1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Why afe the spammers not pre-moderated?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by emerald52, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Ok I'm not the most IT literate person but please explain why they can do this? You only have to look at the names of who's online to spot the spammer. I thought we had pre moderation.

2. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I don't think we do have pre moderation for new posters anymore.

3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Thanks. That will be why we are being targetted then. What is the point of spamming ? Can't see what it achieves.

4. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

Perhaps it would be a good idea to reintroduce it for a week or so. However, having been pre-moderated, I do realise that it is very off-putting for genuine new posters

cissy3, Lara mfl 05 and emerald52 like this.
  5. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

It does seem to be a particularly pointless thing to do. Really annoying too :mad:

emerald52 likes this.
  6. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hi,

We are testing pre-moderation and hope to restore it to the forums soon.

Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused.

In the meantime, we are still working on measures to stop the spam flooding the forums. Please bear with us while we try to resolve this issue.

7. TES_Rosaline

If you see any new spam posts/threads please can you report it?

Thank you.

8. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

On to it :)

9. TES_Rosaline

10. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

What's the best way of reporting?

11. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Look at your post, there is a "report" at the bottom of it.

12. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Has anyone translated the messages - it could be that they are using TES to communicate a message. Especially as it is mainly on personnel and primary - similar names ?

13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

There's a little job for you then ;).

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I did. It read:

"Listen very carefully, I shall say 'zis only once! The purple goose flies at midnight to Pyongyang"

15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

As a marketing exercise, TES might want to consider setting up a new site called TES Korea, which may help attract more attention from the spammers. Korean visitors to that site may be able to read the spam, but UK advertisers probably won't. Net result could be positive.

16. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

I would say welcome to the forum, but you have a real attitude problem. Perhaps you think that you have some sort of personal entitlement to share your opinions with us, and that we cannot possible exist without them. Have you considered that maybe they were right to ban you?

Lascarina likes this.
  17. dmorgantini

dmorgantini Guest

As far as spam goes, the spammers are posting in order to get the search bots that constantly crawl the internet to increase the search ratings of their websites. They are not trying to sell you anything directly as it would be completely pointless as this is a English website and the spammers are Korean. There are a variety of techniques that can be used to combat spam - including pre-moderation. Unfortunately almost all these techniques come with a side effect of potentially impacting legitimate users. We need to strike a balance between spam prevention and user experience. Please rest assured that we have several initiatives in play that will assist with this problem. I again want to thank you all for your patience and understanding while we work through these issues.

marlin and Lascarina like this.
  18. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I did again today
    Seemed to be online gaming this time. It is extremely unlikely that they are traditional spammers and are doing this to disrupt rather than advertise
    edit to note crossed posts with technical bod

19. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Pre-moderation is returning. Good.

It's not only the spammers who make a complete nuisance of themselves, it's the socks of former posters who for one reason or another decide to create numerous annoying presences on the site.

One of them merely uses this handy system to add likes to unlikely and unpleasant posts. What he gets out of behaving in such an infantile way baffles me. He was once fun and decent.

monicabilongame and Scintillant like this.
  20. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

This sort of response is distinctly unhelpful. You appear to have a chip on your shoulder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.