1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why aren’t teachers treated as professionals anymore?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Some academies are rather like Stasi-land, so I can understand some staff being tight-lipped about their opinions. They might be dubious of your motives for asking such questions, and afraid of flapping ears connected to tattling lips, which would relate what they say back to management.

BubsyChicken and agathamorse like this.
  2. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

This is what the Times Educational are providing aren't they? Teachers and retired teachers come here to share experiences and support each other both about teaching and other subjects. I do agree with Install.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Interesting viewpoint. Please discuss :)

4. scilady

scilady New commenter

There is evidence that the teachers in Northern Ireland get massively better GCSE results than those in England even though NI has higher poverty rates. So maybe mainland teachers are not as good as we think? Example is 2018 GCSE higher grades...NI 82%, UK (including grammar and private results) 69%. So on that measure comps in England are doing rather badly.....average comp below many secondary moderns in NI and Bucks too eg Cressex on 78%

Also have you ever met a right wing teacher? Not exactly a profession known for lack of political bias is it?

5. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

They do different GCSEs in Northern Ireland so hardly a fair comparison. Perhaps schools In England would do better if they did those exams. At the moment there is no way to tell.

drek and agathamorse like this.
  6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

One or two but not many, but that's not surprising.
    As I see it, right wingers are either comparatively prosperous business folk who feel overtaxed and over-regulated, and wish to reduce the impact of state interference, or they're workers outside the state system who again feel that the state is doing little for them.
    From where I sit, right wing governments want a small state (that's what they say) which means minimising taxes (although this is more illusory than real - no Government in my nearly 40 years of working life has changed my tax obligations so as I would notice). As far as teachers are concerned, Conservative Governments want to pay teachers as little as the market will allow and resource schools (and other public bodies) as meanly as they think the electorate will tolerate.
    Now I don't necessarily agree with what the tabloid papers call "tax and spend", but in the years when we've had a Tory Government, I've never felt they want to help me do the best job I can. Labour's not always been better, but they've at least tried to fund education and to support teachers.

7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

And when you went home you were floating on air!!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I remember one particular thing that set back teachers and that was Baker's (spit!) Parent's Charter. Why should we need a charter to tell parents what to expect of us if we were capable of behaving in a professional manner in the first place? There must be something wrong with the profession.

I remember the year it came out and my parent's evening changing almost immediately from a pleasant discussion concerning my students to one of parent aggression demanding this that and the other for their children.

9. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Lead commenter

Some parents came along to criticise us our performance in the classroom, rather than that of their children.