1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why ******* bother?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by sulis, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Have just had a reply to an email I sent to a supply agency that I used to do alot of work for and who even found me a fixed contract in a school two years ago. I am only available to work two days a week initially unless I find long term cover, due to the fact that I can't afford the £11,000 per year childcare just to be on call everyday for work that is almost non-existent.
    This is what they said;

I am currently not registering people for 2 days work per week. As the supply market has changed drastically over the last few years and the amount of work has drastically reduced I am currently only registering people who are available full time. If your availability changes please contact me again.
    I would be available to work if they'd find me a long term placement!
    I've got 39p in my purse, a big overdraft, and I'm selling my personal possessions - do these people live in the real world? Looks like the government is going to reduce the free nursery entitlement for 3-4 year olds as well, so I'll be regally f***ed until my son is 5 in 3 years time!
    I'm so depressed, I just cry in front of my children and my husband doesn't know the half of it, all I can think of is that the life assurance would pay off my debts and they would all be ok financially - I know I shouldn't think like this but I can't help it [​IMG]

2. Pennyforyourthoughts

Pennyforyourthoughts Occasional commenter

Take a trip to the Citizens Advice Bureaux .... they will give you all the advice you need to deal with your circumstances at the present time. It may well be that it is more beneficial for you to claim tax credits than to consider paying for childcare to work. Work through it with them and you will get a clearer picture of what is necessary and what is not and certainly do not cash in any insurances you may have at this stage. Good luck.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

sulis big hug [​IMG]
    SO understand the feelings of othere people not in teaching not understanding, or even colleagues on permanent contracts for that matter.
    Try not to let those negative thoughts take a hold. Your husband and child(ren?) NEED you, however personally worthless you feel at the moment. Feelings are not always to be trusted, they can warp our perception of reality when we're 'feeling low'.
    As to the '39 p in your purse etc.'; when my children were little I used to think VERY carefully <u>where</u> to take them out even for a walk to avoid any potential passing shop where they might want an ice-cream etc. Luckily I had a couple of friends in the same position and we got very good at planning excursions which involved no cost and no awkard having to say "No, sorry. . . we can't afford one today."
    I'm not a great favour of asking for tablets, but I think you may be at the stage where you need to see your doctor- they have many alternatives to popping pills for depression these days.

4. i am very sorry to hear of your plight; I know how you feel from personal experience. Both my husband and I have been unemployed for nearly a year. Although we have paid of our mortgage, using all of our savings to do so, we only have about &pound;90 per week in benefits. We went to the CAB but all they gave us was a quick 'two mnute' chat and a photocopied leaflet on home to make 'household economies'. You cannot blame them realy, they are snowed under. The only thing we managed to sell was the car; all the other stuff we have, like electrical goods, DVD players TV etc, are all a few years old, so not worth anything. We have had the house on the market since September but nobody has been round to look at it yet. We have not had the central heating on this winter as we could not afford the gas bill. We buy as much food as we can possibly get with the money we have and try and eek it out. Quite frankly, we are desperate.

5. I would also recommend going to your GP. They will probably have a counsellor available as it will help to have someone not immediately involved, like your husband, to talk to. You may need to take some anti -depressants like citalopram. I'm a trained counsellor and they've helped me a lot due to the dire work situation and consequent anxiety and depression as a result. Enjoy your family and the company of friends.

6. ...keep your chin up. I really feel for you.
    ...how is it that decent, qualified teachers like you have to endure this FAKKING nonsense.
    ....I would love to show Gove and Co exactly what its like to be in an insidous position whereby youve done all the hard to become a professional and now, through not fault of your own, teachers are scrapping the barrel just to make ends meet
    ....total WAN...KERS the lot of them. They take the PIIIISSSSS when we are working and take even bigger liberties when we cant

7. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Dear Sulis
    I trust that by the time you have read the replies to your post, you will have started to feel a bit better.
    I agree with the advice about claiming any benefits you are entitled to. Also, bear in mind that your situation will improve: your children will eventually be at school full time and you won't have the huge child care costs that you have now. I think that in a few years' time there will be a shortage of teachers and then you will be well placed. You will be able to rebuild your finances.
    Try to take one day at a time and one job at a time. Work out what you can change and work on that and do not worry about the things you cannot change. Teachers Support Network offer advice on money managment. They may be able to give you advice on how to manage your debt.
    It is hard... I know since supply has disappeared for me too as it has for a lot of people.
    However, be assured that there are people who care and you are not alone and you will be able to work out a solution.

8. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Can't you tell the agency you are available 5 days a week? Then, if they call and offer you work on a day you can't do, make up an excuse - working elsewhere (it's feasible you have another agency), child ill, childcare let you down....hopefully they can get you work for the 2 days a week you are able to work. You don't have to accept every bit of work they offer you - I was registered with an agency who more than once offered me nursery/children's centre work which I'm not trained for so turned down. They still found me teaching work.
    Also, do put your CV around local schools. I got work through 2 schools I applied for FT positions at, and when I called to get feedback about why I didn't get an interview I was offered supply :) Got far more through that than I did through stupid agencies, and they paid more.
    Good luck.

9. Thank you so much for all of your advice, I do feel a little better knowing that I'm not alone in this deplorable situation - it can feel like it sometimes when you're isolated.
    I'm going to see my doctor next week for a chat, and hopefully some help.
    I am updating my CV, and will try local schools, other agencies etc.
    I just hope that things start to improve when they realise that employing unqualified staff is condemning a generation of children to ignorance and failure.
    Hope that you all have an improvement in your own situations.
    Big hugs to you all, thanks for listening

Sulis xx

10. historygrump

historygrump Senior commenter Forum guide

Sulis

I know how it feels to be skint, I am tired of being in the position of managing my money to make sure that I can at least cover my bills, have you applied for JSA? you can still claim it and work, because all you do is fill in the B7 form declaring you income and if the doctor puts you on the sick with depression, get the form in to the social.

11. So sorry to read this Sulis. I do hope things improve for you. Are you primary?

12. I too have been very skint at times and have trawled through this forum for good advice on JSA, working etc. Jubilee give amazing advice and I've followed it to the letter when claiming. I also have to say that the job centre people have been unfailingly kind and helpful. They now know how hard it is for us and whilst quite shocked about the treatment we get at the hands of agencies are sensitive and encouraging. Well that's my experience anyway.
    Things will pick up and you'll feel better I promise. I'm signing off JSA on Mon as have a placement. Things can get better!
    Claim everything you can and keep very detailed records.
    I really hope you feel better soon. x

13. hi Kertesz,
    I'm secondary History/R.E. It's hard for both primary and secondary isn't it?[​IMG]