1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

WHY ARE WE DOING THIS ?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ACOYEAR8, Jun 3, 2020.

1. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Spent day in Secondary yesterday as part of rota with KW students. All fine, oodles of signage on floors and walls, sanitisers around all corners, taped off rooms etc.
    Clearly ,thought, immense effort and money has gone into ensuring a safe return.
    On my way home, I cut though the local park (quite a large one) and found substantial groups of students gathered enjoying each others' company and practising the art of ignoring social distancing completely. It struck me as a tad absurd that in a matter of days/weeks some of these students would be required to sit 2m apart, stand 2 m apart and keep apart during break and lunch (bubbles excepting) . I see increasingly larger gatherings of youth pretty much everywhere -obviously six is a difficult number to visualise for some people.
    Question, use both sides of the paper, " Why are we allowing this to happen and what can we do ?

2. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

I totally agree!
    I don't have an answer but feel your pain/anger.

3. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

Of course it's pretty much a waste of time, utterly pointless, but the Unions would have a tantrum if schools didn't jump these pointless hoops. As you say, the moment they leave the school gates, it's back to 'avin a laugh in the park wiv mates'.

Pandemic, social distancing, wot's that, innit?

Jonntyboy, Marshall and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

There's no real risk to them, and they know it. Good. Let them be kids: youth is fleeting enough as it is.

5. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I’m not sure I agree that’s a good idea.

You’re saying we adopt the idea “Look! They’re behaving like idiots! Why don’t we do the same?”

I’m not a lefty, nor have I had much from mine about the virus. But I think schools are right to have the same restrictions as everyone else.

You’re talking as if 2m is an exceptional measure being demanded only by teachers. It isn’t. It’s the national standard for workplaces across the U.K. at this time.

The police need to get involved if there are illegal gatherings.

6. drvs

drvs Star commenter

Just relax, so long as you keep washing your hands everything will be fine :D

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  7. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

report them to the police. We have reported several of our own students

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

And if one or more of them live in a household with older, or medically more vulnerable, people?

9. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The absurdity of insisting that students who have probably come to school rubbing shoulders with each other, exchanged high fives in the park after school being made to social distance in school -I think it's 'the law' for schools and at great expense buildings have been re-formatted, timetable re-designed etc all for this to be undone when they leave for home.

verrückt

10. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Look, there are some old and/or vulnerable people who will die from this at some point in the future, just as they would from a bad dose of flu. We must accept that. But we don't shut society down every December because of flu. We could. And if we did fewer old people would die from flu.

We can't stop the world just because a few people will die from something.

We don't have 5mph speed limits to avoid all road deaths - but we could.

Yes it's sad and nobody wants anybody to die really, ever. But we have to face facts and live in the rweal world.

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

Stimmt!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

That's disgusting. IMO.

13. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

What can we do? Not a lot.

We can control our own actions; we are limited in what we can do to change the actions of others.

agathamorse, ACOYEAR8 and Jonntyboy like this.
  14. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

And your solution is to say that, because some school-aged children are breaking social distancing rules, we should insist on them all kicking door handles on their return?

This is ridiculous.

Many adults are breaking the rules, too. Should we therefore drop the 2m rule everywhere?

15. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

Apologies, I don't think I suggested anything about kicking door handles. I wanted to highlight that students would be going through a day of ' charades' at school in accordance with Govt guidance. This guidance can be enforced at school but not in a local park. Why have it at all ?

Jonntyboy likes this.
  16. drvs

drvs Star commenter

The presence of risk in settings that can't be controlled doesn't invalidate efforts to reduce risk in settings that can.

Though I agree, it does seem pretty futile to those of us who are not directly accountable.

peter12171 and adultsocialcare like this.
  17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

If the aim of the 'measure' is to reduce the risk of becoming infected then we're not off to an Oscar winning performance. If it's to to reduce the risk to staff then we may have something.

ridleyrumpus likes this.
  18. drvs

drvs Star commenter

That ship sailed some months ago now.

ridleyrumpus and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  19. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

if you mean people getting away with breaking social distancing, yes it is disgusting, and people are dying, and the more they do it, the more people will die.

if you mean reporting them to the police is disgusting, then I think its disgusting to see someone breaking social distancing rules and not report them to the police.

My cousin broke social distancing rules last week. He is now in hospital.

Do you think the rules are there for fun?

Pomza, BetterNow, dammitjim22 and 2 others like this.
  20. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

The activity in parks negates all the work, the stress and suffering endured by thousands since lockdown began. If there's any point in issuing rules, there's every point in ensuring they're followed. Ironically, in the same park the army had set up a testing centre. There were no signs indicating the centre existed but apparently there had been a notice on Face Book. Some soldiers looking bemusedly at watches while great swathes of youngsters gathered nearby would make a great picture on the front page of a paper. Not one single police officer anywhere.