1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are Steve Wright's oldies...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by ShadowMan, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ShadowMan

ShadowMan New commenter

always from the same era and of the same genre every time I listen.
    They're supposed to be chosen by a listener but if you asked for Blondie, The Jam or Elvis Costello you wouldn't stand a chance.
    Ask for Neil Diamond, Simon and Garfunkel or Matt Monro and you'll be featured in a trice.

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Evans is a ***. Ginger and ADHD. Who needs that first thing in the morning? And he does always talk over the ending of records. I like Richard Madeley. But Graham Norton was better. Saturday tomorrow. I like Graham on a Saturday morning. Set the alarm for 10 am.

3. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

personally i like sounds of the sixties......sunday afternoon with elaine page on musicals, and sunday morning
    used to like the archers on 4 but ages since i listened
    yet in the car i listen to Magic or to classical.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The continuing presence of Ken Bruce on the morning show astounds me, it really does. He's terminally boring. I'm especially put to sleep by his 'Popmaster' quiz, which I caught a bit of whilst driving the other day. He was trilling about the marvellous prize on offer; it was a cd wallet...
    Chris Evans is a very poor substitute for Wogan, IMO (though I'm aware he gets big audiences).

5. I must admit to not having actually heard this slot for years, but I always felt that Blondie, The Jam, Elvis C, Squeeze, The Clash, XTC, and the like were ALWAYS played.

I love these bands, so it's probably a good thing I just use my spotify account instead. No more inane chatter or annoying DJs singing over the intros.

6. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I used to love Terry on the journey to work and was determined to find another station when Chris Evans took over. Alas I got used to him and really enjoyed the banter and silliness - took a long time to get used to his hyper personality though.
    Now that I no longer drive to work, if I am up earlier enough[​IMG] to hear Chris then I find him very very annoying!!
    Can't stand Wogan on a Sunday, have gone right off him. Love the songs Elaine Page plays on a sunday but she is as batty as a fruitcake!!!

7. ian60

ian60 New commenter

I don't live in the UK, and maybe that gives me a different view on the R2 presenters.
    I really like all of the day time squad, but if I had to rank them it would go:
    1) Chris Evans
    2) Simon Mayo
    3) The bloke after Chris Evans (whose name fails me just now)
    4) Steve Wright
    I really don't mind Steve Wright at all, I just prefer the others.
    I was never a R2 listener when TW was the morning presenter, maybe he was very good, bu I really don't like his weekend show at all.
    Still, there seems to be a lot of good listening on R2 for me, and there is a huge amount on R4 for when I am driving.
    I love BBC Radio!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I'm a radio 2 listener and love SteveWrightintheAfternoon and if you've only heard songs from a particular time being played during the non stop oldies slot you're not listening very often! I quite like trying to guess the age of the listener whose choices are being played.
    I'm not keen on Ken Bruce but I do like the Pop Quiz, though I'm rubbish at answering the questions.
    As a former TOG I really wanted to hate Chris Evans (especially as I'd loathed all his previous shows on tv and radio) but I've warmed to him and really enjoy his show in the mornings. I like his upbeat personality and he's made it clear that he now knows that he was a **** in the past.
    Jeremy Vine's show makes me want to chew my fist - the Daily Mail for radio! Yeuch! His choice of music is excellent though!
    If I minded radio presenters talking over songs I'd listen to cassettes (my car is that old) instead.