1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are militant students so ignorant and blind?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Oct 25, 2018.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

And so downright thick??

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-45978590

A students' union president has sparked outrage by saying a mural dedicated to war heroes should be painted over.

The artwork, at the University of Southampton, shows a degree being given to an unknown soldier.

Union president Emily Dawes faced a backlash online after saying the "mural of white men" would be taken down or daubed over.

[​IMG]

However, she has now apologised for "the offence and upset" caused by her original message.

The university said it was "very proud" to display the mural, "which serves as a memorial to all members of British universities" who served in World War One.

A petition calling for Ms Dawes to resign from her post has been signed more than 400 times.

Pass that petition and a pen over here!!

2. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

You only need to read the posts of some in this forum.. White men are the enemy of this country it seems.

3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Speak for yourself, leftenant.

MAGAorMIGA likes this.
  4. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Love you too sweetie pie Xxx

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Lol

6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

"White men" who were beloved sons, brothers, husbands, fathers and friends of women, and who sacrificed an awful lot to rid the world a fascism.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Grrr white men... what an awful lot they are... grrr....

[stupid inter sectional hierarchy of oppression]

agathamorse, woollani and nomad like this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Whoops I got the wrong war. Sorry. Scratch out fascism.

Burndenpark likes this.
  9. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Some people need to feel outrage to feel worthy.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I bet we all said bl**dy stupid stuff at that age. I know I did. And if Twitter had been around at the time, I would have said stupid stuff to a bigger audience than friends and family. Dodged a bullet there.

Yes. Many Tes posters illustrate this point beautifully.

11. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Typical white response.

woollani likes this.
  12. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Looks like it wasn't a good career move...

'Silly Snowflake' who threatened to paint over war memorial mural is 'on leave until further notice' from her £20,000-a-year student rep job
    • Southampton University students' union president 'put on indefinite leave'
    • Emily Dawes had been criticised for comments over First World War mural
    • She said it should be 'painted over' because it 'only displayed white men'
    • Miss Dawes, who earns £20,000 through the post, has since apologised
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-paint-war-memorial-mural-leave-notice.html

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Since when were student reps paid £20,000 a year? It used to be a voluntary job undertaken by those hoping to climb the greasy pole of politics.

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

She threatens to 'paint over' the mural?

It would never happen. She has only ever used crayons. She would have to learn what a brush is (despite being as daft as one), how to open a tin of paint and how to dip the brush into it.

Just another silly, attention seeking, ignorant brat who has not yet realised she is no longer in kindergarten.

15. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Probably very keen to demonstrate how darned "right on" she is. What an insult to the memories of those who gave their lives for this country most of whom never dreamt of dossing their time away at some privileged Uni.

16. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Students may have intelligence, but they often lack analytical ability, and of course, experience.

needabreak and nizebaby like this.
  17. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I think the dumbing down of the media and not only wanting your 15minutes of fame but being able to get it has a lot to do with it. Jade Goody a great example of how we glorify the thick and how we keep making thick people very rich, overnight celebrities. She did not even win the competition! (Sad of course she passed away so young)

Many kids these days firmly believe they, too, can be Jade - and they will do whatever it takes to get known.

In fairness to them, they are not entirely wrong. The thief who looks like the Friends' actor is almost certain to become a celebrity in his own right once caught due to social media and mainstream media. Nick Leeson was likewise rewarded for bringing a bank down with celebrity.

It would not surprise me if this girl too makes a short but successful financial killing on the interview circuit.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  18. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

19. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

A wholesome dose of embarrassment will do wonders for her in the long run.

Laphroig and nomad like this.
  20. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I remember these type of students at university. They wanted to save the planet and yet they couldn't even keep their rooms clean and tidy.