1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why am not getting shortlisted?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by orangepatriot, Jan 20, 2011.

1. orangepatriot

orangepatriot New commenter

Help!

I've been putting in a fair amount of applications, but am not getting shortlisted. My confidence is starting to become rather dented to say the least, I have nearly ten years teaching experience, middle management and overseas experience, a good track record with results and education based post graduate qualifications. Of course, I know that all of this does not automatically mean I will be shortlisted, but I had hoped after so many applications I might at least have one interview.

Would anyone out there volunteer to have a peek at my CV and letter of application? I do of course tailor the letter to the needs of the post in question, but the basic structure is the same. I've looked at all the job stuff on the forums here, and followed the suggestions made, but I am losing faith now!

I'd be grateful if anyone would be prepared to cast an eye for me.

Cheers.

2. orangepatriot

Help!

I've been putting in a fair amount of applications, but am not getting shortlisted. My confidence is starting to become rather dented to say the least, I have nearly ten years teaching experience, middle management and overseas experience, a good track record with results and education based post graduate qualifications. Of course, I know that all of this does not automatically mean I will be shortlisted, but I had hoped after so many applications I might at least have one interview.

Would anyone out there volunteer to have a peek at my CV and letter of application? I do of course tailor the letter to the needs of the post in question, but the basic structure is the same. I've looked at all the job stuff on the forums here, and followed the suggestions made, but I am losing faith now!

I'd be grateful if anyone would be prepared to cast an eye for me.

Cheers.

3. I'll have a guess. Seems many teachers at home are getting tired of 'home', therefore more teachers are looking overseas. Therefore, the pool of quality teachers that schools can choose from is bigger. This means that very good schools can, at last, work to enlist a full staff of good quality teachers - certainly, I believe the school I am at is employing less 'rucksack, see the pyramids for two years' type of teachers and are recruiting career professionals.
    The downside is that there will be some excellent teachers that end up in sub-standard schools...a miserable existance.
    The other downside is that good staff, like you, aren't able to secure posts.

4. ...posted accidentally. I hadn't finished!
    You will secure a post eventually, but the not so good news is that it might not be at a particularly good school.
    As we 'speak', some rich Egyptian, Saudi, Kuwaiti, Emirati is looking to open a new school with a view to making cash and providing an 'award winning education'.
    And, boy will those schools (the vast majority) be sh7t.
    Anyway, enough of that tosh - a lot of it is to do with the subject you teach. I know of teachers of maths that can't speak English, have no social skills and support Brentford...and they secure top jobs!

5. Orange patriot, I know exactly how you feel! I have shown two deputy heads and my hod and an ex colleague who is in smt. They have all said that they would short list me based on my letter, but then I guess that they also all know me!

Fp, I know there are many people looking to move overseas, but I'm not looking for a quick fix, I'd like a good four or five years in a school. I also appreciate there are many hidden agendas in most schools, and not that this a negative things, necessarily, but it is really dishearting.

Op, rest assured, you're not the only one feeling a bit poo about not getting shortlisted.

6. Hi Orangepatriot, if you want I can have a quick look. zokaya1@yahoo.co.uk
    On the positive, remember that a lot of the good schools are being fussy at the moment. Last time I was job hunting it wasn't until late in the season that I succeeded.
    Are you being too picky with your countries? Schools in Thailand, for example often get hundreds of people applying. Many think it's paradise, which it isn't as nowhere is! Whereas, if you are prepared to go to less popular countries you surely would be shortlisted with 10 years exp I would have thought.
    Another thing, take the International School Reviews that are on the site with a pinch of salt. There are always unhappy teachers at certain schools. Sometimes certain schools get rid of teachers for the right reasons then the same teachers write these reviews. Although, of course not always the case. I really like my current school and yet there were other teachers who don't. It's a matter of opinion sometimes.

7. "...and yet there ARE other teachers who don't."
    Oops!

8. Orangepatriot, love the name, Dutch or Northern Ireland (no surrender) patriot? It's not important - am just curious - that's all.
    Don't be depressed, as there's no such thing as criticism, only feedback. How have you structured your CV? Have you listed your responsibilities and achievements....please explain.

9. orangepatriot

Thanks zokaya you have mail.

Bobby, my name refers to the bike I happened to have at the time of registering; make Orange, model Patriot LT!!
    I;ve been asked if I'm from Northern Ireland or Holland rather a lot on account of it though!

Thanks for all the replies.

A few more jobs have come up - I'm not being too picky about where, though I am not a two year tourist! I'll keep plugging away I guess.

OP

10. Hi Orangepatriot, got your email and will get back to you today [​IMG] I will add that I am no expert, but I do get shortlisted and have a lot less experience teaching than you which is strange. Perhaps there maybe others that can help as well? Did you ever read the very helpful thread on here by TheoGriff about CVs, letters of application? Very useful, do a forum search.
    One quick thing, your letter wouldn't open! It didn't have the ".doc" extension which I had to rename and manually add myself. I hope your applications sent off weren't like this...

11. No it isn't - you are cheaper.

12. stopwatch

stopwatch Occasional commenter

Even if you have an excellent track record, if there are say 5 people who have applied who are even slightly better than you, then you're out of the picture.
    I know it can knock your confidence a bit, but try not to take it personally.
    There have been at least 2 jobs I have applied for and not got interviews, where I have met the eventual appointee who got the job, and I can see why they got it. (Mind you the opposite has also applied which is frustrating in the extreme!).
    If a couple of internal applicants have applied, this automatically halves the number of outside applicants who are invited.
    In addition, it could be something small, but crucial to the job which you don't have, but a couple of applicants do.
    Chin up and fight on.........

13. OrangePatriot, check your email Inbox [​IMG]
    Hope it helps.

14. orangepatriot

Thank you so much Zokaya, I'll get back to you

OP

15. hi op
    i'd be happy to take a look at your cv/letter of appplication as well. i have been lucky enough to have been shortlisted for 6 of the 7 jobs applied for so far and am top of my scale so not sure being cheaper would really concern the better schools out there.
    go brentford.
    om