1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

why are we short of medicines?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Corvuscorax, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

I know of at least 4 individuals, all on different medications, who have been told the supply has dried up. Why is this happening? Why is this happening WHILE our so called PM is guaranteeing it won't happen? Is this Brexit? Is this something else?

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The European Medicines Agency set up a task force in 2016 to investigate the problem, which has become worse throughout the EU since 2012.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/docume...authorised-medicines-brendan-cuddy-ema_en.pdf

Main reasons are economic (competition has pushed some prices down to levels that are uneconomic for manufacturers) and problems over quality. Other reasons include:
    • increased global demand
    • cost of raw materials
    • new regulatory requirements driving up costs
    • fluctuations in exchange rates
    • generic companies being unwilling to carry on selling unprofitable products.
    In the UK, another possible explanation is that the NHS has done too good a job of driving down the prices it will pay for drugs. The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee says this makes the UK a less attractive market for manufacturers.

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  3. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I've been having trouble getting some of my meds for about 4 years. Not life threatening thankfully.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I need 3 different medications.

Twice in the last three months I have gone to collect them to find that one of the medications (the same one both times) was unavailable. I had to either trawl pharmacies to find it or ask for a different one from my GP. On both occasions I was able to source it from another local pharmacy, although it took half a dozen phone calls to others before finding this pharmacy.

What annoyed me, though, was that my pharmacy couldn't give me the other two medications it DID have. I understand there are reasons for this, but it meant I had to find a pharmacy which had all three of my medications, and one is not that common.

Still, at least I got them all eventually....

agathamorse likes this.
  5. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I'm in France at the moment and there was an item on the news about the same problem. The person interviewed seem to mention that one of the problem were that production had moved from France to India and China and that France was not one of the country that got drugs first. Not sure that he meant by that.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. blue451

blue451 Senior commenter

I'm still pondering this. Competition tends to push down prices when it results in an over supply. Prices rise when there is a shortage.

So, are manufacturers deliberately causing a shortage in order to increase profit?

it all sounds like another argument against the current economic model, to me.

7. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think the argument is that manufacturers who find that prices have dropped to uneconomic levels are simply pulling unprofitable lines. That creates a shortage but prices cannot rise because they are highly controlled in the pharmaceutical industry while R&D costs can be enormous.

8. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

It's not all bad. My son's migraine medication has just become available again, after having been unavailable since last November. :)
    It is a mixture of three components and one of those was unavailable.

9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

What does he get?

agathamorse and sparklepig2002 like this.
  10. sparklepig2002

Migraleve. The pink ones were unavailable due to the lack of buclizine. Apparently.

agathamorse likes this.
  11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Ah. We’ve used that and couldn’t get any. I’ll try again.

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

It's back? Where? Googling Boots NOW! Don't any of you dare say coming on this forum is a waste of time!
    While shopping this weekend, I noticed the DM (no, I didn't buy it before anyone says anything!) had a headline about HRT running out. Whatever everyone thinks about the paper, it's great they're highlighting that, asw hile some women breeze through menopause, others are so ill that they cannot work, and many younger managers are unsympathetic. I have to admit that I only recently found out that women have the right to a Menopause Risk Assessment-I knew pregnant women had rights, but not menopausal ones, and I like to think I'm not sexist or ageist.

13. sparklepig2002

The chemist in our local Sainsburys, Lloyd's, has it, as does a local independant chemist. Son had to get a new prescription as his had expired. You can buy it over the counter though.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    agathamorse likes this.
  14. sparklepig2002

I wish I'd known about that when I was stuggling with hot flushes and my classroom was often 30degrees plus in the summer.

agathamorse likes this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Lloyds online.
    But if people are working, have kids/older family responsibilities etc, this can be very hard.I once needed something after being sent as an emergency to A&E by the GP. Arrives to find 4 nurses gossiping about their boyfriends at the desk, and wasn't seen for 8 hours. They'd mixed me up with someone else-not really surprised as they seemed interested in anything but helping patients. After panicking and getting a doctor, eventually, I was prescribed antibiotics but they said they had none available, and to 'call tomorrow'. We did, and couldn't get through. When we did, we were told to call back. Eventually got told to drive up and get them within the next hour-I wasn't well enough to drive, so my husband had to take more time off work-some people really couldn't have managed that. Glad you got yours at least.