1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why Australia is the best country in which to live and teach!

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Christopher Curtis, Nov 1, 2009.

1. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

I should have included an obscure little band called 'Architecture in Helsinki', two classic albums (the first was only available locally when I visited so luckily I got it), the second included a couple of minor hits in the UK even.
    Did also pick up great stuff by:
    Love of Diagrams (excellent math-rock - the mini-album 'Target is You' rather than their US recorded debut)
    Sodastream (only thing I've ever seen by them is a mini album which has possibly the greatest murder/redemption ballad outside of a Johnny Cash song)
    Ninety-Nine (a one woman attempt to out-feedback Sonic Youth and My Bloody Valentine at the same time - with keyboards!)
    shame none of them ever come over here. We had Ben Lee play once but I'm not even sure he's an Aussie or if he was just on the radio every day I was there.
    Midnight Oil still get played to death (either Beds are Burning - ironically a favourite amongst white Zimbabweans when I was there, or Diesel and Dust)

2. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Release the bats...........
    [​IMG]

3. thats Doris the lunch lady to you young man!!!
    Miss home at times!

4. where are you from ned.... its been a while since i've seen a black cockatoo... there getting very few and far between near Sydney....

5. Ned: You wouldn't happen too be a lacky for the Bligh(t) Govt in Queensland and 'Wake-up' Geoff Wilson(Qld. Ed Minister) touting for OS teachers who will be needed to make up the declining numbers in the teaching Profession in this State if an offer which means parity of pay with interstate colleagues is not made???? While many of the comments you make are true, and we don't - so far- have anything like Ofsted (wait for the National Partnership stuff from the Fed Govt to sink in!?!) in place Qld teachers have pay levels among the lowest in Australia AND Qld is the lowest funding State in Aus for Education while Aus is the second lowest funding country in developed nations in the world for Ed according to the last OECD report!!!!
    Our saving grace in Qld is that our union, QTU - Queensland Teachers' Union, is the largest in the State with 96.5% membership and therefore carries some weight in Educational issues. The AEU (Aus Ed Union) also carries some clout nationally and any teachers who are members of their State teachers' union are automatically members of AEU too. Go to our website: www. qtu.asn.au
    Private school teachers DO have their salaries linked to their Public/State counterparts but come under the Federal Govt Industrial Relations Laws and not State IR and therefore are employed on individual negotiated CONTRACT basis unless you are a member of QIEU, the Independent Ed Union. Contracts in the State system are for temporary employment and also have set guarantees and standards around pay scales, conditions etc.
    Having said all that, we do have a fabulous country and great opportunities in teaching. As a professional group we are supportive, but know that there are serious issues due to the years of under-funding and poor resourcing of our Public schools by successive State and Federal Govts. Yes ... we are political too!!! Govts have made Education a political 'hot potato'! [​IMG]

6. I am an Aussie teaching in the UK and whilst I agree with you about the weather, standard of living, lifestyle etc it would be nice if there were any 'full time' teaching positions in Australia. I went back to Oz in 2007 and it took me 6 months to be able to step foot in to a classroom because I had been away for 5 years. Apparently it had to be determined whether I was 'suitable' to be a classroom teacher, even though I had the proof that I had taught in a full time position in a UK school for 5 years. Not too mention that I had to start at the bottom in terms of casual (supply) rate of pay. I found the whole experience of trying (and I did try) to get full time work degrading and disheartening. Not to mention the disgusting way I was treated by other teachers.
    I was lucky enough to be asked to come back to the UK by the school I am teaching in. I did my degree when Howard was prime-minister and he was pushing the whole 'clever country' agenda. I thought I had done the right thing by going to uni in order to become a useful member of Australian society. Unfortunately in my experience I had to move over the other side of the world to feel valued in this profession.
    I really do love Australia but it is unfortunate, in my experience, that my generation have had to move all over the world to get any recognition in our chosen professions.

7. Wow this guy gets around.
    According to another thread, a short while ago he was an SMT lacky in the ex-soviet union - now he's a government lacky in Australia.
    It's a wonder he has any time at all to "throw another prawn on the barbie" (his words not mine),

8. Are you from teaching agency??? If you were listening to the surf roll in, you are either in woop woop or you are not on a teacher salary! Sydney and Melbourne are now classified as being amongst the most expensive cities in the world and you certainly can't afford to buy a house here on a teachers wage. This by the way is approximately £35k on the top classroom pay level at a private school (exchange rate of £1 = $2.10). State schools are on less of course. We don't exactly have an undersupply of teachers here either. The only place you would get work here is the dodgy areas of the city where classes are big and behavioural problems are rife (just like you would in London) or you would be away from civilisation in some outback mining town where most Aussie teachers wouldn't be seen dead in. What a load of cliched cods wallop!!

9. Sorry to disappoint- no I am not! And yes I am on a normal salary, living on the magnificent mid-north coast of NSW. Not exactly "woop woop" as you say! Oh, and I pay less than $200 per week in rent! And yes, there is a predicted teacher shortage!! (NSW Teachers Fed)! And also yes, the top pay rate for a classroom teacher in a government school in NSW will be more than $AUD 82,000 from Jan 2010. ( check the NSW det website-working for us)!. ...not so much codswallop my befuddled friend!

