1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who’s enjoying Wimbledon?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sundaytrekker, Jul 5, 2019.

1. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I like both Federer and Nadal but Federer for me has real grace. I hope he wins - it's Djokovic whose tennis bores me.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  2. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Watching the game, and finding it disarming to see such an auspicious match played by a certain somebody
    [​IMG]

who looks so much like a certain somebody else
    [​IMG]

Ready for service?

mothorchid likes this.
  3. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Man, that was a brilliant game - the highly skilled Federer against the ultra dogged Nadal.

One moment of madness there, Federer calling a review on a shot had he been quiet about, would have given him match point. He was wrong and lost the point...only to win the next and therefore have the mental turmoil of knowing had he been quiet, he would have won the match!

This seemed to give Nadal an extra 30% as he knew Federer must be inwardly going nuts. so the last service game for Federer was almost like a Hollywood script with its rollercoaster end.

Marvellous entertainment.

4. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Wow what a match. So many twists and turns.

I think the commentator at one point said "Championship Point" instead of "Match Point", If so, it was an understandable mistake.

emerald52 and Sundaytrekker like this.
  5. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Yes, probably will be the best match. Hard to better.

mothorchid and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  6. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I try not to listen to the commentary as it either glorifies Nadal (and Federer) or is ridiculously banal.

At one point the cameras zoomed in on a girl wearing diamond shaped sunglasses. What did Boris Becker say?

'Sunglasses'.

Two elite athletes giving their all and ready to die out there and we get.....'sunglasses'. And Boris gets what, half a million for his so called commentary?

Just give me the option please to remove the commentary.

Or better still pay me 'just' 100k to say 'sunglasses' and every second 'Nadal is incredible!!!' or 'Federer is incredible!'

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  7. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm backing federer, I think he's looking in great shape.

8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Agreed. I often watch with the sound down. What irks me the most, and I've mentioned this on other threads, is the NON-REPLAY of the point afterwards. (Yes, I used capitals there, which is rather out of character for me.) Instead the BBC will focus on someone from the crowd, or on the player wiping themselves down with a towel. SHOW THE POINT AGAIN. When the tennis is a joy to behold, with exquisite volleys and near-impossible returns, it warrants a repeat viewing. At times I've recorded the tennis "live", and then watched a few minutes behind, so as to fast-forward through the nonsense.

In the golden olden days the BBC would replay every point, as far as I can remember. It filled the gap between points perfectly.

emerald52 and dumpty like this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

If that is the case, you should like tennis.

10. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They had lower camera angles for women's tennis matches.

11. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Well done, Halep. Was anyone expecting her to win the first set? Serena is looking slow in comparison. Come on, Serena.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

@dumpty "Just give me the option please to remove the commentary."
    Somewhere on the TV remote will be a volume button. Also a mute button. Either of these will remove the commentary for you.
    Happy to help - no need to thank me!;)

emerald52 likes this.
  13. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Didn’t expect Serena to struggle. Halep’s on fire.

emerald52 likes this.
  14. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Wow. That wasn’t in the script. Halep didn’t let Serena into the match at all. Well deserved.

emerald52 likes this.
  15. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

I wonder if that reporter turns up at the press conference and says “as someone who wants to go on from here and win another grand slam” to Serena?

emerald52 likes this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

:p Nah, it used to be the BBC would offer you to chance to remove the commentary but keep the crowd noise. I can only think their data showed too many were doing this as it has not been offered since?

Women's final was beyond dire.

Williams has choked too,one journalist was brave enough to say this recently and nearly got lynched.

Since being within one slam of equalling Margaret Court's record she has consistently been awful, truly awful when it really mattered (the final).

In her defence a little the fact so many female seeds likewise disappointed, meant this was the first time in the entire tournament she was up against a top ten player.

That cannot be easy for anyone.

emerald52 likes this.
  17. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Lovely speeches from both ladies. Well deserved win.

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  18. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Lead commenter

Halep was amazing to watch!

Sundaytrekker and emerald52 like this.
  19. blue451

blue451 Lead commenter

Barker (in dismissive tone) to Halep "I know you've won the French Open but coming here, with all the history of it, it's so much more isnt it?"

Crass, crass, BBC.

Patronising and trite throughout the fortnight, surpassing themselves today.

20. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Just watched recording without knowing result
    Fab performances by Halep. Took the fight to Serana who can no longer play rallies.
    Her speech made me teary. Love her.