1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are there so many Early Years Advisers?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by BrainJim, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Not just advisers there seems a plethora of 'lead teachers' for early years. Why the obsession with reception (and it is reception) and not even nursery. I can't remember the last time a primary advisers went into key stage 1 or 2. These advisers talk endlessly about the minutiae of early years data (e.g. Why are boys 5.3 in creative development when girls are a whopping 5.8, is it poor provision (I'm pretending to be an adviser there) )

But why is there this obsession with reception.
    Can I ask you one more question? After a visit or attendance at a course how are you left feeling?

2. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Is that what happens in your school SOAPy?

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

There are so many early years advisors because
    nursery and reception are a third of the primary school
    the stage has its own curriculum (which is due to see some changes )
    the early years situation is a political arena
    the assessments attached to reception require moderation so that data can be collected and analysed
    all OFSTED and other inspections and evaluations start with early years
    teaching and learning has to be uniform in early years so that data can be compared
    It is no longer the case that reception teachers can potter along doing their best without interference from further up the food chain. We are in the process of creating a MacDonalds approach to early years education (with extra paperwork).

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We don't really attend LEA run courses.
    Usually see an advisor for profile moderation (once a year) unless we ask for a visit and it is a really positive experience.

5. fulloffun

fulloffun New commenter

We have to attend LEA moderation meetings and they leave me feeling 'what a waste of time'

6. Govt cuts- only 1 part time early yrs advs left!
    Don't go to any LEA training as school not bought into that package as a waste of time only use early excellence now.

7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Our were all made redundant this year with cuts. Neighbouring LA's cut by 2 thirds.

8. T34

T34 Established commenter

A quarter, if nursery exists. A seventh if it doesn't.
    Nursery, Reception, Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4, Y5, Y6

9. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Senior commenter

Some children are in nursery for two years - those born in September and Autumn. So there are two cohorts in most nurseries. Two years of nursery + reception, Key Stage 1 (two years) and Key Stage 2 (four years).
    It's a third of a primary school if there is a nursery.