1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ACOYEAR8, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

You suggest isolating the elderly and truly vulnerable. Would that include the clinically vulnerable as well as the extremely clinically vulnerable? That would encompass approx. 29% of school staff being isolated. The clinically vulnerable are currently expected to be available to work, against union advice.

2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm not suggesting anything specific, but I simply threw out the idea that one possible way to allow for the continuing of some kind of normality to protect some people at risk from the lockdown whilst also protecting some people at risk from the virus might be to isolate those most likely to die from it if they got it. If people want to discuss the pros and cons of this it would be fine by me. It may be a silly idea, or not.

I don't know exactly what is meant by clinically vulnerable or how it might be ascertained accurately.

I don't know about your 29% figure, but am prepared to accept it, and if it meant that almost a third of school staff were unavailable I expect we'd find some way of coping. Given that the death rate appears to be less than 1 in 1000, I'm surprised your 29% figure is so high though. I wonder why teachers are at a much greater level of vulnerability than the rest of the population?

I do know that people over 90 have survived, apparently, assuming their positive tests were accurate.

There are so many variables.

I do know that we have to find some way, somehow, of squaring the circle or else things might start to crumble completely...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  3. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

I am so sorry.

4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I've asked for this matter of SD in schools vs no SD in parks to be brought up in Daily Briefing....

https://www.gov.uk/ask

Pomza, Jonntyboy and Catgirl1964 like this.
  5. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

Clinically vulnerable people are those who have underlying health conditions such as asthma and high blood pressure and includes quite a proportion of the population. This group can suffer severe symptoms if they catch the virus so it is quite a worry.

6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

May I recommend this? It's really worth half an hour of your time if you are interested in this virus, as most of us are.

It's measured, apolitical, reasoned and thought-provoking.

I recall noting a few days ago that though i didn't know what it was, there was something about this virus and its spead that wasn't adding up - a gut feeling that we were missing something. This Prof seems to think the same, but he can suggest real possibilities where I couldn't.

7. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

Teachers are not more vulnerable than the rest of the population. The % of the population who are high-risk is not the same thing as the death rate. It simply means that various factors (diabetes or other health issues, race, gender, age) make someone more or less likely to become seriously unwell but is not a guarantee that they will die of the virus. If all the high-risk people were to catch covid-19, a significant proportion of them would survive. However - since there is no way of knowing in advance if they would be one of the lucky ones - many of them feel disinclined to take the risk.

As you say, it is all about risk management - and, unsurprisingly, as in many scenarios in life, people have different attitudes to risk. It seems a shame that we are not more tolerant of these differing attitudes but I suppose it is because whereas you can choose to do a bungee jump while I watch, in this situation it is impossible not to be affected by other's attitudes.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Not in the schools I work with they’re not.

strawbs likes this.
  9. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

This. This, @Jonntyboy, is why it is so important to maintain social distancing.

We frequently hear how there are many children who suffer from poor mental health and yet you’re advocating a policy which could leave them not only orphaned but with lasting mental trauma.

Think man. Use your brain.

jellycowfish, agathamorse and Marisha like this.
  10. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

@Corvuscorax I’m so sorry to hear this. My sympathies to you and your cousin’s family.

11. install

install Star commenter

There isn’t much we can do imho. If people are foolish enough not to heed the advice that is their fault.

People are between a rock and a hard place anyway if they try and tell others off in public. It’s not worth it - and it often turns against the person trying to right a wrong they see in public.

The real problem in the uk is the lack of police on our streets.

ACOYEAR8, Pomza and Ellakits like this.
  12. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I feel for us all here. We're as @install says in a sticky situation. If students become ill, isn't it likely that schools will be seen as failing -not the parents who let their child ' party in the park?'

13. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Why the rant at the Unions? Isn't the SD etc mandated by the government?

14. ridleyrumpus

Or attend a workplace with vulnerable people?

jellycowfish and agathamorse like this.
  15. ridleyrumpus

With respect that is a ridiculous argument.

Littering is very rarely enforced in society so should we just allow it in schools?

16. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I mean that it should be enforced since like littering, which I detest, it always seems that school is the only place where such enforcement can take place.

jellycowfish and ridleyrumpus like this.
  17. ridleyrumpus

"I think the rules are largely unnecessary for healthy people, especially kids, yes."

You are aware that the rules are there to protect the society as a whole and not the individual?

Reading this I am not surprised that we are going do well in keeping the numbers down.

18. ridleyrumpus

Really?

You are not agreeing with each other in any meaningful way, how do you read both posts and think that you are?

19. ridleyrumpus

Where do you get 0.08% from?

By my reckoning, if true, you would need 50,000,000 infections to kill 40,000 at that rate.

20. ridleyrumpus

It seems that you live in a scary world.

Please explain how the redtrictiins will kill 40,000+ young people.