1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Whose idea was the (flippin) fairy door?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 6, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

My class are now desperate for me to open the said door...it doesn't open it is a model!

We have imagined what might be behind it. Drawn maps in maths on square grids, visited the imaginary land and moved about (also maths) and sorted items that might be in there. We have also written a description of the place and characters we think might be there.

Was going to write a letter today to the creatures that live behind the door asking for clues, but didn't get round to it. I thought I might just have a letter waiting on Monday from 'behind the door'. Does that sound good? Need to lead into Hansel and Gretel really fairly soon.

2. greta444

greta444 New commenter

If you're doing Hansel and Gretel, have you got access to woods. We acted out the story in the woods, followed a trail of breadcrumbs (set down by TA) Met the witch (again, said TA dressed up) and made a cage for Hansel from sticks. Lots of other possibilities. Was very good fun.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Goodness...I don't know. But what a good idea.

Might have to ask people who do live around the area of school...

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't know if this is a good idea or not.
    What about having the letters H A N S E L (in one colour) and G R E T E L ( in another colour) hidden round the classroom and the class have to work out the names of the people behind the door-anagram style. You could then brainstorm what they think the characters look like and build up a 'photo-fit' picture?

5. Could your letter tell your class about how the little creatures ventured out of their door at the dead of night, only to find twins asleep under a tree. They covered them with leaves, but didn't know what happened to them after that as they disappeared!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errrmmmm...yes. Wouldn't like to suggest they are the best ever. I might put them on here instead, can't stand those threads that turn into a list of email addys.

Love the ideas thank you all. Yes the creatures definitely only come out in the middle of the night we have talked about what they might do in our room already. Definitely going to do the writing notes thing (they can write replies at the writing table in independent writing time), tiny writing might encourage the less neat writers to shrink theirs.

And another door that appears in the head's office might win me much needed brownie points for exciting lessons as well. Definitely going to plan a stand alone maths lesson that involves going hunting for treasure or another door, that they can do on a day when the head doesn't mind 4 interruptions in an hour or so.

Brilliant people...thank you all so much!

Right off to investigate how I put things on resources, can't be that hard!

7. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Thanks minnieminx. I love all these ideas too. Please could you post a link once you have put your resources in the resource bank.

8. Msz

Msz Established commenter

When I first used my fairy door I left tiny shiny foot prints across a table and trolley near the door for the children to discover when they came to school.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/Fairy-Door-Maths-6162531/

But it can take up to an hour for it to be approved or some such. I called it 'Fairy Door Maths' if the link doesn't work.

Oooooooo.... Good thing I have a TA who is fab at that sort of thing!

10. helskie26

helskie26 New commenter

Msz- that sounds lovely. what did you use to make your footprints with?

11. Msz

[​IMG]Cake glitter because it is very fine and stays in place better than normal glitter cut tiny prints in a sheet of paper and use as a stencil

12. Minnieminx - you have mail in your inbox.

13. Msz

I've just ordered my freshly caught draig ... I'm so happy [​IMG]

14. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Year 6, who come to my room on Monday's for maths masterclass, have decided Hansel and Gretel are far too well behaved when they come into the room in the night time.

Sooooo...

Next Monday, they are going to 'change' some things in the classroom as 'acts of 'mischief' for H&G's last visit to us. Things like, turning odd bits of display upside down, putting all the cushions on to chairs, turning all the books on the shelf back to front, etc.

Honestly! This creative teaching lark is just too much fun...what was wrong with 'sit down, shut up and just write' literacy lessons?!

Loving it really and thank you again to the posters who told me all about fairy doors and using Hansel and Gretel. This term has been fabulous and the children have produced some excellent work.

15. Glad it's been going so well. It's lovely when they are really enjoying their learning and you're enjoying it too!

16. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

Wow what a motivating post. Thank you everyone.We were only talking about fairy door yesterday in the staff room. I had thought of using something similar lesson but might have a rethink and change my planning. Borrowing question l know, but where do you get hold of the fairy doors. I did google and found some on Amazon and ebay. Any other ideas ? Thank you.
    Already feeling quite excited.

17. Msz

18. Wow this is such a great idea! Can I ask what age group(s) you all use it with?

19. I have used it with Year 2, but I think it could work with older ones too.

20. rosieandjim

rosieandjim New commenter

Thank you very much. Can't wait to get started.