1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Who's the oldest surviving person in your extended family?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by magic surf bus, Mar 14, 2019.

1. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

In a moment of idle speculation it occured to me that I've been the oldest person in our extended family since the age of 52, when my Mum passed away. With the exception of my Great-Great-Grandad, who survived into his late 80s (died c.1917), our family has a poor track record of surviving their 70s.

The net result is that since my early 50s I've had no family members with whom I could chat about family history or the olden days. Small wonder that I value such conversations with complete strangers of the older generation whenever I meet them. Being isolated from one's family history is an odd feeling, so be sure to get chatting with those surviving oldsters before it's too late.

2. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

My mother in law is 94 and still living alone, walking to the local shop and library bus and getting into her local town on the bus. She still cooks for herself and does her garden. She reluctantly agreed last year to have a cleaner once a fortnight. She was a primary school teacher until age 65.

3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

That'll be me since my Dad died in 2017. Sorting through old photos and stuff (like laminated receipts) that he'd kept, I wished I'd been able to ask about their significance. He did have a cousin in his 80s that my sister keeps in touch with but I don't really know him and he wasn't all that close to my Dad.

magic surf bus and agathamorse like this.
  4. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Reading your post made me think, @magic surf bus. Since my mother-in-law died, a few years ago, I am the oldest member of my extended family, as far as I know. My mother and father had brothers and sisters but i am not in contact with any family that the might have.

5. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

I have a second cousin who is 82 I think. We have had lots of long livers but since my auntie died at 96 ish, ( the last of her genenration) the average age has dropped.

6. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are very few of my extended family left. My grandma recently passed away at aged 99. My Dad's side of the family - very few of them made it past 60.

7. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Aunty Mary's 86. Her cousins are 82 and 84. On my father's side I have 3 cousins in their mid to late 70s.
    My own parents died at 69 and 70.

magic surf bus likes this.
  8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

My husband's auntie was 96 yesterday. She has given us loads of family information and spent months (a few years ago) annotating all her photographs so that we'd know who was on them.
    My parents are 93 and 89.

9. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

My Dad is 89 and my Mum 85. My Grandad was 98 when he died and my Nanna 101. On my Mum's side, they tend to die earlier - in their eighties.
    I am lucky to have good genes on both sides.

10. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

My dad is 90 and he is our oldest family member. He still drives locally and does his garden, housework, cooking etc. Last year him and my mum went to Majorca for their 2 week holiday and they are hoping to get another holiday in this year but the problem is finding a gap between hospital appointments for his ailments! He gets a bit down at times especially in the winter months. His brother died last year and many of his friends have now died but he plods on.

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Grandmother in-law is 106, but in a care home and not very sentient, which is a shame as she was still tending her garden 10 years ago.

5 Generations can be mustered for photos!

On my side though we only go up one☹️

12. shake_ya_thang

shake_ya_thang New commenter

My grandmother is 94 and still very much living independently, her aunt is still alive (would be my great aunt?) who are 108 and living in sheltered accommodation, her identical twin sister died back in 2015 aged 104!

13. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Lead commenter

Gosh you lot have great genes!
    I'm doomed and so is Mr Aqua (his mother was 50 when she died, his father 68). :eek:
    Better cram as much living into the next 7 yrs as possible!

14. sannas

sannas Occasional commenter

My gran will be 97 in a few weeks, lived independently until 91, she broke her hip a couple of years ago which has impacted on her mobility. My Great Aunt died a few weeks ago so my Gran is the last of her generation left in the family.

15. senlady

senlady Senior commenter

Currently my father - only 74.

16. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

My father at 72.

17. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Same

18. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Since the death of my Mother (at 93) in 2015, I think the oldest is a second cousin who is 83 later this year.

19. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

My Dad who is 90. He gave up driving the week before his 90th. Then my uncle at 89 and my mum at 86. I have an uncle in his 70s and then my bro and I are in our 60s. I am not as fit as my parents were at my age so am not expecting the same longevity.

20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

My mother in law is 92. Her hip gives her a lot of trouble and she can't have a replacement because her leg is full of metal from a previous break. But she still lives on her own, does what she can and gets other people to help her with what she can't . She's awesome. My dad is 89 and in a care home with dementia, but physically pretty good.