1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who's next in line on the throne?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by robyn147, May 31, 2012.

1. Discussing the Queen and the Monarchy (which as a republican I find difficult but I kept my opinion to myself). We watched the Coronation which was interesting. Then we discussed who was next in line.
    "Prince .... Charming"
    Well I'm sure Charles can be charming.
    Was a bit worried when they thought Henry VIII was the Queen's dad.[​IMG] Think some work on timelines is needed.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Discussing the Queen and the Monarchy (which as a republican I find difficult but I kept my opinion to myself). We watched the Coronation which was interesting. Then we discussed who was next in line.
    "Prince .... Charming"
    Well I'm sure Charles can be charming.
    Was a bit worried when they thought Henry VIII was the Queen's dad.[​IMG] Think some work on timelines is needed.

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

On that note, was the queen mother called Elizabeth? Was discussing why our queen is Elizabeth II today with my y1s, and some knew it was cos she was the second queen called Elizabeth. I said that was during Tudor times (ish), and we learned about them a few weeks ago. Then Someone asks what was the queens mum called, I say Elizabeth, cue many confused children that a) the queen has the same name as her mum and b) the queens mother was called Elizabeth, married to a king (and therefore a queen? ) but not the same queen Elizabeth the first we'd just talked about!!!

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL The Queen Mother wasn't officially a queen and so ours is the second. This jubilee is opening up all kinds of questions in my class!

My class asked who was the first ever King or Queen of England. I said King C n u t (whose name is sooo not rude TES!) was generally considered the first. They then asked who was the second and I had to say I didn't have a clue.

One of my lovely 'lads', when we were talking about heirs to the throne, asked "What happens if someone dies without getting their go?" TA and I both smiled and said we thought Prince Charles may well end up doing just that! Loved his phrase though.

A group of girls were choosing role play as an activity. I'd been off working with some others and went over to them only for one child to say, in a very shocked and disgusted manner "Miss Minnie! XXXX said that babies come out of your private parts!" No idea what to say, so just chickened out and said "Did she? What are you playing?" XXX then said she was playing at being the Queen giving birth to Princess Anne... I just gulped and smiled and said 'okaaaayyy' and went to find another group. A visitor observing my TA working with another child was in hysterics!

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Well, I was told by a Y5 child that in a colleague's assembly there was a photo of The Queen on the IWB. This is the conversation we had:
    "It was wrong, she looked all wrong! Her hair was brown and she didn't have any wrinkles!"
    "So...do you think it might have been a photo from the time of the coronation?"
    "Eh?"
    "Well, the coronation was 60 years ago, she was a young woman."
    "Eh?"
    "Er, do you think The Queen has always looked like she does now?"
    "Yeah of course, she's The Queen, innit!"
    "..........."

6. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I know this is a jovial thread, but please don't tell children Canute was the first King of England. I love Kings and Queens (and history in general) and hate to see it told so greatly wrong.

7. It might be helpful to tell us who was...

8. Milgod

Athelstan is considered to be the first. Some might say Edgar. Some might make a case for Alfred or Egbert.
    However, I think it probably best to take about the line of monarchs from the Norman Conquest.
    Canute was the first Danish king of England and was especially cool.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I thought it was interesting that no one had heard of Diana - my class were not even thought of when she died.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did tell them he was Danish and is considered by some to be the first king. I did also mention the lovely William as another kind some people think of as the first because he invaded, conquered and changed much of the country.

11. "William, William, Henry, Stephen, Henry, Richard, John...Oy!"
    Don't any of you watch Horrible Histories?!

12. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

one of my angels wrote that the queen had been on the phone for 60 years. he spelt phone right :D
    mr s wanted to know if she'd asked the billpayer's permission.

13. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

My colleague had one today who was concerned about the fact that in one picture of the queen she wasn't actually ON the throne. He (actually understandably) thought she'd literally been sitting on a throne continuously for 60 years.

14. What about Offa of Mercia? wildly recognised as 1st king of England!

15. Milgod

Does the 'of Merica' not give you a clue?[​IMG]
    Honestly though, I don't know many in history circles that would consider Offa the first King of England - or even King of England at any point.
    Powerful for sure, certainly the most powerful before the House of Egbert came into their own, but not King of England. Unless I guess you are from Mercia.

16. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Go Athelstan! He lived in my village, or at least had a court here, so we style ourselves the ancient capital of England (but only when talking to people who know no history at all!). Oddly, the local schools, one of which has his name, teach almost no local history in spite of our illustious connections. It seems such a wasted opportunity.

17. read my post again milgod - i didnt say widely i said wildly - there are some sources to say he regarded himself as king of the angles
    Do you know which king used the title 'King of England' first?

18. P.S. Offa of Mercia means that he was from Mercia - not king of it - even though he was.

19. Milgod

Which is why I had a tongue out smilie attached. [​IMG]
    Athelstan called himself King of the English. Alfred (and I think Egbert) used King of the Anglo-Saxons.
    It wasn't until Henry Curtmantle (Henry II) that King of England was used.
    Of course, as I am from Bath I will make a case for Edgar. He made the country stronger and more unfied than it had ever been before.
    There are loads of Monarchs who helped develop the King of England into one of the most powerful in Europe, and all deserve credit. I do think it makes sense to look at 1066 as an easy cut-off point, at least for teaching in Primary schools.

20. Milgod

Also, just to add another thing about Offa. He didn't care about the people or country IMO. He was power hungry and couldn't have cared less if he united anyone.
    Then again, that could be my Wessex bias coming through again.