1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why all the 'fake' job adverts?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by jennybrice, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Forgive me if this question has already been answered but it concerns something that I just do not understand. Sites such as CV Library, Reed, Jobsite etc send about a dozen e-mails to me every day, each one listing several supposed 'vacancies'. Last year, when I was new to this 'game', meticulously I applied (online or in writing) for every position which was remotely 'do-able', nearly always without hearing anything more. Once or twice, I would get a call from an agency, expressing interest in my CV, although when I asked about the specific job for which I had applied, the agency either did not know anything about it, or told me that it was gone. Reading of other peoples' experiences on this site, I assume that these 'vacancies' are just trawls by agencies. As, years ago, I qualified as a nurse, I signed up to similar sites for health care jobs, only to find exactly the same set-up; generic sounding jobs, about which I heard nothing more.
    Being on JSA, I have to fill up my little book, once every fortnight, giving all the details of the jobs for which I have applied, showing that I have been looking at the Job Seekers' website. Once again, there are all these similar-sounding adverts for non-existant jobs. (In one way, these dummy adverts are useful, as they enable me to fill up my 'application record book' with minimal effort).
    I still do not understand the reasons for placing these endless adverts for non-existant jobs. I assume somebody is making a profit, but I do not see how. Agencies could use tham to trawl for teachers, whom could be signed up but, apart from the money charged for CRBs, what is to be gained by this? If there is next-to-no work, all the teachers signed up will not be able to work for them, making them any money.
    What is going

2. Forgive me if this question has already been answered but it concerns something that I just do not understand. Sites such as CV Library, Reed, Jobsite etc send about a dozen e-mails to me every day, each one listing several supposed 'vacancies'. Last year, when I was new to this 'game', meticulously I applied (online or in writing) for every position which was remotely 'do-able', nearly always without hearing anything more. Once or twice, I would get a call from an agency, expressing interest in my CV, although when I asked about the specific job for which I had applied, the agency either did not know anything about it, or told me that it was gone. Reading of other peoples' experiences on this site, I assume that these 'vacancies' are just trawls by agencies. As, years ago, I qualified as a nurse, I signed up to similar sites for health care jobs, only to find exactly the same set-up; generic sounding jobs, about which I heard nothing more.
    Being on JSA, I have to fill up my little book, once every fortnight, giving all the details of the jobs for which I have applied, showing that I have been looking at the Job Seekers' website. Once again, there are all these similar-sounding adverts for non-existant jobs. (In one way, these dummy adverts are useful, as they enable me to fill up my 'application record book' with minimal effort).
    I still do not understand the reasons for placing these endless adverts for non-existant jobs. I assume somebody is making a profit, but I do not see how. Agencies could use tham to trawl for teachers, whom could be signed up but, apart from the money charged for CRBs, what is to be gained by this? If there is next-to-no work, all the teachers signed up will not be able to work for them, making them any money.
    What is going

3. zippycfb

zippycfb New commenter

This is so frustrating isn' it? I too was presented with many 'vacancies' by jobcentre staff week in week out. At their persistence I finally started to enquire about some of them and as I had imagined they didn't exist. I told jobcentre staff that these vacancies were merely to lure teachers in and that they weren't actual jobs as I had contacted all the agencies individually. The agencies don't even pretend otherwise when you ring up and swiftly point out that there isn't an actual job. The jobcentre member of staff seemed genuinely shocked that they weren't real jobs and I don't think she believed me. Finally I convinced her and she vowed to get the vacancies taken off the site as she said it wasn't allowed, but a few months on the exact same vacancies are still there.

