1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ACOYEAR8, Jun 3, 2020.

1. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

The bubbles and social distancing in schools are a little bit like "smoke and mirrors" especially as you know they are mixing outside of school, but what is the alternative? At least it might keep staff safer. We'll probably all be locked down again before Xmas anyway! However, I hope this is not the case.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  2. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I think that reporting kids fro your own school to the police for not obeying social distancing rules is disgusting, yes.

I think the rules are largely unnecessary for healthy people, especially kids, yes.

I'm sorry about your cousin: he has certainly succumbed unusually quickly and I hope he soon makes a full recovery, as do >95%. I know dozens of people who have been breaking the rules for weeks who are not in hospital and who are not ill.

I think the extreme hysteria about Covid 19 is silly.

I think that if we don't get back to normal very quickly, more people will eventually die because of the restrictions than will die of Covid19. And, sadly, these will be younger people, not the very elderly and ill who are in many cases in the last few months of their lives anyway.

3. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

I hope you're of he
    That's not the point. They could endanger others. They're young. Super. They may have middle-aged parents who won't be able to withstand the virus so easily.

ridleyrumpus, Pomza and Catgirl1964 like this.
  4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I agree that is a possibility, but can only repeat what I stated earlier: "I think that if we don't get back to normal very quickly, more people will eventually die because of the restrictions than will die of Covid19. And, sadly, these will be younger people, not the very elderly and ill who are in many cases in the last few months of their lives anyway."

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

my cousin has just died, he was younger than me, and has left a teenage daughter and an ex wife and a twin brother. He did succumb very quickly. He was ill for less than a week

6. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

This is not true for all students. Some are very concerned about spreading it to vulnerable family members. Some even realise it has killed young, fit people like themselves. Some are not fit and healthy and realise they are especially vulnerable.

ridleyrumpus and strawbs like this.
  7. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

I'm certain it doesn't take many non conforming students to spread contagion. South Korea had the one guy going from club to club.....
    I see the efforts from schools to follow govt guidance like allowing passengers to visit a weapons shop after passing through a security check before boarding the plane.

jellycowfish and Happyregardless like this.
  8. mistermanager

mistermanager New commenter

That is a really idiotic viewpoint, there are no two ways about it. The rules are completely necessary for everybody and the science backs that up. What a deeply idiotic post. And before you say anything, yes I think we need to get out of lockdown asap and get the economy up and running and I most definitely do not support Labour on any level.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  9. theworm123

theworm123 Lead commenter

Where are the parents in this? A 14 year is not an adult (like they seem to think they are) and are still the responsibility of their parents so they should be held accountable also.

ridleyrumpus, Pomza, Marisha and 2 others like this.
  10. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I actually found this a difficult post to read.
    Seriously.
    In fact it left me completely silent for about 21 seconds before I could even begin to reply.

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

With students who are not social distancing outside school but gathering in large groups in parks , clear lack of parental awareness, is it not appropriate that authorities are informed at least ?
    If it is against the law to be in such larger groups then these groups need to be dispersed. The problem I think is a ' sneaky' belief that it doesn't matter any more.
    I believe a similar POV was held not so long ago by the horse racing events authorities.
    Schools have been physically transformed, entire school days have been re-thought, countless hours spent on ensuring safety but meanwhile the music plays in the park, the groups cluster together dancing and then are expected to stand 2 m apart at break time. This is what I cannot fathom.

Marisha and Catgirl1964 like this.
  12. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

My cousin is dead . He broke social distancing rules twice that I know of. Once 2 weeks ago and once 10 days ago. If he caught it the first time then he spread it the second time. He was fine a week ago and he died yesterday evening. He has left a teenage daughter. She has also broken social distancing at least once, so it is also possible that she gave it to her father, She will never know. She will still be wondering in 20 year, and in 60 years. If he got it from his daughter, then he could have spread it both times he broke social distancing. He was probably wondering who he'd given it to as he died. He was 49. He was a builder. He was fit and healthy except he was a smoker

13. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm at a bit of a loss.

You state that you "think we need to get out of lockdown asap and get the economy up and running".

I state that I "think that if we don't get back to normal very quickly, more people will eventually die because of the restrictions than will die of Covid19. And, sadly, these will be younger people..."

Then you state that I've made a deeply idiotic post.

Given that we agree, which bit of my post did you find idiotic, and why?

14. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm truly sorry for your loss.

Given the numbers and the extremely low chance of getting this, never mind of dying from it - 0.08% - he was unbelievably unfortunate.

15. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

It's because we live in the real world, ACO, not the world as people imagine it to be.
    It's also, IMO, because people are realising that this thing will have its way whatever we do, and that we need to ensure that the "cure" is not more dangerous than the actual disease - which it probably is, for >99.9% of the population.

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  16. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

What part of...

"I think the extreme hysteria about Covid 19 is silly.

I think that if we don't get back to normal very quickly, more people will eventually die because of the restrictions than will die of Covid19. And, sadly, these will be younger people, not the very elderly and ill who are in many cases in the last few months of their lives anyway."

...do you think is incorrect or difficult?

17. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

ACOYEAR8 likes this.
  18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

My 21 second comment was with reference to the recent reporting on Trudeau's pause when responding to something he fundamentally disagreed with. So there is no one particular part. Just fundamentally.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  19. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I haven't a clue where Trudeau comes into it and I know almost nothing about him except that he appears to be some kind of extreme woke liberal who is wrecking Canadian society, but if you fundamentally disagree that if we don't get back to normal very quickly, more people will eventually die because of the restrictions than will die of Covid19 and that, sadly, these will be younger people, then I can only say that I think you are living in a parallel universe.

20. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I'm sure they are right. I've said several times that it will have its day whatever we do.

But the nettle that none of these scientists seems to want, or be able, to grasp is precisely the point I keep making: what level of risk and death to younger people and long-term damage to the fabric of our society are we prepared to accept through social lockdown measures in order to try to protect that small percentage of older and possibly vulnerable people who, when they get the virus, may not recover?

One answer is to let society go on largely as normal yet to isolate the truly vulnerable and the very old in specific gated communities or areas until the rest of the population has immunity and the virus becomes rare. I expect many wouldn't want that, as I wouldn't, and it should be a free choice, but it is nonetheless one possible, less than ideal, way through this.