1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who’s enjoying Wimbledon?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sundaytrekker, Jul 5, 2019.

1. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

We’ve got Centre Court tickets for Thursday: women’s semifinals. Never been before and am really looking forward to it.

knitone and emerald52 like this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

But what a pleasure to be able to watch some women's tennis without all the grunting and screaming!

(Them, I mean - not me... :rolleyes:)

3. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Bad day @ the office for Konta - it happens .......but after having played so well ( against ‘ bigger ‘ players ) ?! ....

chelsea2 likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Agree 100% . Those commentators don’t draw breath and yes some of the officials are attempting to wear clothes which don’t fit .... not great for such a prestigious tournament

silkywave likes this.
  5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Dearie dearie me :(

6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Konta looked terribly one-dimensional. The lack of a serve-volley option cost her big time.

7. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Have a lovely day! We went for the first time last year and it was great. We had No1 court seats and also queued for Centre Court resale tickets later on for £15! Had a brilliant afternoon tea in the centre court building- no queue if you go before the end of a big match.

smoothnewt likes this.
  8. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

She choked, got stroppy and threw in the towel.

9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

The Serena & Murray (Murena!) match was awesome! Serena Williams is just the greatest. How many times did she get Andy by the scruff of the neck and drag his sorry behind through the games? Her serving and return of serve was brilliant, and her reflexes for a big woman are lightning. They've got the no. 1 seeds next. They will have the fight of their lives on their hands!

emerald52 likes this.
  10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

This is true but remember having a partner who blocks half the court to opponents' shots means her absolute problem areas ( slow, terrible movement) are negated fully.

Still, it is difficult to see how the woman who beat Konta will have much of a chance against her. Williams only loses to players that move her around consistently and who can hit close to the lines consistently.

There are so, so few in the female game who can do this.(Hence why an old, slow and overweight BUT very, very powerful hitting player still dominates their game)

11. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I watched the Konta interview. It would be so refreshing if she just changed her tack when answering the press . Probably a better way of requesting a response re future grand slams but she is very quick to feel aggrieved... and the ‘ ‘I ‘ve always been straight with you guys’ ) -how I hate that phrase! ) - or words to that effect as if appealing to their better nature - very bizarre. I don’t think it was bullying (default phrase ).

12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

These interviews are inevitably the usual cliche. The players get fined if they don't co-operate and take part. Under the circumstances of yesterday, I was OK with her dealing with the hack who "patronized" her.

emerald52 likes this.
  13. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

It was similar to the sort of observation comments teachers get from those no longer at the daily chalkface.

knitone likes this.
  14. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Enjoyed both women’s semi-finals in sweltering heat today. Halep and Serena were both the stronger players in their matches.

I loved the fact you could hear birdsong (goldfinches) during moments of silence . Loved it when a wagtail flew onto the court and looked like it was there for the duration until a ball boy chased it off.

Plenty of celebs in the royal box. My favourite moment was when I saw Dame Maggie Smith tap the Duchess of Kent on the shoulder and ask her to remove her (wide-brimmed) hat. The duchess gave a look as though to say “some people...”.

LondonCanary likes this.
  15. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

Oh, that’s a great moment, smoothnewt. Well worth seeing those matches, too.

smoothnewt likes this.
  16. Sundaytrekker

Is Djokovic getting rattled? This match could still go either way.

17. Sundaytrekker

He’s done it. Now for Federer and Nadal.

18. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Federer so far playing very well and going for his shots. Nadal is a borderline cheat (at times) if you ask me, he always takes his time and delays the server.

I am surprised he has not gone for his customary toilet break yet.

19. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Fed is soooo boring and robotic

20. neddyfonk

neddyfonk Lead commenter

So .... I have to miss Pointless ... for TENNIS. I suppose its more entertaining than formula one or cricket, but, its a complete waste of a tv licence.My apologies to all the aficionados - but I do not support any sportsperson that plays for any team or any country. I will go back now to building frog city- they have been watching me all afternoon creating cool, damp places with access to bugs for lunch.