4. My jobcentre advisor was also shocked last time I had a "work-focused interview" (as I have a young child I'm currently on income support rather than JSA though this is due to change early summertime) - I told her I was in the process of registering for supply work as I was fed up applying and applying and waiting for a long-term job to materialise, and she gave me the details of some other supply agencies to sign up to, and I told her I couldn't afford to at present as I'd only just scraped together enough money for the one CRB check. She was absolutely shocked that I had to pay for my own CRB clearance when I was on income support. She said that the jobcentre used to pay for them, then the responsibility shifted to the agencies - she wasn't aware the agencies had since shunted it on to the unemployed (and therefore probably financially challenged) teacher.
    She also showed me the "false" jobs on the Jobcentre website and actually acknowledged that a lot of them would either already be taken or not be an actual job, they were just generic listings made to sound like something else by supply agencies.

5. i found this the other year and when i said it to the job centre they said they were unaware of it and were going to look in to it, i found agencies were advertinsing on the job centre website and they either put you on books and never had any work or took details and never contacted you back and yet the job centre did not understand why you could not get work

6. crusell

crusell New commenter

As you are a nurse jenny, you are ideally qualified to assess nvq health and social care, Have you thought of this?
    You may be lucky to find an employer who will pay for your assessment qualification.Join linkedin and join the nvq assessors looking for work group also google nvqjobs. Hope this helps.

7. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I agree with the OP. Jobcentres seem totally unaware that these jobs are bogus.
    Makes me so angry!

8. I have my third six-week interview on Monday morning. I'm getting to know my consultant person quite well.
    I don't need to provide evidence of what I've been doing to find work yet, but for Monday I will be taking along evidence of all the agencies I have tried to contact about jobs on both the JobCentre website and Reed's website. I have now responded to FIFTEEN of these sod-ding adverts and heard absolutely nothing back.
    Fortunately the person I see is very sympathetic and knows what agencies are like. I have tried to join three other agencies apart from the three I am with now, although I am dropping one of those as they have lied to me twice since November.
    I will be making a few phone calls on Monday to try again to join Connex and P+K in Leeds, and to see if Principal Resourcing actually want me on their books any more.

9. Fifteen years ago, I used to teach GNVQ H&SC, for which I had to gain the D33 & 34 certificates (interanl and external verifier). I have tried to find work as an assessor, having approached many agencies and training bodies, but without success. It seems that this area is just as overcrowded with people seeking work as ny other in education.

10. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

It took me a long time to work out the workings of an agency. I also repeatedly applied for jobs advertised by agents. I mainly got calls back from the agents requesting me to register with them. Stupidly I did and eventually it ****** alot of my referees off. Majority of the jobs didn't exist and it was just about getting my CV. I eventually realised why agents do this. They need CV's to market themselves to prospective schools. Having a number of candidates available in areas local to schools they work with increases their sales patter. Also it gives the impression to job seekers that they are a successful agency with a number of jobs available. Consultants are fast movers and generally will submit CV's within the hour regardless of any prior checks being done in advance. Agents that say they need to register in advance are lying as I have been to many job interviews without even meeting the agency. I learnt this the hard way and became frustrated when I saw vacancies with agents I was already registered with not submitting my application to jobs I saw advertised. What surprises me the most is these agencies are hardly going bust due to the public sector cut backs. Another issue with agents is oversea staff seem to get the work rather than British trained teachers. This really winds me up as I'm a good teacher who chose to supply for professional development and have been mainly unemployed because of the way agents operate.

11. guinnesspuss

guinnesspuss Star commenter

I'm starting to delete e-mails sent from some jobsites without looking at them because 1 agency (that tried to join me up a few months ago) are the only job agency advertising in the education sector.
    Incidentally does anyone know anything about TeacherActive?
    I had the same thing with the Job Centre too. They say it isn't allowed to have 'fishing' adverts, but nothing's done.

12. Teacher Active is much the same as Reed or CV Library; they advertise 'vaancies' in schools, most of which are out of date, or do not exist. Specific schools are mentioned but when you look at the website, there is no mention of the vacancy. Usual con.

13. Lies, lies, lies and more lies...guiltless psychopaths who cause further misery!!!!!! !!![​IMG]

14. stan-dards

stan-dards New commenter

Do the agencies get paid if you go to one of the job interviews they set up but you dont get the job?