1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why are builders always so cheerfully right wing?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Johnny_Bluenote, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

We are having some refurbishment done on our Sixth Form Block. Sometime I stop by and shoot the breeze with the builders. As with all builders I have ever encountered they are right wing to a man. I don't have to tell you today their views on Syria.

Somewhere out there in England's green and pleasant land there must be a left wing builder. I have not so far met him.

2. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

As an ex builder you won find many.We builders are opinionated like white van man. Thing is we don't have to fight and besides the new Bulgarian,Polish and Romanian ones don't do politics..the chines don't talk just smoke, and the Indian ones always pretend they don't speak English if you ask them ;0

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

The bloke currently pruning down the Leylandii at the bottom of our garden (they're actually in the garden of the house that backs on to ours, but they won't have them done, so we have to pay for it) started talking about UKIP (positively) within a minute of my answering the door to him. I felt this must have been some sort of record.

4. T34

T34 Lead commenter

They tend to be in work, fit, heterosexual and hard-working.
    They don't need to be left wing.
    Add to that they are being undercut by recent immigrants.

What's to explain?

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Well, we've had dozens since July and not a one has uttered a political word in my hearing. Must be me.

The only discourse of this nature was with the boiler engineer and he was a leftie. I was inspired to join the Labour Party after our little chat.

Not sure how representative he was though. He'd retrained after becoming disillusioned as an Art teacher at FE!!! (Says it all.)

lindenlea likes this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

@T34
    I love that! So lefties are doing it to get laid?

Don't think it bears a great deal of examination but it made me laugh.

7. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Why? Because they have real jobs and earn their own money would be my guess.

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

What rules do you employ to gauge whether a person has "earned" their money @artboyusa ?

9. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

The part where you earn it. As opposed to someone giving it to you.

10. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Maybe they're all in Scotland.

11. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I once hired a plumber who was convinced that what society needed was a nuclear war.

I suppose the more places that get blown up, the more places that will need plumbers (and builders) to fix them.

Post Apocalyptic Plumbing eh? Talk about a niche market.

12. Johnny_Bluenote

Ha! Ha! Ha! This really made me laugh out loud.

13. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Well by that definition - being a paid worker - is not something special to builders is it! @artboyusa ?

14. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

Why are builders always so cheerfully right wing?

Bricks do drop on heads...

Didactylos4 likes this.
  15. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

That's one of those posts that you feel you shouldn't laugh at, but inevitably do.

Perhaps they were intoxicated with Thatcher's format for self made people in the 80's, daughter of a grocer and all that?!

16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

maybe they have a right to an opinion and prove it despite what others think.After all they are often independent workfolk who use a lot of determination to succeed.

17. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Is it just decorators who are ultra left?
    upload_2015-12-3_20-13-18.jpeg

18. Johnny_Bluenote

HEAR! HEAR!

19. rachelpaula008

rachelpaula008 Star commenter

Oh, some of you seem so arrogant in your replies. Definitely not T34, grumpy, artboy - perhaps and oldsome.

I dislike teachers who who don't recognise children can do other things.

The OP is probably a wind - up. And, my ex earns more than me, in his 'manual' job. He's a clever bloke.

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

My husband's pretty left wing, and so's his brother and they're in the building trade (not builders exactly but in that general industry).

They do seem to be the odd ones out among their fellow building tradesmen friends and colleagues, I'll admit. I asked my husband about it and his theory was somewhat less generous than mine so I won't bother repeating it. But I think it's something to do with the fact that the vast majority of the builders I know and associate with don't really take much of an interest in politics other than regurgitating what the headlines of the tabloids tell them, and their attitudes seem to be shaped largely on the belief that everyone who has more than them is just lucky and doesn't deserve the wealth they have, and everyone with less is a work-shy scrounger who is just too lazy to earn an decent wage.
    That's just my experience of the builders I know though.