1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who’s enjoying Wimbledon?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sundaytrekker, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

strawbs likes this.
  2. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Indeed. That the defeat, in the final of a grand slam, of a 37 year old woman who gave birth less than two years ago and who has hardly played so far this year is considered a shock, speaks volumes about Serena Williams and her amazing talent.

emerald52 likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Something she plays on at every opportunity. 'I am doing this for the mothers out there!'

Give me a break.

As for it indicating how great she is, I have just received a warning from the BBC and full censorship/removal of my post on their website which simply said

'this is more an indicator of how bad the women's game is, that a slow, overweight and not very mobile player is still there or thereabouts. Halep today showed what we all know - make WIlliams move and she throws in the towel'.

That post was taken down in less than 3 minutes.

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It certainly seemed as though Serena either let the potential occasion get to her, or she is very short of match practice, or she just can’t do it any more.

5. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Williams has been slow for a while. What she lacks in mobility she makes up for with brute force. On this occasion Halep was so strong on the return and so mobile Williams had to engage in rallies which is her weakness.

6. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

Wow what a doubles match. Mahut of course no stranger to long matches.
    Roll on tomorrow.

7. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

This final looks to be going to be a good battle. I’d like to see Federer win.

emerald52 and ilovesooty like this.
  8. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Wow! What a thriller!

EmanuelShadrack and ilovesooty like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Painful loss for Federer, one that could bring forward his retirement.

Incredible match though. Seems like Ofsted were involved in organising sports this weekend though, as I was having to switch between Formula 1, tennis and cricket all afternoon.

If you thought the tennis was tense, the cricket was beyond silly!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  10. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

I wanted Federer to win too. And he was serving for the match in that final set... It was painful for me aswell.

I was only switching between the tennis and the cricket. I had the tennis on live-recording, with a delay, so I could fast forward through all the nonsense, and replay the points at my leisure.

Yes, if someone had written the script for the cricket, it would have been rejected on the grounds of not being at all believable. The four extra runs from the "overthrow" onto Stokes' bat - I've never seen that before. And the "six" that was caught, and then the chap stepped back... Oops, I'm diverting the thread.

minnie me likes this.
  11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Ah I felt for the French team . The Columbians super aggressive and shots at the net I think not entirely in the spirit of the game? No one really commented on that ? I hope their reign @ no 1 is short lived

ilovesooty likes this.
  12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

It must have been really painful for Federer. It will be hard for him to forget those lost Championship points.

13. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

I started the match wanting Djokovic to win, but by the end I wanted to rewrite the rules and call it a draw! Brilliant match.