1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why aren't we all going on strike?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by akimbo, Feb 10, 2016.

1. akimbo

akimbo New commenter

I haven't read every thread here but goodness me ..... education is a mess in England.... I love teaching .... (wouldn't pass no grammar test, no I wunt..)

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Not the right time or place. Education has to get into an even bigger mess yet.

3. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Established commenter

Easy, peasy, Japaneeeeesy.

Because, collectively speaking, with a handful of honourable exceptions, English teachers are frit.

Next question for the doctor please.

ricjamclick likes this.
  4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Unlike Junior Doctors the Teachers do not have one Union representing them.

Most people think they know teaching because they've been taught. Doctors still have an air of mysticism around them. And more respect generally.

I don't think most UK teachers 'want' to strike... they might not like the system as it exists but most people are diligent/hardworking/caring/cowed enough to now want to strike.

Most teachers and Unions are unwilling to take the kind of rolling ongoing action necessary to actually achieve results.

No-one can agree what changes we actually want...
    Scrap Ofsted?
    More pay?
    Scrap the Academy program?
    Better 'working conditions'?

5. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Unfortunately alot of teachers are not prepared to strike.

Some are so crushed they will not.

Some are paper tigers.

A small minority would, but are in toxic workplaces...

download-32.jpg

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I think many are getting out or going on sick leave, rather than challenge via strike action. @Yoda- is right- people are frit and worried about capability to take the sort of action the junior doctors have taken.

Compassman and eljefeb90 like this.
  7. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

Unions are useless at communicating with the public at large and getting their point across without it simply sounding like all we want is more money.

It really shouldn't be hard to poke holes in the government' academy plans, the issues with OFSTED or the workload issues without even mentioning pay or pensions, yet every time that's all that seems to be discussed. If we can't get the public on side, all striking achieves is the loss of a day's pay.

ricjamclick, wanet and Compassman like this.
  8. BigFrankEM

So whose fault is it then, that none of the 3 specific easy-peasy type items which you mention have been successfully conveyed to the greatBritish public in an appropriate manner ?

Which of the following 5 groups bears primary responsibility for this catastrophic and long-standing failure:

i) FIFA
    ii) Bertram Mill's Circus
    iii) Brian Epstein
    iv) Dr Who
    v) The teachers of England

And, ..... can you guess whom I blame out of the above 5?

9. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Exactly. First the unions need to join up as one single union with one single voice. Then they need to start a media campaign explaining what is going on in schools. The BMA has, for example, been very good at doing this.

Whilst money is an issue it is, in my opinion not the major issue. It is workload, it is micromanagement, it is bullying, it is Ofsted I could go on.

The leadership of the unions need to keep a campaign up and get the members to pull together by supporting them.

wanet likes this.
  10. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Given that the Junior Doctors (intelligent professionals that they are) have discovered that the government doesn't give a monkey's about patients etc. and will shortly conclude that they should lump it or sod off.

Why should the intelligent professionals that are teachers not conclude even more that they are the only two options available. As a Union Rep myself I can see the same problem with the question "why bother striking?"

11. Compassman

I have said many times that striking is not really the best option.

However, what is the best option is to ALL stand together and refuse anything that is data related, Ofsted related, micromanagement and bullying related, increasing workload related (see the intervention at lunchtime thread). It is that sort of thing that is causing teachers to haemorrhage from the profession.

The union leadership to keep up the pressure publicising the options available to members. Have regular meetings, get reps involved etc etc.

wanet likes this.
  12. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

but we don't do we

I remember regular meetings about academisation, changes to pay scales, pension changes, abandonment of pay scales (and many of these were joint union meetings). Average attendance 6- 7 members or 10-14 if a joint meeting, in a school with 80-90 teaching staff.

This (lack of )attendance was used by the head to ignore anything the union said.

13. badpower

badpower Occasional commenter

perhaps it is time for us as a profession to form one union

ricjamclick and wanet like this.
  14. fmohammed18

fmohammed18 New commenter

I get the feeling from my 7 years experience that the overwhelming majority of teachers think it's in our best interest to have one single, unified union. Can we not ALL write, call, email and petition our unions to put aside small differences and unite for the benefit of all?
    Or am I being unrealistic?

ricjamclick and wanet like this.
  15. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

None of the above

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  16. BigFrankEM

And ...... the Pope is a Methodist

17. BigFrankEM

Whereas the defecatory locus of of the ursine population is resolutely non-sylvan ?

18. Compassman

Oh apathy rules I agree.

You do have to wonder what level of abuse the profession has to go through before they act. Or maybe they just leave like I did.

I said to my wife this morning that she needs to say 'no' and she said she can't. That was as she was starting to plan lessons for after half term on her second day off (she only teaches Monday to Wednesday). The view seems to be 'that's the way it is'. Part time pay for full time hours.

19. indusant

indusant Senior commenter

It would make sense, given the definition of the word. Coming together as one in unity and agreement. Having more than one surely defeats the object. It only helps to divide and rule. What we have at the moment is a schism. It's the opposite of unity.

There are too many fragments, too many disagreements. It only helps to perpetuate the state of confusion and fear that is ingrained in teaching. The pieces need to be joined together again. It has to start through communication.

Compassman likes this.
  20. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

You missed out several key players whose responsibility it is to monitor education, including the Education Select Committee and OfSTED.

Yes, blaming the teachers themselves is very easy, but an ultimate cop out and the ploy that the government uses as well. It isn't the responsibility of teachers to drive educational reform, it is our responsibility to deliver it.

Alf58 and wanet like this.