1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Who’s enjoying Wimbledon?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Sundaytrekker, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

I am. I’m loving watching this 15 year old girl but I want to see Murray and Williams next.

bombaysapphire, Alice K and coffeekid like this.
  2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I love tennis. Yes the American has guts but the hype around her / the match and the commentators banging on about her / her performance blah blah is nauseating. I think the match is boring and now we have to wait til tomorrow for Andy and co ...

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  3. Sundaytrekker

Yes, the commentators and crowd were partisan but it’s good to see new talent.

Disappointing about Andy and Serena though...

minnie me likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Yes a refreshing Wimbledon on the whole . The ‘old guard’ looking exactly that :D- suspect it is still Nole’s to lose though.

Andyeee!

5. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I don't think it was boring. I really enjoyed the delight and pride on her mum's face.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I didn’t enjoy Nick Kyrgios yesterday. I particularly didn’t enjoy seeing him spitting , or listening to him ranting. Won’t need to do that again though.

7. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Whinge mode...... its not like the old days :(

Borg - "Oh what a pass" - Dan Maskall

Charlie Passarell, Dennis Ralston, Marty Reisson.... Pat Cash..... Vilas, even Nastasie........ this lot nearly all look like 6th formers

Yes yes I KNOW I sound old....

Loved Martina playing. and the gracious Yvonne Cawley (Goolagong) even Bille Jean (tho I could never stand Christ Evert (Lloyd) or the grating Tracey Austin (do wish she wasn't commentating.)

Still I am watching..... (have we noticed Raffa is losing his hair..... still with all his money he'll be ok. Never watch Federer - Xenophobia reigns..... am not keen on the Swiss) At least we no longer seem to have the plethora of British players who flail out in their first round game. We actually have some Brits who can play....

minnie me likes this.
  8. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

My new kitten....

IMG-20190704-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20190703-WA0000.jpg

It's almost like she's there.;)

9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Pity it's not a he - I could have posted "C'mon Tom!" :)

10. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I'm off work at the mo so I'm enjoying it. Shame we didn't see more doubles today as I like the doubles but hey ho, there's always tomorrow.

11. friedgreentomatoes

friedgreentomatoes Senior commenter

I'm loving it! When I was 16 I camped out overnight with a friend to get centre court tickets. We were rewarded with a Borg/Gerulaitis 5 setter.

grumpydogwoman and smoothnewt like this.
  12. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Agreed. It was a dreadful match, particularly after Hercog blew match point. After that so cautious slicing it back and forth. The crowd were horribly partisan applauding Hercog's unforced errors and double faults. Nobody played or attempted winners. Probably Hercog deserved to lose for being too cautious.

13. LondonCanary

Iplayer/BBC sport shows every court. You can catch all the doubles there.

chelsea2 likes this.
  14. dumpty

dumpty Lead commenter

The overhyping of Nadal, Serena Williams and now the new teen player, is nauseating. They even do this when these three are not actually playing the match we are watching.

As for this 'epic match' and 'thriller' - nonsense. The older female player choked and they both played the most awful pat-a-ball- back tennis I have seen in decades.

Yes, the teen is a good player and may well become a great player but give me a break, the standard of play (endless chokes, slice, slow ball, tears and tantrums) was in no way a testament to the women's game.

I just hope for the teen player she does not get made to believe the hype about her. Her parents are already doing the 'we came from nothing' articles for papers, where they send snaps of themselves.

The media wants its new Serena Williams to worship but come on, leave the kid alone. She is a good player up against an awful choker.

Don't overdo it. (Probably the most hopeless request I have ever made)

15. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Totally agree . I think the commentating team could almost have been accused of bias ? Re Kyrios match - they seemed almost disappointed too when the ‘ fireworks ‘ stopped. It was poor broadcasting and as per the norm these days in search of sensationalism.

Bring back Dan ‘oh I say ! ‘ Maskell ‘old school’ less is more ...

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  16. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

I loved watching the Gauff/Hercog match. Thinking of some 15 year olds I’ve taught I marvel at Gauff’s calm demeanour and intelligent play. She is a wonderful role model. What a contrast to the bad temper of Kyrios.

chelsea2, ilovesooty and Lucy2711 like this.
  17. LondonCanary

As mentioned above the play was poor by both players. The thing that made the match remarkable was how partisan (and arguably unsporting ) the crowd was.

18. Sundaytrekker

First set Herbert and Murray. They’re playing well. How tall is one of their opponents?

19. LondonCanary

1.96m

Sundaytrekker likes this.
  20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

1 set all and I think against number 6 seeds this will take some doing... and a mixed after this @ some point for Murray... eek ?!