1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why am I still her?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by BelleDuJour, May 4, 2011.

1. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I've been a supply teacher for almost 4 years, and never out of work.
    In September I go back to a permanent post in a delightful inmdependent school.
    This term I'm on supply in a school in special measures.
    It is the worst school I've ever been in (and beleieve me, I;ve been in some **** holes!) Yesterday I was in tears over the blatant refusal to even sit in a seat by some year 8s. The defiance shown here is superceded only when they ignore you completely.
    There's an 'on call' system but no-one ever comes!
    Today I had a lovely year 7 lesson, then year 9 were so foul I had to walk out and take some time out.
    I don't want to be here. I've talked to my agency and they fully understand and support me. My husband says 'go'. But I'm not a quitter and SMT have persuaded me both yesterday and today to stay.
    Why do I let them persuade me to stay? I should be back home now. I don't need to do this. I don't have to put up with this insurgence.
    I am paid to teach but I can't teach.
    Am I a wimp to want to go, but too much of a wimp to do so?
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........rant over!

2. BelleDuJour

I've been a supply teacher for almost 4 years, and never out of work.
    In September I go back to a permanent post in a delightful inmdependent school.
    This term I'm on supply in a school in special measures.
    It is the worst school I've ever been in (and beleieve me, I;ve been in some **** holes!) Yesterday I was in tears over the blatant refusal to even sit in a seat by some year 8s. The defiance shown here is superceded only when they ignore you completely.
    There's an 'on call' system but no-one ever comes!
    Today I had a lovely year 7 lesson, then year 9 were so foul I had to walk out and take some time out.
    I don't want to be here. I've talked to my agency and they fully understand and support me. My husband says 'go'. But I'm not a quitter and SMT have persuaded me both yesterday and today to stay.
    Why do I let them persuade me to stay? I should be back home now. I don't need to do this. I don't have to put up with this insurgence.
    I am paid to teach but I can't teach.
    Am I a wimp to want to go, but too much of a wimp to do so?
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........rant over!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I suppose it depends;
    how much you need the income,
    whether you think staying will have a long-term effect on your ability to perform next Sept. in your new school
    & whether the 'better' children will lose out by your leaving.
    Only you can decide though.

4. BelleDuJour

I don't really.
    Not really. New school is so completely different but am more concerned if I stay it will have an effect on my home life and my health (guess I've just answered my question really)
    Yes, of course they will but, harsh as it may sound, that's not my problem.
    Sigh............

5. I do supply because my last full time post was a class, and school that the behaviour was so vile (I would have done ANYTHING for the head who was fantastic but being crapped on left right and centre by the powers from above) that it almost completely broke me.
    There is NEVER a time in the future where I will put my health as far on the line over that job for a bunch of (I'm being honest here - although there were some sweeties in the class and they're the ones my heart aches for - and the ones I probably pushed myself far too far for) little brats and vile parents who didn't appreciate anything as anywhere near enough. No way - no way at all - that class put me in a dark place I have no intention of returning to.
    As a consequence I've pulled out of a long term supply stint in the past (explained to the agency - they didn't have problems with it and helped me concoct an excuse for the school to allow me to back out on good terms) and I regularly turn down "hellhole" work. What's the point of being a free agent on supply without occasionally exercising that freedom?

6. BelleDuJour

Well, I went in today.
    Lesson 1 again, absolute defiance!
    Walked out.
    I quit!
    Home now, lovely hubby making me a cuppa. Will chill for a while then go commune with Mother Nature on my horse and count my (many) blessings!
    There's more to life than abuse.

7. Congratulations!!
    Don't look back. Enjoy the taste of freedom! xx

8. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

Don't blame you Belle. There's no use giving yourself a mental beating up, and that is really what it is, for the SMT. They must know what the classes are like and yet will feed another unsuspecting supply, quite happily, to the lions again today.
    You enjoy getting ready for your new role. [​IMG]
    Is it in Sec or Primary?

9. BelleDuJour

My new job is secondary.
    My agency have been brilliant. I called them from school this morning and htey told me to get out while my sanity is still intact and they have other work lined up for me.
    A couple of days to recover first though.

10. Some agencies are really good if you do walk out of a bad situation. I heard one teacher tell me of her days on supply, where the agency were so desperate to get staff prepared to go into a certain primary - they'd offer them three guaranteed days at an awesome school where the kids were fantastic as a pay off for them doing one day in hellhole school!
    Funnily the following day the agency rang me wanting me to go to Y6 in the aforementioned hellhole!

11. BelleDuJour

Well, I've now had a chilled day, been out on my horse and feeling so like I've done the right thing.
    I feel soo sorry for the permanent staff.....they all look so sad and exhausted.
    Spoken to Agency who are already working hard to find me work so I won't be on my butt for long!
    Some things aint worth the stress!