10. Your insights into teaching Down Under are both incisive and informative.I have been teaching French in Kenya for the last 15 years.Anyone out there knows how I could apply for the same job in Australia?
    Steve

11. Rubbish!
    Not every town that is more than an hour from Sydney or Melbourne is "some outback mining town". I personally live about halfway between the two cities and couldn't possibly ask for a better lifestyle. I am working in a well resourced (public) school, where the kids are great. We have a fantastic sporting program and a good quality arts program.
    The best thing about this job is that I am in my first year out of uni- no I am not a targeted grad, I put the application in for the advertised position, went to interview, now I'm earning a comfortable salary with the promise of an increase each year for the next 2 years at least.
    Sorry jogawne, but you are very very wrong about the rest of Australia- it really does exist outside of Sydney and Melbourne!
    Perhaps you should be a little more open minded about your country, you're passing your ignorance onto your students!

12. Thanks Ned,
    As an Aussie now teaching in the UK (my birthplace0 I realise why my Dad took us out of 'Blighty' and out to 'Oz'. The old man did have some sense and after all the trouble I've gone through for the last 12 months I wish I was back home - Oz! I'd get to see my kids and their kids grow up, I'd get to walk across the road to the beach every evening and watch the sunset, I'd get to drink some of that wonderful Margaret River wine, and even watch the cricket occasionally!
    KUTGW Mate!

13. If so wonderful, why so difficult to apply for an occupation as a TESOL? I'm teaching in China and wish to teach in Australia for an Oz correspondent mentioned that some of your schools have Chinese students learning abroad and seek ESL/TESOL teachers for the schools.

I'm part British for I was born in Jamaica, West Indies, an American citizen by naturalization, former US Army sergeant of 7yrs, traveled to almost 20-some odd countries starting at the age of 8... and yet, I'm unable to get a foot in the door.

Any suggestions?

14. Hmmmm...whilst i am glad you are so happy teaching in Oz and have such a great experience there i think you are possibly looking through those rose-tinted specs a little too often. While there are many great things about your country, in my experience it isn't the paradise you are making it out to be, else why do sooooo many aussie teachers find their way to the UK and stay way beyond their initial intended 12-24 months?
    Personally I think the arts and culture are about 20 years behind Europe and the UK, and i have never felt as uncomfortable anywhere else as i did in Manly, central Sydney and then Brisbane, walking hand in hand with my partner. - you wouldn've thought we were martians!
    My partner is Australian, although has not lived there since a child, and we may well come and live in Oz for a couple of years and teach......but like any other country, my own included, we have no illusions that it is perfect.

15. It is really difficult to be other than circumspect in making suggests. I do not know anything about your eligibility, and even if I did it would not be for me to advise in any detail. Yes, there are schools in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne, and probably the other major cities as well, which have a large Chinese/asian student population, and presumably may also have openings for ESL/TESOL teachers. I would only suggest though that you go through the aus embassy or consulate in your country with your enquiries, and then keep an eye out for job vacancies. Good luck.

16. Why does there seem to be so many Australian teachers on TES which primarily advertises jobs for the UK? Yes I know International posts are also advertised but there are never that many for Australia.
    Could it be that an awful lot of Australians yearn to leave the 'lucky country'?

17. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

I think from what I read on here about conditions in Britain for teachers, it is not so much us yearning to leave as yearning to travel and see the world. Australia is a wonderful place to live and if that sounds parochial then so be it but young Aussies do feel the urge to leave the island and see the world. I suppose we are not so much running from but running to if that makes sense and most Aussies I know would always like to come home again to live permanently as it is such an easy and mostly pleasant country to live in.
    I don't know if it is just on these boards, but another difference I see between working in the UK and here is the collegial nature of staffs here. We don't seem to be at each other so much and are willing to share resources and recruitment tips. I sense a competitiveness that I don't expereince here.

18. Is there an equivalent to the TES in Australia?
    And most Aussies turn to the 'Pommie Pedagogue Postings' section for a spell in the UK?

19. yasimum

yasimum New commenter

No FP, there really isn't anything quite like TES in Australia. I used to love reading it (paper form) when I was in England because at home you had to wait on a list to be appointed (changing now) and I used to love looking at all the vacancies advertised.
    I don't know aht Aussies do now to secure a job in England. When I was over there I had found all the LEA addresses of places close to where I had been living and mailed (snail mail) them all. Established a relationship with the guy from Croydon LEA and had an interview with him when I arrived in the UK and then had my pick of block casual positions from a list he gave me.Ended up in a lovely school in Upper Norwood and really enjoyed my time there but that was just before the introduction of the NC.
    My friend went on an exchange just after I got back and came back with horror stories about the paperwork and sheer workload over dose. I thought it was just her as I hadn't found it that way but soon came to realise what a beast the NC was for teachers.

20. Yes couldn't have said it better... We are born travellers- love to experience other countries, cultures etc but very few if any of us would normally consider moving permanently overseas. Travelling and working overseas just makes us appreciate more what is waiting for us back home!!