1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are lower ability pupils forced to do more GCSEs in some subjects?+Right amount of GCSEs?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Dalek1099, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Why are lower ability pupils forced to do more GCSEs in some subjects?+Right amount of GCSEs? I am quite clever but terrible at sport.So i have to take: English Language (1) English Literature (1)-Lower ability pupils take Media(2) Maths(1) French(1)-not compulsory for lower ability pupils Science(2)-option to take 3 Geography/History(1) ICT(1) PE(2)-Higher ability students take (1) RE(1)-0.5 to lower ability students +2 option blocks Minimum (2) Maximum (7) between both option blocks I'm taking Extra ICT(1) Business(2) So its possible to take 18 just following the guidelines of the school and maybe you could do more but i'm taking 14 and i have already took 1 in Y9

2. glenn_xp

glenn_xp New commenter

Your explanation of of the different combinations has left me a bit lost but I think you will find a lot of schools are now pushing the lower ability students towards more GCSE subjects because of the EBac. Where a student might have taken BTEC science in the past they will now be directed towards the GCSE along with a language and history or geography. The result is it narrows the option choices for a lot of kids who are already fed up doing these subjects and are probably more suited to a vocational route. Schools want to get as many through the EBac as possible because it is going to impact on the league tables.