1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are there no grammar schools in Scotland?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by tartetatin, May 13, 2011.

1. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hi everyone,
    I'm not on 'Scotland' very often, so I do apologise if this has been asked before!
    Why are there no grammar schools in Scotland (or at least, none as far as I can see)? I'm simply curious. Would you like there to be or do you see it as being too elitist?
    Thanks for your thoughts [​IMG]

2. Flyonthewall75

Flyonthewall75 New commenter

There are still some state secondary schools in Scotland that have retained the title 'Grammar' from the previous system of education which existed prior to the introduction of Comprehensive education.
    Prior to the mid-1960s, pupils transferred from primary school to either a Senior, or Junior, Secondary on the basis of the Qualification Exam, or 'Quali' (the Scottish equivalent of the '11-plus').
    The Senior Secondaries provided up to six years of secondary education whilst the Junior Secondaries provided initially only three years of secondary education, later extended to four with the raising of the school leaving age.
    In addition, whilst the education in the Senior Secondaries tended towards more academic subjects, the Junior Secondaries (similar to Secondary Moderns) tended to provide more practical subjects.
    In Scotland, LAs are Education Authorities responsible for state schooling, and legislation introduced in the late 50s and early 60s required LAs to draw up plans for new Comprehensive secondary schools to replace the Senior and Junior Secondary system.
    There are also independent / private schools in Scotland which may, or may not, use the name 'Grammar' in their title and other state secondaries which still retain the title 'Academy' or 'College' in their school name.
    I hope this helps, in part, to explain the different education system which exists in Scotland.

3. The short answer is that we don't select for secondary school. If people want to choose a school which is more successful at getting kids good exam grades they move into the catchment area. Is it a good thing? Depends where you live...