1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are overseas schools asking for DBS?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by krakowiak6, Jun 16, 2019.

1. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

There are so many overseas schools asking for a DBS. I thought DBS can only be used for UK schools. The DBS told me some time ago that overseas employers are not entitled to view them. As far as I know, an ICPC is the only certificate that an overseas employer can ask for. Why is TES allowing job adverts to ask for a DBS then?

2. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Probably because they don't read the adverts that carefully, or don't think it their job to tell people what they can and can't do. Having never applied for a teaching role overseas, I am not sure why the process has to be different. If you have a valid DBS certificate, it is really an issue to show it to a potential employer overseas?

3. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

If an overseas school is asking for DBS, then they probably don't understand how it works and are asking to tick a box. That in itself should be a warning.
    If a school is on the ball and is experiened in recruiting UK and other international teachers, they will already know what DBS is and isn't for. A decent school knows to ask for the ICPC and will offer to reimburse the cost.

4. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 Occasional commenter

What is the difference between a DBS and an ICPC? I think an ICPC doesn't show the barred lists but shows everything else including spent convictions and cautions.

5. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

6. JaneyEm27

JaneyEm27 New commenter

If you have DBS on a rolling renewal, some British schools accept that. I was asked for mine when I applied abroad. However, because I didn't have the renewal service in operation, I needed the ICPC. I suspect it is a cost saving measure.

7. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Essentially, all international schools which are registered with organisations like the Council of International Schools must request a police check at the time of appointment - some countries, like China and UAE, also require this as part of the visa process. There has been a big push in child protection internationally following some high profile cases and schools are being tighter on what they require.

With regard to the terminology used, in my experience they usually talk about DBS as shorthand for the criminal record check - if you produce the ICPC then they should accept that. Disclosure Scotland is also fine.