1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ACOYEAR8, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

My school, mainstream secondary, has sent out generic emails to all staff who flagged themselves up as being in the clinically vulnerable group in a survey sent by the employer, the local council. This email states that only extremely clinically vulnerable people who have received shielding letters now need to shield, insinuating that all others are now available to come into school to work. It then asks what which days we would be available. I emailed a template letter in response stating my case and that I would be happy to continue working from home. I am yet to find out whether I have been left off the rotes currently being compiled. I am appalled by the lack of compassion. I am over 50 and clinically vulnerable.

PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  2. physicsfanboy

physicsfanboy Occasional commenter

It would be great if our elected reps made the best choice. However, the elected reps are ignorant, lying, self serving, incompetent and have an unbending hatred of all public sector workers (especially teachers) and the non rich. I refuse to pay attention to the views of a group who view the death of non rich children and teachers as a price worth paying.

3. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Well that's me up ***** creek, I didn't get a letter, just loads of texts

agathamorse likes this.
  4. ridleyrumpus

Sort of a reverse leper colony

PeterQuint and agathamorse like this.
  5. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

How do you convince a year 10, struggling to cope with tsunamis of testosterone surging through his veins who has been squeezed up against his mates on the bus, bundled together going up the road that he now needs to keep 2 metres apart for his own safety - his faith in the commonsense of teachers, never especially strong at any time, will be consigned to the dustbin of ridicule forever.

agathamorse and Jonntyboy like this.
  6. ridleyrumpus

Poor argument.

"How do you convince a year 10, struggling to cope with tsunamis of testosterone surging through his veins who has been squeezed up against his mates all smoking weed, that he needs to stop for his own good"?

7. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

You have a seemingly consistent ability to make a single reasonable statement and then to destroy your whole credibility by some comment clearly dragged from the farthest reaches of some extremist wonderland.

I find it bizarre, and not a little worrying.

8. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Well quite simply you don't do you ? His smoking of weed is not immediately going to endanger the health of the adult community in his school though, whereas his lack of SD, refusal to SD or unawareness of the need to SD might.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  9. gainly

gainly Star commenter

So it would make sense for them to keep at least 2 metres away from teachers and other adults but there is no point in trying to keep them 2 metres apart from each other at school.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  10. lovetoast

lovetoast New commenter

Such a tragedy. I'm sorry to read this.

11. nixmith

nixmith Established commenter

May I ask if you can provide a link where high b.p. is included in the list of underlying health conditions as I'm on medication for this and my workplace is re-opening soon.

12. Catgirl1964

Can’t provide a link on my ipad but go to www.bhf.org.uk (British Heart Foundation) and search Coronavirus heart and circulatory problems. Hypertension ( high blood pressure) does not appear on many lists of risk conditions and not many people seem to realise it doubles your chance of experiencing severe Coronavirus symptoms. In fact, I only found out after lockdown on this forum...a valuable source of information.

agathamorse likes this.
  13. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

You're right.

We should stick up signs encouraging all Year 10s to lick toilet door handles.

What a daft argument. Year 10s are coming back in tint numbers, spread over the week. They're NOT going to be 'squeezed up' against anyone. If all of Year 10 were coming back at the same time the school bus would be 80% empty.

agathamorse likes this.
  14. Catgirl1964

Ohhhh, I can do a link on my iPad!

15. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

Here's a question to which I can't find an answer.

I am diagnosed with high BP. So I'm on medication.

On medication, my BP is no longer high.

Am I therefore no longer at higher risk?

16. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

This article has a report into a study showing the increased risk. Apparently the death rate double that for those without high blood pressure.

17. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Yes, it appears still at risk. The risk increases if you stop taking the medication.

From the article linked to above:

“It is important that patients with high blood pressure realise that they are at increased risk of dying from Covid-19. They should take good care of themselves during this pandemic and they need more attention if they are infected with the coronavirus,” said Professor Fei Li.

But people with high blood pressure and not on treatment were at even greater risk, the researchers found.

“In addition, there were 140 patients admitted to hospital with Covid-19 who had discontinued their anti-hypertensive treatment due to various reasons. We found that this was associated with a greater risk of dying from the coronavirus.

“Therefore, we suggest that patients should not discontinue or change their usual anti-hypertensive treatment unless instructed by a physician.”
    I can’t imagine that all of the hypertension patients in the study who were taking medication had been unable to lower their blood pressure, but maybe that was the case. I don’t know how likely that would be. Essentially anyone with high blood pressure needs to make their employer aware of the fact that this substantially raises their chances of dying. May also be worth getting your GP to write a note confirming this if the employer rubbishes the suggestion.

I doubt any employer is willing to go against medical advice during the pandemic, the risk of litigation and bad publicity is rather too high.

18. Catgirl1964

Your medication just controls your blood pressure which is a circulatory disease. Coronavirus is known to produce blood clots so therein lies one of the problems. Also, some medications for high blood pressure are ACE inhibitors which are thought to produce a pathway for the virus to latch on to, hence the likelihood of double the risk of severe symptoms. Obviously I am no expert but, as soon as I found out my high BP put me at higher risk, I wanted to know why so did lots of googling to gain a better understanding. It is odd that high BP is rarely mentioned as a risk underlying condition. Still, what do I know? I am just a lowly TA. LOL

19. Catgirl1964

When I received the email (see previous post) stating that only shielded people need not go in to school now due to change in govt guidance, I was disgusted because the risk is still there. I sent a letter template suggested by my union requesting I continue to be allowed to work from home. Also, looking at the revised guidance from DFE, two of their documents suggest that vulnerable group people should be permitted to work from home if possible and schools should be willing to accommodate this. I think many won’t though because they need numbers to cover the smaller groups of students.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

@Catgirl1964 If your employer is being awkward direct them to the NHS website. This page has a link to the BHF one, which clearly states that hypertension puts you at increased risk.

This page lists the conditions which increase vulnerability. It says heart disease such as heart failure, rather than high blood pressure, but it’s due for review on the 8th June, so keep an eye out for any updates.

It is also absolutely clear that anyone in the vulnerable group (and that includes those with common conditions such as asthma) must stay at least 2m away from people they do not live with.

If your employer can work out how you can do that and still manage to work as TA then good luck to them.

What to do if you're at moderate risk
    If you're at moderate risk from coronavirus, you can go out to work (if you cannot work from home) and for things like getting food or exercising. But you should try to stay at home as much as possible.

It's very important you follow the general advice on social distancing, including staying at least 2 metres (3 steps) away from anyone you do not live with.