1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are supermarkets shedding thousands of managerial jobs?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Duke of York, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51223217

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51196869

I can understand it when local management roles disappear through natural wastage, i.e. when someone leaves and with a bit of local adustment, their job role gets split up among other staff, but planned losses of managerial staff is interesting, since it suggests the roles weren't actually required.

Will Brexit end up being more damaging to white collar jobs than for the lesser paid ones?

Might be expect this trend to become the norm outside commerce? For example, will they start asking why schools need so many managers?

ajrowing likes this.
  2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Every supermarket I go to seems to have managers who take it in turns to stand around "just in case", sometimes they need to stand in a group intensely discussing things and the "just in case" events have to wait until they are done. None of these managers seem able to get behind a till and help the customers effectively.

Perhaps this has been acknowledged as I see that 3,000 manager jobs are going, but 7,000 customer-facing roles are being created instead.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The firm says it is also creating 7,000 new hourly-paid roles at its 500 stores, meaning a net 4,000 new posts.

The new jobs will be in customer-facing roles, such as more butchers, bakers, fishmongers, the supermarket said.

Morrisons said the new roles will be a mixture of part and full time posts, but declined to reveal how the numbers will be split.

"There will also be more roles with greater flexibility that are very attractive to colleagues with families."

So is that last sentence a euphemism for 'zero hour contracts'?

4. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

One can only hope.
    My high school had 1400 pupils, 11-18. One HT. Two DHTs. 5 HoY, one Ho6th form, one HoD for each dept covering curriculum, development, progress and everything else. No assistant HTs, no Associate HTs, no Exec HT, no Lead-for-whatevers. Worked fine.

emerald52 likes this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

:( probably

6. Duke of York

I've always found it to be a strength of Morrisons that their butchery and fish selection beats the other supermarkets. Interestingly though, our local Tesco hypermarket closes its manned meat and fish counters midweek.

I expect so. It makes me wonder whether all the graduates leaving university with degrees and debt will be finding the higher paid jobs they hoped to get. It strikes me that customer-facing roles are better suited to people trained for vocational careers.

7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Many genuine graduate jobs are customer facing. I don't see why vocational training makes people more suited.

colpee likes this.
  8. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

They have to compete with Aldi and Lidl so they are streamlining and digitizing their supply chains... probably also a fair whack of automation coming in ...

Also their sales over Christmas weren't great so might be shedding chaff

9. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Nah, surely schools should get rid of more teachers and get in more data-managers/massagers, and make sure no HT actually teaches, or has ever done so for more than a few years? They could get people to stand in front of classes for no wages, let's call em cover supervisors, and we could get all the teaching assistants to teach, much cheaper, who cares if they feel unprepared or unwilling? This sort of thing's worked so well for healthcare, no?

10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

I wonder if Lidl will take this to heart. There always seem to be staff hanging around, as @Mangleworzle described but only one working the till. Even when the queue for the checkout reaches more than halfway to the rear of the shop, and the floor is littered with baskets abandoned by frustrated shoppers who have given up and walked out, none of these additional staff will open up a second till.

11. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Very true. I used to shop at Lidl reasonably regularly until it became more popular. The queues became so long I decided it wasn't worth the wait to save a couple of quid.

12. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Morrisons has had 'just in time' ordering/deliveries for many years. It doesn't need workers to organise it. A sale at the till registers at HQ as a product that needs to be replaced on the shelves.
    Suppliers often demand a particular display protocol or HQ decides where items should be placed. That can be easily communicated to less senior staff than managers for implementation. It doesn't need a manager in a suit (mainly men in my experience) standing in an aisle and pointing out that x needs moving to a higher shelf and y needs to be put in its place.I
    Some autonomy should be given to shop floor staff too. A few years ago I reached for a box of eggs on the top shelf of a Co-op store. The box was hot from the overhead lighting. I reported to the staff that the eggs were being cooked on the shelf. It turns out that they knew. They had reported it but had no powers to rearrange shelves until permission came through. Crazy!

13. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

To save money and boost profits.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Most supermarkets have too many managers anyway.

15. Duke of York

That seems to be the thinking, but previously it was deemed to be thought they were needed. I'm interested why Morrisons in particular have decided they had too many chiefs and not enough indians.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Morrisons are in a bit of financial difficulty.