1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why Australia is the best country in which to live and teach!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Christopher Curtis, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Sorry but I have to disagree again, I personally would hate to live near my school as I need some distance from the kids. And so many of the top schools in Melbourne are in the city or inner suburbs.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the outer suburbs, personally I find them hideous places with terrible public transport connections.

2. That was a reply to Christopher curtis from a few pages back, sorry I forgot to quote!

I like the list of best places to live, I've lived in 2 of the top 10 :-D

3. bland? [​IMG]

4. 'Australia is the last refuge of a scoundrel'
    is that the right quote?

5. You could lock him in a room with an Australian [​IMG]

6. just joking (the RSPCA would be horrified)

7. You are locked in a room with a lion, a tiger and an Australian. You have two bullets in your gun. What do you do?
    Shoot the Aussie twice.

8. Bushman goes into an outback pub with a crocodile on a lead.
    Do you serve Poms he asks?
    'Yeah, no worries mate', says the barman.
    'Righto, I'll have a beer meself and 2 Poms for me croc'.

....you started it FP!!!

9. ....... but I guess that makes me the racist!!

10. or maybe even a pommie basher............err..........is there a difference?? [​IMG]

11. Nah - it's a good joke [​IMG]

12. No, just interested in how professional colleagues deal with the never ending avalanche of change that is foisted upon us (and our unsuspecting students) in the name of Government implementation of the latest 'new fad'!
    It seems that Govts the world over are all tarred with the same brush.
    Guess we still believe that we can make a difference to even one student or we wouldn't be in the profession.
    In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers and the rest of us would have to settle for something else.

Lee Iacocca

13. ...and we all hope it's a positive difference

14. Aussie bloke walking down the road with a sheep under each arm. His mate, across the road (called Bruce...as well), shouts "G'day mate. Are you shearing?" And Bruce shouts back " No, mate; I'm going to **** both of them"
    Now, there is one about Sheila slipping out of the shower and it is top drawer...and a little rude. Think I will save such treats for PM.
    I make a difference to bloody loads of students - not sure about the positive bit, though!

15. Mate!! You've got your geography and jokes a bit confused! We don't do that sort of thing to sheep in aus!..... try further across the Tasman!!

16. Science achievement in the different OECD countries:
    There was a study carried out in 2006 by the OECD to look at student achievement in math and science in the secondary sector of different OECD countries. I have done a paste job below for just one of the findings in science. It is interesting to glance through, and note some surprising (unexpected?) results.
    The first column shows the rank of countries with their percentage of students at level 6 (the highest achieving) on the science proficiency scale. The second column ranks the same countries and their percentage of students at level 1 (the lowest achieving) on this scale.
    New Zealand 4.0 Mexico 18.2
    Finland 3.9 Turkey 12.9
    United Kingdom 2.9 United States 7.6
    Australia 2.8 Italy 7.3
    Japan 2.6 Greece 7.2
    Canada 2.4 France 6.6
    Germany 1.8 Luxembourg 6.5
    Czech Republic 1.8 Norway 5.9
    Netherlands 1.7 Iceland 5.8
    United States 1.5 Portugal 5.8
    Switzerland 1.4 Slovak Republic 5.2
    Austria 1.2 Belgium 4.8
    Ireland 1.1 United Kingdom 4.8
    Korea 1.1 Spain 4.7
    Sweden 1.1 Switzerland 4.5
    Belgium 1.0 Denmark 4.3
    France 0.8 Austria 4.3
    Iceland 0.7 Germany 4.1
    Denmark 0.7 New Zealand 4.0
    Poland 0.7 Sweden 3.8
    Hungary 0.6 Ireland 3.5
    Norway 0.6 Czech Republic 3.5
    Slovak Republic 0.6 Poland 3.2
    Luxembourg 0.5 Japan 3.2
    Italy 0.4 Australia 3.0
    Spain 0.3 Hungary 2.7
    Greece 0.2 Korea 2.5
    Portugal 0.1 Netherlands 2.3
    Turkey 0.0 Canada 2.2
    Mexico 0.0 Finland 0.5

OECD average 1.3 OECD average 5.2
    The study was called the "OEDC programme for international student assessment in science (PISA) (2006)", and is immensely detailed. For further information go to their website:http://www.oecd.org/document/2/0,3343,en_32252351_32236191_39718850_1_1_1_1,00.html

17. Christopher  Curtis

Christopher Curtis Occasional commenter

biology babe,

We will just have to disagree then. I could not stand to live in the inner suburbs with all the crowds and concrete. I like space and greenery and quiet streets. I have got this week?s auction results for houses in outer areas of Melbourne. Here are some cheap ones, all brick veneer: Chirnside Park, 8 rooms, 861 square metres of land, $381,500; Craigieburn, 5 rm, 854 sm, $357,500; Cranbourne, 6rm, 615sm, $297,000; Hoppers Crossing, 6 rm, 790 sm, $285,000; Lilydale, 5 rm, 820 sm, $345,000; Mill Park, 5 rm, 675 sm, $333,000; Watsonia, 6 rm, 567 sm, $407,000.

18. Continuing on from post 120, the top 20 OECD countries in Mathematics and Reading in 2006 are as follows:
    Mathematics Reading
    1. Taiwan South Korea
    2. Finland Finland
    3. Hong Kong Hong Kong
    4. South Korea Canada
    5. Netherlands New Zealand
    6. Switzerland Ireland
    7. Canada Australia
    8. Macau Liechtenstein
    9. Liechtenstein Poland
    10. Japan Sweden
    11. New Zealand Netherlands
    12. Belgium Belgium
    13. Australia Estonia
    14. Estonia Switzerland
    15. Denmark Japan
    16. Czech Republic Taiwan
    17. Iceland United Kingdom
    18. Austria Germany
    19. Slovenia Denmark
    20. Germany Slovenia
    Interesting to note: the USA did not make the grade in both areas.

19. What the PISA data tells us:

The PISA surveys were carried out in 2000, 2003 and 2006. According to the evaluation of the results by the OECD:

• countries which spent more on education did not necessarily do better than those which spent less. Australia, Belgium, Canada, the Czech Republic, Finland, Japan, Korea and the Netherlands spent less but did relatively well, whereas the United States spent much more but was below the OECD average.
    • Compared with 2000, Poland, Belgium, the Czech Republic and Germany all improved their results. In fact, apparently due to the changes to the school system introduced in the educational reform of 1999, Polish students had above average reading skills in PISA 2003; in PISA 2000 they were near the bottom of the list.
    • Another point made in the evaluation was that students with higher-earning parents are better-educated and tend to achieve higher results. This was true in all the countries tested, although more obvious in certain countries, such as Germany.

Interesting huh! Tells us a bit about how and why standards may differ around the globe!!

20. I don't think you are alone Chris... Evidently the trend for many "more mature" aussies is to move to the more open spaces! Had their fill of city living and opt instead for the "sea change" or "greenchange" to some of the more idyllic rural settings. Many "baby boomers" either have or are starting to retire, selling up in the big cities, and buying properties along the coast, and inland. It's a win-win situation too- cheaper living, and a healthier livestyle!! This scenario also applies to those wishing to still pursue their teaching career in the non-suburban areas of the country, in the more provincial centres. We really are blessed with options and opportunities!!