1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why Australia is the best country in which to live and teach!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Christopher Curtis, Nov 1, 2009.

1. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

The oracle speaks and we must all nod and agree.

2. The original title of this thread;
    "Why Australia is the best country in which to live and teach!"

3. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

No-one would be silly enough to imply that there are not racist elements in EVERY country. To say that most Australians want the 'white Austalia' policy back however, is just ridiculous and insulting to most intelligent and compassionate Australians. We do endeavour to try to make people welcome, comfortable and secure here with public housing and social welfare provided. Many small rural communitites are also putting systems in place to welcome refugees to their communities.
    People who make comments like that usually have an agenda and indulge in knee jerking. We do have our problems indeed and the indigenous issues are the biggies that no-one seems to be able to solve to the majorities heartache. What do you think about Aboriginal deaths in custody Robbie?
    As for Pommie bashing, I find that on these boards it tends to be in reaction to some derogatory comment made about Antipodeans. I won't bash anyone (in fact I love the UK and my dear friends there) but I will speculate that perhaps a lot of Brits on these boards are quick to dish out but cannot take the rebounds.

4. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Exactly. The word 'why' in the title invites people to express their views. That wasn't a view, it was a statement. Back it up.

5. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

My quote thingy won't work so don't know if my posts are making sense.

6. Well actually I know absolutely nothing about deaths in custody but it was in the post that Ned was quoting from and I wanted to discover not only how he would reply to it (I assumed that had slipped under his radar too) but also what that was all about.

I'm unsure as to whom the 'back it up' comment was aimed at there by you. If it was in response to my quoting the title then the title isn't inviting questioning at all, it even has an exclamation mark which implies that it should be accepted without question. If it was aimed at Ned then I understand his point of you I'm glad there are people in this world who are content with their lot.

Yes racism exists everywhere.

Ned was indulging in Pommie bashing there quite a lot, his cpmaprisons were always of the UK and his derogatory comment about whingeing poms supports what I said but he did give quite a good reply to my post, reasonable and well thought out.

7. my quote thingy is playing silly ******* as well
    just have to keep trying

8. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

No my 'back it up' comment was directed at stopwatch. I just feel that his comment was inflammatory and if he indeed has something interesting to say then he should tell us what it is. Why does he think it is not a good place to live and work for example.
    I'm glad that you said you know nothing about Aboriginal deaths in custody Robbie as neither do I. It is one of those awful aspects of the custodial system that seems to get covered up and the public never seem to get any answers. However, deaths in custody happen everywhere, it is not something that is unique to this place.
    What we need is transparency and accountability and it seems to be a closed door. There are many lobby groups trying to put measures in place to present it and I'm sure that the majority of our police force are the 'good guys' but the police service everywhere does unfortunately tend to attract its share of bullies and megalomaniacs and it is these people we need to weed out.

9. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

Sorry, that should read 'prevent' not 'present'.

10. Oh, shut up you bland bunch of cretins/tarts/***/ wazzoks!!!!
    Racism is a disease for the narrow minded, thicko boogars. The most racist sorts I have ever met are from the flushed middle east area. They are a dreadfully difficult bunch to like. And they hate/disrespect others with a casual manner that drops your jaw.
    I, however, am horribly, advancedly, prejudiced. Against those above (with that ailment) and anyone, regardless of colour, creed or culture, who is a pr8ck, tw4,t, nutcase (I have some as friends...it's tough) and no use to anyone, and really should have had barren mothers.
    Sleep well all. England to beat the Ozzy sheep friendlly sorts tomorrow.
    Sh7t, that makes me a racist.....

11. Yasi, Stoppers is a good man. He doesn't need me to defend him at all but maybe he was getting fed up of pro 'AUUUSTRRRALLLIA' going over the top.
    I don't know if there is such a thing as indigenous English people - am I right thinking that we don't actually exist?
    The Abbos have been treated like dirt by you 'the visitors', yes (a country run by ex-pats...nice)?
    Whereas, we (the English) are doing that to the visitors....
    Isn't it a shame about that Stephen Gately? ......
    ( was in the news. Who was he?)

12. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

FP, you know what it's like. I have a brother-in-law, for example, who is a pain in the proverbial but anyone else has a go then I will fight to the death to stick up for him.
    Ned was just celebrating the fact that he lives and works in a place he loves. THat's OK isn't it? N

13. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

PS: I really don't know who Stephen Gately is.

14. Ned is sticking up for where he is now! it's not like he stood his ground. And he will be off again...
    Just not to Russki, next time. Maybe. What d'y'reckon, Ned?
    Cairo is tops. There are so many crep teachers here that opportunites abound?
    ...hmmmm...

15. Stephen Gately!!
    I hadn't heard of him either, or 'Boyzone' until he passed away.
    I was seriously touched by his band mates' tears.
    It was like reading a PE 'excuse' note.

16. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

So, if you move around a bit you can't sing the praises of either your home country or where you are currently teaching? I have lived in different countries because of the travel lust and would have been happy to settle in a couple of them and almost did, England being one of those places.
    Even if I did end up living there, it wouldn't stop me promoting Australia as a place where most of the population are happy to live. I think it is a very easy place to live, lacks many things that England has (or had by the sounds of it) but makes up for it with the climate (agreeable to most, too hot for me), safety net welfare system,people who, in the most part, are helpful and welcoming and some truly beautiful natural wonders.
    You see I find myself in a familiar dilemma in a discussion such as thing. Generally, when there is no need for defensiveness, I find nationalism vaguely disturbing but I also find it difficult to shut up when I feel I need to defend myself, my country or someone else who is being picked on.

17. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Hello Yasi.
    I couldnt decide which of your response to respond to so picked this one.
    I've never been called and Oracle before, sometimes called an orifice. I don't expect all to nod and agree. I was just expressing my opinion as Ned pointed out.
    I, personally, dont think Australia is the best place to live and work. I can see why some people might say it is. It just wouldnt be for me. (I didnt say it isnt a GOOD place to work by the way).
    No I havent visited there, but I don't necessarily think this is a reason not to feel I can comment.
    There are many places in the world which I would rather live, for many different reasons, and yes England is one of them.
    From what I have seen of it (ie in travel literature, in documentaries, website forums such as this, from talking to people who have been there) it just doesnt figure as somewhere I would like enough to live in or even travel to.
    It strikes me as a 'love it or hate it' kind of place. Take a look at britishexpats.com there are quite a number of threads about Australia there.
    My intention wasnt to inflame or offend.

18. stopwatch

stopwatch Established commenter

Ooops I forgot to include the quote. Here it is.

19. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

According to Brewer (my favourite dictionary for obvious reasons) Oracle: A dogmatical person, one not to be gainsaid, as in
    "I am Sir Oracle,
    And when I ope my lips let no dog bark."
    Shakespeare: Merchant of Venice, i. 1
    Talking of which, Mrs M had the bright idea of finding Boris a friend. Biggles, who's exactly two months old, joined us yesterday and hasn't shut up since unless he's eating, drinking or being cuddled/ played with. I'm trying to type this at five in the morning to an accompaniment of falsetto yapping.
    All oracular pronouncements on puppy-muting gratefully considered. We quite like him so we've already rejected the Korean option.

20. Quality of Life in different countries:

In the context of this thread, it is interesting to consider and compare the "quality of life" in different countries around the world. The "economist" several years ago carried out a major global survey using nine factors to measure this variable:

1. Material wellbeing
    2. Health
    3. Political stability and security
    4. Family life
    5. Community life
    6. Climate and geography
    7. Job security
    8. Political freedom
    9. Gender equality

The ranks for the 111 countries involved in the survey are given as follows:
    Ireland 1 Vietnam 61
    Switzerland 2 Bahrain 62
    Norway 3 Lithuania 63
    Luxembourg 4 Jamaica 64
    Sweden 5 Morocco 65
    Australia 6 Latvia 66
    Iceland 7 Oman 67
    Italy 8 Estonia 68
    Denmark 9 United Arab Emirates 69
    Spain 10 Libya 70
    Singapore 11 Indonesia 71
    Finland 12 Saudi Arabia 72
    United States 13 India 73
    Canada 14 Paraguay 74
    New Zealand 15 Jordan 75
    Netherlands 16 Nicaragua 76
    Japan 17 Bangladesh 77
    Hong Kong 18 Albania 78
    Portugal 19 Dominican Republic 79
    Austria 20 Egypt 80
    Taiwan 21 Algeria 81
    Greece 22 Bolivia 82
    Cyprus 23 Tunisia 83
    Belgium 24 Serbia and Montenegro 84
    France 25 Armenia 85
    Germany 26 Azerbaijan 86
    Slovenia 27 Georgia 87
    Malta 28 Iran 88
    United Kingdom 29 Macedonia 89
    Korea, South 30 Guatemala 90
    Chile 31 Honduras 91
    Mexico 32 South Africa 92
    Barbados 33 Pakistan 93
    Czech Republic 34 Bosnia and Herzegovina 94
    Costa Rica 35 Ghana 95
    Malaysia 36 Kazakhstan 96
    Hungary 37 Syria 97
    Israel 38 Ukraine 98
    Brazil 39 Moldova 99
    Argentina 40 Belarus 100
    Qatar 41 Uganda 101
    Thailand 42 Turkmenistan 102
    Sri Lanka 43 Kyrgyz Republic 103
    Philippines 44 Botswana 104
    Slovakia 45 Russia 105
    Uruguay 46 Uzbekistan 106
    Panama 47 Tajikistan 107
    Poland 48 Nigeria 108
    Croatia 49 Tanzania 109
    Turkey 50 Haiti 110
    Trinidad and Tobago 51 Zimbabwe 111
    Ecuador 52
    Peru 53
    Colombia 54
    Kuwait 55
    El Salvador 56
    Bulgaria 57
    Romania 58
    Venezuela 59
    China 60
    For further information go to their website: http://www.economist.com/media/pdf/QUALITY_OF_LIFE.PDF