1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why aren't we locked down? What are we waiting for?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax20, Sep 19, 2020.

1. Corvuscorax20

Corvuscorax20 Lead commenter

The infection rate is only going to go up. And up. And up. Why don't we lock down now, instead of waiting until things are worse? We are going to have to lock down anyway. What is the advantage of waiting? That just means it will be worse before we do lock down, worse during lock down, and take longer to get back to a manageable level of infection before we lift lock down.

And don't say "education". Attendance in my school is down to 80% already, and we are a school which has not yet had to close a bubble.

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

The infection isn't going away. Can we afford to lockdown permanently?

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

The Federal Association for Sadomasochism is calling for tighter restrictions.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I think it's going to happen in Scotland very soon, going by Nicola's last briefing. I've stocked up on the usual suspects just in case people lose their minds again, but I don't think a dearth of toilet roll and tinned tomatoes is going to be as much of an issue as mental health.

5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Patience now, it will happen very soon...just waiting to establish the best demographic to blame. The jury is out between Teachers, or Polo Teams, both of whom have been exempt from The Rule Of 6.
    Can't wait to find out which it will be!

6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I'm surprised you know that joke too-it's supposed to be in limited circulation.

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Is not the death rate (although sad) very low? Indicating the NHS is better at treating the virus and those catching it are perhaps more immune to it/able to fight it?

Plus the fact so many more are being tested.

Just cannot see how we can go on not living our lives with risk (as normal) rather than all go home and live in fear.

Having said that, I have always felt a true one month lockdown where ever adult gets say 1,000 quid to get by (no exceptions, no-one excluded) would be arguably more successful than the 'you cannot..well, you can...you will get money...well, you won't' nonsense we suffered for 7 months.

Then close the entire country and shoot anyone going out :p Nah, what I mean is get tough and get us ALL in it together, all under the same conditions. If we all were treated the same, we just might do it properly.

Give NHS workers/police etc the same 1,000 each because they do need to be on call in said month.

Then the rest of us go home and shut it.

8. Jamvic

Jamvic Star commenter

Until a vaccine is available we will need to keep locking down, shielding for the vulnerable, intermittently for 2-3 week periods. We should do this as and when the R number rises. I think Scotland will go first, she’s more cautious and sensible than BJ.

hamcguin, Alice K, emerald52 and 4 others like this.
  9. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

So your comments on Cummings and Barnard Castle?

And Eton giving all pupils tests whilst your hero avatar tells people off for complaining about the testing system?

10. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

So depressingly obvious, again.

And still people are arguing otherwise.

You can't put this back in the box by essentially carrying on as before.

I despair. We need to follow, a zero Covid approach and that will allow us to return to work and school in a much safer environment.

11. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Well I did say get tough this time and shoot the rule breakers :p

Seriously though that is my point, there are many other names that can be added to your two there who challenged and broke the rules, just as there were and are among the public.

So unless we do things very, very seriously it is an almost total waste of time with another so called lockdown.

Sounds to me Eton is doing a good thing? Although yes, I do agree the system in place is - as usual - so full of exceptions and waiting times for some, not for others.

I have said before it just seems to be in our political DNA to avoid simple and clear systems, we have this almost pathological need to create red tape and exceptions to the exceptions.

With Mogg I am more in shock that he has started to talk again as it seems he was well hidden since his comments about the Greenfell fire.

TCSC47, sodalime and Jamvic like this.
  12. Nellyfuf2

Nellyfuf2 Lead commenter

What then Scintillant? What if another variation of Coronavirus comes along, a deadly flu, ebola........
    Look today at the Beeb. There's the death story. Always is one. Whipping us up into fear.
    But the death rates are not flagged up, nor the profiles of the infected.
    We expected another recurrence because, well, we locked down.
    The human immune system is a complex thing and we will survive. Try not to panic.

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Another lockdown? And people are calling for this?

Seriously?

drvs, artboyusa, BelleDuJour and 5 others like this.
  14. George_Randle

George_Randle Senior commenter

Professor Francois Balloux (director of the UCL genetics institute) responded to Devi Sridhar's tweets on zero covid:

I respect Devi Sridhar despite all our disagreements, but to the best of my knowledge, she has not delineated a realistic path out of the crisis we're in, and I worry at times about her tendency to engage in 'wishful thinking'.

https://twitter.com/BallouxFrancois/status/1305173671422689280

'Zero COVID19' would have implied global elimination of the virus, anywhere in the world. This window of opportunity was gone by early February and possibly earlier, and definitely not over the summer. I do not believe it is helpful to cry over spilt milk, anyway.

ajrowing likes this.
  15. modelmaker

modelmaker Star commenter

If it wasn't for Hanlon's razor, you'd imagine the second wave was planned. They know precisely how the virus spreads and the rate of infection. They know it takes around 14 days from infection for symptoms to appear.

They've watched the second wave develop in Europe. They've had since March when they closed the schools to work out how children can be taught safely, but couldn't organise it, so what happens? A fortnight after schools return, cases start climbing. Any coincidence?

Since the start of the pandemic, they've had the chance to sort out a test and trace programme, but where is it? They need someone competent to run it, so who do they appoint? An individual with a track record of spectacular failure. Any coincidence why we can't get tested for love nor money?

The real issue at hand, is that Johnson is only using people who support Brexit; and even that looks to be becoming an absolute catastrophe. Never attribute to malice, that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

16. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I was under the impression that those areas where infection and / or death rates are high, were more restricted. Though not yet to the point of total lockdown, they aren't far off.
    Despite the fact you had three teachers with symptoms? Sounds a worrying policy.
    And your LA will be very concerned to hear that attendance rate if no one is infected.

17. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

It is, but the death rate has more than doubled in the last 10 days. The writing is on the wall. And remember that the death rate lags some three weeks behind the infection rate, which has gone through the roof and is now doubling weekly.

The NHS will be better at treating the virus this time around, but the hospitalisation rate has already doubled, and we are seeing hospitals in France (specifically in Marseille and Lyon) already stretched to the limit. At least we have the Nightingale hospitals in the UK, which I expect to start re-opening before Christmas.

Stiltskin, Sally006, Jamvic and 4 others like this.
  18. ukpaul

ukpaul Occasional commenter

They can’t stop their herd immunity attempt until it bears fruit can they? Given their use of children to deliberately spread the virus I doubt that any moral considerations come into play until they have reached the outer edge of plausible deniability.

19. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Stark.

Jamvic likes this.
  20. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

Part of me feels we can't hide from this virus forever!

At the moment though the Tories idea of a lockdown is that if there is a till involved, keep it open. Surely there's more transmission in pubs when everyone has had a few too many and hugging one another than a nice quiet socially distanced meet a friend at home?
    Look at the graph. Cases started going up again....from around July 4th. What happened then I wonder?
    Let's have a fortnight of pubs only opening for meals, table service or maybe shut them altogether for a fortnight.