1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who's stuffing your turkey this Christmas?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Johnny_Bluenote, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Johnny_Bluenote

Johnny_Bluenote Occasional commenter

This question is specifically aimed at the ladies - especially those ladies who may be sharing Christmas with a partner for the first time. Will your man shoulder his responsibilities re the Christmas turkey?

Call me chauvinist if you like but I am firmly of the opinion that it should be the man who both stuffs and carves the Christmas turkey.

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Don't know about chauvinist.

Just two points in my case:
    1 we hate turkey and always have beef
    2 we're gay women - the only male at the table will be my grandson. Now, he's 7 and though quite handy with a knife, he won't be doing any carving.

sabrinakat and midnight_angel like this.
  3. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I'm unattached to any male person so I do the stuffing and carving myself. Even when I was attached I did it because, frankly, he was useless at it.

4. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Nobody
    I'm not having a turkey

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Me........mostly.
    I crown it, stuff it, cook it, and Mr Belle carves it.
    This year we are doing our 'Christmas Day' on 20th, as various step offspring and offspring in other places on 25th. We've done this before and it's really rather good. We then chill out until 25th when Mr Belle, Belle Junior and I off to our fave restaurant on Christmas Day where we will not be eating turkey.

6. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Oh "what a mess" said What a Mess. Still all good if you like. I am having a posh dinner on Xmas Eve and then a feast of nibbles including devils on horseback, various cheeses and chestnut roasting on an open fire. Maybe a few sausages, and maybe a fried egg Boxing Day morning.

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Not huevos rancheros?

BelleDuJour likes this.
  8. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

We won't be having turkey either. Haven't a clue what we'll be having, ask me on the 24th :)

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have always..... got up at silly o'clock to put a large bird on the oven and to stuff its relevant areas. The one thing my children praise me on is the Christmas stuffing I make. I always prepare the meal. cook and serve.carve it, The ex never helped at all. Mr REMfan volunteers but am afraid...... to instruct is sometimes more effort an doing it oneself. Yes .... I am a control freak.

However last year was a whole lot easier when my younger girl helped out.... she was smashing and I find myself hoping she will do likewise this year.

I have learned that one must do more the day before.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Going to pitch this to the wife later...

Have tried her recipes in the past and yet to fail.

11. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I usually cook Christmas dinner with my daughter, we work well together. My husband is vegetarian and her husband is working at Christmas this year so they're out although I could ask my brother in law. I think we'll manage though.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I have never been that lucky.
    The kids always got up too early ;)

HelenREMfan likes this.
  13. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

***. Isn't it enough to cook something on the actual day without bu g gering up the day before as well?

14. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

My mum stuffs, my dad carves.

15. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

No idea. I'm going abroad and eating out.

Lascarina and RedQuilt like this.
  16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

That sounds very civilised :).

ilovesooty likes this.
  17. bluelemonade

bluelemonade Occasional commenter

Me too, Bob the builder................

18. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

@RedQuilt it certainly is. Cheaper than the UK and no need to book.

Lascarina and RedQuilt like this.
  19. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Gosh, is he taking you as well as felltoground? He must be a glutton for punishment.

20. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Hotel for Christmas as visiting MIL in Ireland. Hotel decided after the infamous Kilkenny Christmas debacle of 2009 and the even worse 'we travelled all the way to America and got stuck in a blizzard with an almost 2 year old' Christmas 2013 fiasco'.