1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are most school's PSRN calculating scores so low?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hurny, Mar 20, 2012.

1. hurny

hurny New commenter

What can be the cause of this problem? Could it be to do with the unrealistic expectations of independent, child initiated calculating skills and not to do with problems with our teaching methods?
    I am becoming increasingly frustrated, trying to find evidence for children's independent calculating.
    We model calculating all the time drawing on children's interests, comparing the amount of boys/girls, adding scores for ball games, board games, shopping games (adding up prices), numicon, but take the adult away and approximately 20% of the children demonstrate the skills independently.
    I have seen CI calculating going on, but not enough to make a judgement that the child can do it independently.
    Why do we have to go through this stress?

2. hurny

hurny New commenter

What can be the cause of this problem? Could it be to do with the unrealistic expectations of independent, child initiated calculating skills and not to do with problems with our teaching methods?
    I am becoming increasingly frustrated, trying to find evidence for children's independent calculating.
    We model calculating all the time drawing on children's interests, comparing the amount of boys/girls, adding scores for ball games, board games, shopping games (adding up prices), numicon, but take the adult away and approximately 20% of the children demonstrate the skills independently.
    I have seen CI calculating going on, but not enough to make a judgement that the child can do it independently.
    Why do we have to go through this stress?

3. hurny

hurny New commenter

And why am I up at midnight typing this post[​IMG] Sad....I know!

4. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

I know how you feel! I've posted about this before too. I've also asked out EY Consultant for help and all she suggested was "things like not putting enough chairs at a table" and couldn't expand on the "things" when pushed. We were moderated last year, so our calculating scores were low because there was CI evidence for them - and then we got hammered for having low scores. I'm going to be taking a more pragmatic view this year I think - based on what is useful information for the Y1 teacher. We've done loads of extra caculating input and lots goes on in informal activities so I'm including some of that in my evidence.

5. In the new EYFS, calculating no longer exists as a separate strand. Instead, the requirements for calculating are woven in to the number, and into the shape space and measure.
    I've often wondered why calculating is so low, but have come to the conclusion that it is linked to children's language development. For example, children cannot be expected to understand mathematical language and concepts if they have not yet acquired the language that they need to do so.
    This is why we must teach early years in a holistic way, rather than segmenting the different areas of learning. They all interlink with each other and were never designed to stand alone.

6. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

What annoys me most about this is that, during a recent staff meeting, we were doing 'in-house' moderation and I was being asked to produce evidence of my children <u>working independently</u> to achieve so-and-so a point.
    Then, when looking at the APP my year 1 colleague was completing, it was expected that the children could complete those statements<u> with support</u>.

It vexes me greatly that our children can only achieve a point if doing it without adult input, yet year 1 can expect support. It's a mixed up system, to be sure!

7. spectra75

spectra75 New commenter

so true.