1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are poorly performing PTs never demoted?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by Freddie92, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

We all know that when HMIe come calling and an HT does badly they are asked to retire. So what happens to the poor old PT who lands out of his/her depth and becomes another example of The Peter Principle?

The option should be there for some of them to stand down voluntarily and go back to being a classroom teacher, and let them be conserved for a couple of years and then lose their salary.

I feel very sorry for people who end up as PTs but have nightmare staff under them or the ones who just can't handle the job and their health visibly suffers. I don't feel sorry for the ones who have a brass neck and can just plod on through it without a care while everyone else is putting out fires!

2. Freddie92

We all know that when HMIe come calling and an HT does badly they are asked to retire. So what happens to the poor old PT who lands out of his/her depth and becomes another example of The Peter Principle?

The option should be there for some of them to stand down voluntarily and go back to being a classroom teacher, and let them be conserved for a couple of years and then lose their salary.

I feel very sorry for people who end up as PTs but have nightmare staff under them or the ones who just can't handle the job and their health visibly suffers. I don't feel sorry for the ones who have a brass neck and can just plod on through it without a care while everyone else is putting out fires!

3. heldon

heldon Occasional commenter

PTs don't receive any training or support -increasingly they are faculty heads -even more problems
    we used to have advisers -do they exist anywhere anymore?
    i actually have suggested before that all PTs should have been asked to get to point 3 on the CT scale before being allowed to apply for PT positions -that would have demonstrated to them the value of CTs
    they would then be able to complete a number of management modules to compliment them in their jobs -those that decide to stay only classroom based would have been able to complete the CT route -seems like that won't be possible though in the future
    it would also mean an end to those that teach for 2 -3 years then all of a sudden they are a PT?
    what is that all about

4. And devalue the CT post as another stepping stone towards promotion?

CT was supposed to be for those who want to avoid the responsibility of managing a faculty.

Anyway, you are forgetting that there are PT's currently in post who have already got the equivalent of a CT qualification - they just haven't written an essay about it ;) It's called Continuous Professional Development, and it allows anyone, regardless of their financial status or family situation the opportunity to further their education and their skills to enable them to perform better in their job.

5. Freddie92

You are assuming some PTs do their own CPD. I know some that not only do not update their skills but pay lip service to staff PRD.

6. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

oh you are having such a laugh - shows how little you know cheesy, if you think CT is about essay writing. Hells teeth - we all do CPD and some PTs I know do the least of all.
    wrong again - it was designed to allow the classroom teacher to enhance their PUPILS' learning by research and other-than-ordinary learning experiences without the teacher being a leader (i.e. PT or SMT). The blasted Fachead system was shoved upon us after the CT qualification was introduced.
    Anyway, congratulations - your patronising comments have wound me up and spoilt my Wednesday. [​IMG]

7. That's why I said there are PT's who do their own CPD. Undoubtedly there will be those who dont, however I stated it in order to point out the ridiculousness of the point made by HoldingOn that suggested that all PT's should do part of the CT course prior to becoming PT. Not all PT's are like he suggested, and in my experience, I've worked with more effective PT's than ineffective ones.

8. lol. You are right, I'm having a laugh.

9. Freddie92

I thought it was illegal to begin recording information without someone's knowledge?

10. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Fred, of course any teacher can keep a record of information when they are being bullied, treated badly or the dept is suffering as a result of such behaviour. If you mean recording as in the audio sense, I think you are right, but anyone can document evidence on paper, and with witnesses is even better.

11. Freddie92

Listen, I believe you guys as I nearly fell of my seat when I heard this... back in 2007 would you believe. I would think it would be sensible to keep a record/timeline of a potential issue. But that is what that heid said!