1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who's working this week?

Discussion in 'English' started by mediadave, Feb 14, 2012.

1. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

Raise your hands!
    Lots of controlled assessment and 6th form planning to do here, not to mention getting my head around the rest of the GCSE Literature course (new spec, first cohort). zzz

2. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

Me.
    Finishing GCSE marking.
    Marking year 10 and 11 CAs - 66 of those
    Marking year 12 and 13 coursework drafts - 50 of those
    Plus normal marking and planning.

3. Assignment for uni and a job hunt.

4. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Me! Revamping, or rather starting from scratch, the spelling SoW for year 5. I'm up to my eyes in Support for Spelling, Spelling Bank pages, various spelling books, spelling lists and endless worksheets/activities/weblinks/PPTs etc. Pleased with progress though. [​IMG]

5. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

Two schemes of work; planning for first week back; year 12 and 13 marking; year 10 books to mark; long term planning overhaul for Y8 and 9; resources for new schemes of work; assessments to plan and application!
    Fairly typical half-term! [​IMG]

6. y9840125

y9840125 Occasional commenter

Schemes of work for years 7-11, Year 10 Controlled Assessment marking, all exercise books marked, year 11 timed assessment marked, year 11 resits to organise, display to put up...also starting an open university course.
    I seem to work every holiday.

7. sleepyhead

sleepyhead New commenter

This is where you're going wrong. They're not "holidays"; they're "working from home weeks"

8. EmmaBB

EmmaBB New commenter

Me. 119 books to mark. Lesson planning. KS3 tracker to completely overhaul. Along with another huge list of things I don't even want to think about in the hope that they will just disappear.

9. With all my classes being split, I've got most of my planning completed until Easter! So, this week will see the poetry to go with the Shakespeare (Y10 CA) to plan, half a term for one of myY11 groups, Some Y13 planning to do and some marking. Quite manageable. Been working for four or five hours a day. Looking at Friday/Saturday off. Feeling a bit more chilled and relaxed. Drunk more coffee than usual and, strangely, for the holidays, wine intake has increased.

10. 4 hours of year 11 intervention in school. Re-vamping KS3 schemes of work and implementing literacy lessons and starters. Marking Shakespeare CA essays (which are making me pretty depressed!). Planning for Monday and Tuesday. Marking 2 sets of books. Marking y9 exam papers. Re-organising year 8 sets for intervention lessons. Writing a report for ITT student.
    Pretty heavy but I don't usually class half-term hols as hols, more like 'I don't have to get up at 6.30 or teach big groups of kids this week' weeks!

11. I think if 'friends' make fatuous comments about half terms being holidays, I usually rant at them and make sure they are disabused of the notion. I once did it on a train (not rant, though). It was in my NQT year and I was reading the paper, as usual on the train to work - difficult line to actually mark books on as it was too bouncy a journey - and the commuters got on and sat in their usual seats. At the next stop, the usual horde of students got on the train and one of the commuters remarked to a friend he was sat with that he thought it was the holidays and that teachers got too many holiday nowadays etc. (I'll add he didn't know what I did) I moved my head around my paper and told him that out of the two calendar weeks (it was Christmas approaching), I was getting seven working days when you excluded bank holidays and weekends and of that seven days, two were going to be spent in school and three planning. I asked if having two days off was really too much to ask. Not another word from that group of passengers until I got off the train.

12. mkm

mkm New commenter

Good for you! This was a good one, said by a neighbour at the end of the summer: 'Back to school next week?' To which I replied somewhat jovially, 'Yes, I'm afraid so.' 'Six weeks not long enough for some people then?' said he sarcastically. Grrr... I then launched into a speech about how during those five and a bit weeks I'd had so much work that I even took my marking on holiday with me! I think he was just a little surprised to get my all guns blazing reply, but if we don't disavow people of this ridiculous notion of all these holidays, they'll assume it's true.

13. millicent_bystander

millicent_bystander New commenter

The only time I've managed a completely work free half-term was the year we got married and the February half-term was our honeymoon. I had to work 24/7 to make it happen and it's never happened since!
    'Working from home weeks' should be the new official term for teachers' 'holidays', but there'll still be some smarty drawers that thinks we start work at 9, finish at 3 and have 13 weeks off per year!