'll find that you're in quite reasonable demand.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  7. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Fortunately most international schools don't agree with you.

8. dumbbells66

I have worked on 3 continents and as a Brit i have been the minority in all my schools. Look for IB schools, there are a hell of a lot more of them than British schools.

9. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm sorry to hear this. I thought I was doing quite a worthwhile job that was quite valued. I have certainly come across several schools who have struggled to fill MFL posts.

That apart, nobody actually told me in so many words that if I wanted to move abroad to teach MFL I wouldn't have much difficulty. It is an impression I have gained over the past few years during conversations with schools abroad. But maybe they were just being nice to me and the invitations to visit and/or interview were simply because they didn't really have much else to do and wanted to meet an Englishman...

Wow. Well I'm glad for you and your sister, but if you take the time to look at ***, you'll see a very different picture in very many cases.

10. dumbbells66

*** is joke, and you spend any length of time working abroad then you soon find out its full of moaners that either have been fired for incompetence or rejected because they arent good enough. I do not rate *** as a valid source for anything other than a good laugh.

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

OK, well as I don't know enough about it I can't really argue against that view.

12. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

dumbbells66 said:
    *** is joke, and you spend any length of time working abroad then you soon find out its full of moaners that either have been fired for incompetence or rejected because they arent good enough. I do not rate *** as a valid source for anything other than a good laugh.
    That's OK. Many people who do know enough would argue against that view. *** certainly has it's share of moaners but it is laughable to think that the only people who post reviews deserved to be fired and/or couldn't find a decent job.

And yes, I've posted reviews, good, bad and mediocre (and am currently teaching in my dream location for my dream organization, thank you very much ;)).

13. dumbbells66

Really, because i know of out and out lies written about many schools and individual people. Yes, im sure there are a few "real" and "truthful" reviews.... i've been reading it for 13 years and i could count them on one hand.

Always good for a laugh though.

14. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

I thought this was just a story affecting other parts of the country but since December I've heard of three young teachers in my area who are upping-sticks and heading overseas. They're all enthusiastic and lively teachers who are simply not prepared to put up with the unreasonable expectations and daily unpleasantness any more. While I wish them well, it's a sad loss for those schools and the children they teach.

What's disappointed me most, though, is the way the schools have apparently been dismissing these staff as 'too weak to stay the course' or 'unwilling to put in the effort needed' - putting them blame on the young teachers, rather than asking "What could we have done differently to retain them?"